Tire experts, please enter...

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
This cooler weather has me thinking about tires for the G8 this winter. Like an idiot, I bought the G8 with the summer only tires. I was told that I would probably crash the car upon first snow fall. So I'm trying to gather my options here and think outloud.

1) Get all season tires and sell the summer only ones.

2) Get all season tires for winter and keep the summer tires for good weather.
I just don't like the idea of having tires removed/mounted every season. The rims tend to take a beating from all the swapping.

3) Get steelies and some winter tires and just do a swap in the winter

I saw some Good Year Eagle RS-A (High performance All Seasonals) 245/40/19 at the Tire Rack for a special price of $97. So that is a super-deal compared to all the other tires I've seen.

So far I'm leaning towards #1 because it seems to be the cheapest and least pain in the ass.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
RS-A tires are pretty junky tires all the way around for the G8. But they're consistently bad in all seasons so you could probably manage through the winter. I'd buy some steelies and snow tires, especially considering the G8 is a pretty powerful RWD car.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Get snow tires for the stock wheels and get some ballin wheels to put the summer tires on.

Not a bad idea, but I really don't want to spend money on baller wheels for the G8. I'm perfectly happy with the stockers. If any money is going to be thrown at the G8, it will be for LT's and an axle-back.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
19-inch winter tires are expensive. Look into some 16 or 17 rims with a tall sidewall tire. I'm sure the G8 forums have this covered in-depth.

I was cruising the G8 forum in a thread titled something like "winter tire set-up's", but no one really had any kind of specifics. I'll check it out in detail when I get home.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
depending on how much tread you have left on the summer tires, i'd go for option #3 and get a used set of wheels and throw some winter rubber on there. I did this simply becuase I didnt want my 18s getting banged up over our harsh winters and not to mention having to mount/demount tires is a pain. You might be able to find someone selling used wheels and winter tires together. Maximum performance for all seasons!

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
If you already have summer tires, don't downgrade to all-seasons. All-seasons don't do anything well, they are marginal in every way. Dedicated snow tire in the winter on a smaller diameter rim and run the summers the rest of the year. You won't regret it. Oh and don't worry about having a powerful RWD car in the snow, it's no different than a not-so-powerful RWD car in the snow. Both can have the back end come around on you faster than you can say "FOCK", just because you have 360hp doesn't mean you have to USE it when you're driving in the snow.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
If you already have summer tires, don't downgrade to all-seasons. All-seasons don't do anything well, they are marginal in every way. Dedicated snow tire in the winter on a smaller diameter rim and run the summers the rest of the year. You won't regret it. Oh and don't worry about having a powerful RWD car in the snow, it's no different than a not-so-powerful RWD car in the snow. Both can have the back end come around on you faster than you can say "FOCK", just because you have 360hp doesn't mean you have to USE it when you're driving in the snow.

My thoughts exactly. Have driven the Camaro through every winter since 2001, no accidents yet. Even drove it with the Eagle F1s through 2 winters, after that, got winter wheels and tires for the winter, summer tires for the summer.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Oh and don't worry about having a powerful RWD car in the snow, it's no different than a not-so-powerful RWD car in the snow. Both can have the back end come around on you faster than you can say "FOCK", just because you have 360hp doesn't mean you have to USE it when you're driving in the snow.

it's easier to control your torque when you have a motor with less of it down low...
So it does make a difference.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
i would say get some snow tires and a set of rims. you will need at least a 17 inch rim if you plan to fit them over the brakes though. ;)
i would check tirerack for wheels too. they have some alright looking wheels for cheap, and you can have them shipped with your tires already mounted and balanced.

Vogz

Moist Ass Bitch
Jul 4, 2006
Batavia, IL
it's easier to control your torque when you have a motor with less of it down low...
So it does make a difference.

:pat: So you're one of those people who can't for the life of them modulate a throttle? I've driven MANY FWD, RWD and AWD cars in the snow and the only standard thing I've found to be true REGARDLESS of engine power, is that tires are the most important factor in the snow.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info