My new explorer, Just looking for a bit of input

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Bought it like 2 weeks ago, 97 Explorer sport, 5 speed, 4.0l.

CEL for 'lean on banks one and two'

owner said mechanic said it needed new O2 sensors.

Runs perfect, has a spec of rough idle when cold starting from the IACV, Cleaned the IACV and now it doesnt, replaced the plugs *Way out of gap*, flashed the ECU and now the CEL is back about 300 miles later.

I assume O2's would be the next thing to replace and just assume their old mechanic was right? 1 owner truck from Florida, so I have no real reason to doubt them.

Which O2's would I be replacing? Anyone know how many the truck has etc? Pre or Post cat would effect the Lean issue? *I assume Pre.... since the post doesn't do anything for the engine control, just measurement?*

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
you probably have a vac leak at the plenum. the 4.0l's intake plenum has a tendency to crack.

x2 to this. Its a reliable engine, but this isnt uncommon.

I was going to ask about that, where should/do I buy a replacment, and where is the best price for it? I know it needs to be done *Aaron pointed out something that signified that it would need to be replaced eventually when I bought the truck*

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
a cracked intake will set lean codes on both banks.
as for a replacement, i dont know. i would suggest ford, they might have an updated non-shitty design plenum but it will cost you a fortune.
you could try your luck at a junk yard, but the one you pull may have the same issue.....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
a cracked intake will set lean codes on both banks.
as for a replacement, i dont know. i would suggest ford, they might have an updated non-shitty design plenum but it will cost you a fortune.
you could try your luck at a junk yard, but the one you pull may have the same issue.....

IIRC Autozone does sell replacements for like $1-200? OEM style still, but atleast it'd be new?

I'll try and replace it before the 5.0 goes into the ranger.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
SOHC, Mine was the first year of it:

1997 Ford Explorer: Ford added another new engine for '97, a single-cam 4.0-liter V6. It was rated at 205 horsepower and mated to a new 5-speed automatic transmission. Other changes included an electronic transfer case for 4WD models. Mercury added a 4-door-only version of Explorer called Mountaineer

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
SOHC, Mine was the first year of it:

i'm sorry to hear that. the early SOHC engines are junk and a nightmare to fix when anything internal goes wrong.
there's a timing chain in the back with plastic guides that like to fall apart at higher mileage. the only way to replace it is pulling the engine out. the front chains (there are 4 of them IIRC) have the same style guides, but can be replaced with the engine in car.
good luck getting it timed after a break, there arent any timing marks on the gears. there is obviously a way to get it timed, but it's a giant pain in the ass to do.
a junkyard 4.0l SOHC will cost around $1k, too.
you would've been much better off with the OHV. i would say get rid of it quick. :roflpicard::ford:

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
they go well over 200K problem-free.

not exactly. transmissions aren't very good, plastic intakes crack, and the plastic timing guides fall apart (on the older SOHC. ford redesigned them in the later years). this is the tip of the ice burg, i get to work on this shit everyday. they are junk, ask anyone that has been around them.:ford:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
not exactly. transmissions aren't very good, plastic intakes crack, and the plastic timing guides fall apart (on the older SOHC. ford redesigned them in the later years). this is the tip of the ice burg, i get to work on this shit everyday. they are junk, ask anyone that has been around them.:ford:

Its Manual, I know the earlier autos are crap.

There are 'problems' with all cars, again, for what I paid, and the shape its in, I'm not worried about it sinking.

I was just curious about the manifold :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info