Lightning owners step in. (1999+)

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
What are the pros and cons..

What year should you stay away from.

From what i can see, they are pretty much bullet proof.

I had an 01 before I got the cobra.
The short-block is definitely NOT bullet-proof...I was just one of the COUNTLESS owners to spin a rod-bearing while pushing power-levels that werent all that high. (was makin a lil over 400 rwhp and running high 12's)
Thats my only real complaint-- they used a generic shortblock with weak-ass rods.
Other than that, I loved the thing. Had a good trans, easy to modify/wake up, still has a LITTLE of a sleeper-aspect (had so many fun races and stores in that truck...embarrassed quite a few ricers and corvette owners)

If you plan on going fast and modifying a lightning - be prepared to spend $4000 on a new shortblock. I had a JLP shortblock ready to swap into mine- but decided to go a different route altogether (with the cobra).

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
:hs: i miss it sometimes

2cwr5t4.jpg

2z3ugzd.jpg

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
I miss mine all the time. One bad ass truck. Fun as an auto can be! Want another. The only difference between 99/00 and 01+ is larger maf,tune,headlights,tail lights,3rd brake lights.
The bottom ends are not bullet proof, most say 12psi is about as high as you want to go to be reliable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info