Antique Vehicle Plates

midwesta

GRIP
Feb 8, 2009
Dekalb, IL
Real Name
Nick Weir
Any one here have them?

I have an old truck I want to put them on because they are much cheaper than normal plates and the color would match the truck nicely.

The car has to be at least 25 years old to qualify for them, which it is.

Now it says I can only drive the truck to a car show or to a service station... but the truck is gonna kinda be my daily driver..

So do you think I will get pulled over and questioned a lot or no?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
my dad has a few vehicles with antique plates, one of which is our 71 gmc pick up, which i use more as a work truck than anything... drove it today prolly 50 miles... i dont believe we have ever been hassled... and the thought has always been if we do, we make up a car meet, car show, or something... or say we are taking it to storage somewhere... yaddaa...

yet if you are daily driving it, and you drive a specific route frequently, maybe a cop might start to notice you as you go by so many times...

we dont have to let the state know of any mileage or anything...

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I drove my Buick for 3 years daily with no issues. Probably put 10k on it and drove the same routes everyday. You don't have to send in mileage or anything. My dad has them on his 79 f250 and he daily drives that too.

Just get them $30 for 5 years is a steal. Plus most citys have cheaper city stickers also.

Oreif

Crazy Little Child
Oct 17, 2008
Schaumburg
You don't have to report mileage.
The mileage restrictions generally come into play when you insure it as an antique. But this depends on the insurance company. Technically you are not suppose to drive it daily. In the summer time it's easy to do since there is a cruise night somewhere every day of the week. I don't know anyone who has ever been ticketed for driving a car with antique plates for just driving it.

You will need to check with your insurance company. I do not believe you can just get regular insurance on it. They may require you to get Classic/Antique insurance because of the plates. The good news is they will insure it for appraised value not minimum wholesale. The bad news is they may restrict your annual mileage. But again, It all depends on the insurance company.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info