SHO vs GTI

Taurus > any hyundai

Have you ever driven a 1997 Taurus GL sedan? My 100hp Hyundai with a 1.6L is faster than the 3.0L in the GL.

Keeping in mind that I know that it was also one of the Taurus' worst years in terms of reliability. And my sister first drove it for 2 years (bought in early '03) then since it was a family vehicle I shared it with her for another year when all hell broke loose on it. Alternator died 3 times in 3 months, some engine mounts went missing, batteries were dead in 3 weeks, and finally a 2-3" puddle killed most of the brake system. So then it was time to give up on it.

I would however not mind a pre-1996 SHO.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
hyundai throttle response < ALL

$10 says my toreass could beat your old VW.. and the new sonata ;)

I never said my car was fast or had great throttle response:dunno:

by the way...

Taurus SHO

PERFORMANCEFrom R&T:
0 to 60 mph.6.6 seconds
1/4 mile 15.2 seconds @ 92.5 mph

GTI-from C&D
0-to-60-mph time: 6.0 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.6 sec @ 95 mph

Sonata
0-60: 6.7 sec
Quater mile: 15.2 @ 93
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/download/0709_hyuson_lx_06_lt_final_ts.pdf

Plus you dont have the car anymore to find out or the license required to drive it.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I never said my car was fast or had great throttle response:dunno:

by the way...

Taurus SHO

PERFORMANCEFrom R&T:
0 to 60 mph.6.6 seconds
1/4 mile 15.2 seconds @ 92.5 mph

GTI-from C&D
0-to-60-mph time: 6.0 sec
Quarter-mile time: 14.6 sec @ 95 mph

Sonata
0-60: 6.7 sec
Quater mile: 15.2 @ 93
http://www.caranddriver.com/assets/download/0709_hyuson_lx_06_lt_final_ts.pdf

Plus you dont have the car anymore to find out or the license required to drive it.

His taurass wasnt stock...

The Sonata is pretty quick BTW.

As anti-import as I am. The new Sonata is a better car than the Taurus. Even though the new Taurus is LOADS better than the Five Hundred that preceeded it. 263hp 3.5 with a GOOD 6 speed auto for once ain't bad.

They are accually pretty nice I work at brown&brown chevy, hyundai so I get to work on em all the time I dono if its a good thing or a bad thing tho :pat:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
i realize it wasnt stock but let me put the same amount of mods on the gti and it would still be faster.

Definatly gonna have to Disagree.

SHODOGG a member of our local SHO forums, sold his 2 SHO's bought a Jetta GLI and modded it pretty heavily *I KNOW its not the same as your old GTI* but he said the turbo Jetta lacked the up-top OOOMPH that his SHO had.

He has since started looking for a new SHO and is selling his Jetta.

His Jetta and SHO had similar $$ put into them

Jetta ran a 14.3 with nearly 250tq

his SHO ran the same time, with far less power, and more weight, and had a higher trap.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Have you ever driven a 1997 Taurus GL sedan? My 100hp Hyundai with a 1.6L is faster than the 3.0L in the GL.

Keeping in mind that I know that it was also one of the Taurus' worst years in terms of reliability. And my sister first drove it for 2 years (bought in early '03) then since it was a family vehicle I shared it with her for another year when all hell broke loose on it. Alternator died 3 times in 3 months, some engine mounts went missing, batteries were dead in 3 weeks, and finally a 2-3" puddle killed most of the brake system. So then it was time to give up on it.

I would however not mind a pre-1996 SHO.

This is what I just bought for Kimi before Xmas, Not a looker, but its strong like an ox, and has a brand-new transmission 1995 ATX SHO:

PIC-0287.jpg

PIC-0288.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
That's good a brand new ATX. Those trans' shit the bed quite often from what I've heard.

Sounds like Fish with his roomate.

And yes, they do shit the bed, When beat on. *Which for many people is alot* for normal driving the trans is fine, it just can't take LOTS AND LOTS of abuse. Rebuild cost is nothing out of the ordinary, so its not even a big deal.

when I bought my white one, it was a 93 (First year of the auto, WORST year of the auto) it had 169K on the original transmission and shifted fine untill I beat on it for a year and it started to slip.

Mr Baytchos

TCG Elite Member
Jul 8, 2007
Cortland, IL
Real Name
Anthony
Definatly gonna have to Disagree.

SHODOGG a member of our local SHO forums, sold his 2 SHO's bought a Jetta GLI and modded it pretty heavily *I KNOW its not the same as your old GTI* but he said the turbo Jetta lacked the up-top OOOMPH that his SHO had.

He has since started looking for a new SHO and is selling his Jetta.

His Jetta and SHO had similar $$ put into them

Jetta ran a 14.3 with nearly 250tq

his SHO ran the same time, with far less power, and more weight, and had a higher trap.

14.3 with what mods? GTI can get into the 13's with just a chip ($600) if you go big turbo with front mount intake exhaust and lsd can hit mid 12's with DR's

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info