Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

hubage

Oct 7, 2008
mt prospect
In most cases black boxes lock in the data when the airbags go off. So even if you leave the car on after an accident, it still has the data from the the instant the bags went off and however many seconds before hand. Technically the black box is yours, unless your insurance company totals it, which gives them the title, then they can look at it. Or they just ask to view it and if you say no, they will probably deny your claim. These are only looked at in extreme cases though, it's not an everyday thing on every claim. It's a couple hundred bucks to pay a company to read the box.

Also, different cars hold different parameters. Some are very basic and not useful while other have a lot. It was originally intend to help automakers design safer vehicles. Though ulterior motives of covering their asses in the case of a product liability case also comes to mind.

(background: I was an insurance adjuster previously)

My GTO does not, I believe because the fact it was made in Australia and GM didn't feel like changing things.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info