Harmonic balancer removal help needed (97 GTP)

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
I was removing my harmonic balancer today and was using the autozone pulley remover with some 1/4 28tpi bolts. Every thing bolted up fine. I started to ratchet in the big bolt that goes through the center and removes the pulley. I was using the pointed metal tip that comes with the remover kit and it went through my balancer. Am I fucked on getting this off? I really need my car by next weekend.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any suggestions? If anyone could come out and help this week I will pay $$$$? I am sort of desperate at this point.

TIA

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
So this is now stuck in my balancer. Fucked?

IMG00010.jpg

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Hey, you posted in http://www.thechicagogarage.org/foru...ad.php?t=36311 and I know you now a lot about engines etc.

Do you have any suggestions for me? My brother (syp) is basically telling me there is nothing I can do. I really don't want to have to scrap the car because I messed up some threads. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
-Michael
_________

all is not lost

get a 5/16ths drill bit 3/8ths coarse tap a slidehammer and 3/8ths bolt of the correct length and a dremel and stone/carbide bit

drill center of puller nose
tap center of puller nose
insert bolt
use slidehammer to remove non oem component

if using a comonly sourced (rental type) puller i find it's best to leave that cap off and thread the OEM crank bolt into the crank till it's ~1/4inch from balancer face using the puller centerbolt without the nose thread the three puller bolts into the balancer and remove till it just touches the balancer bolt, loosen the puller bolt 1/4 inch and loosen the crank bolt similarly, repeat till balancer slips off

once removed, mask the cover/crank snout completly
grind first 1-3 threads with visual damage testing with OEM crank bolt

???
profit

Diavolo

Needs more turbos
Jun 20, 2007
Chicago
all is not lost

get a 5/16ths drill bit 3/8ths coarse tap a slidehammer and 3/8ths bolt of the correct length and a dremel and stone/carbide bit

drill center of puller nose
tap center of puller nose
insert bolt
use slidehammer to remove non oem component

if using a comonly sourced (rental type) puller i find it's best to leave that cap off and thread the OEM crank bolt into the crank till it's ~1/4inch from balancer face using the puller centerbolt without the nose thread the three puller bolts into the balancer and remove till it just touches the balancer bolt, loosen the puller bolt 1/4 inch and loosen the crank bolt similarly, repeat till balancer slips off

once removed, mask the cover/crank snout completly
grind first 1-3 threads with visual damage testing with OEM crank bolt

???
profit

I can change a tire.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Most cranks aren't threaded right @ the end of the snout anyways... Just get that tip outta there and see what the damage is. If'n you're lucky nothing will be messed up @ all.

You might have expanded the snout of the crank with the wedged puller tip... who knows tho. Get it out and see whats up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info