yea, my engine went BOOM! ** fixed and running with pics

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
SO I took the car out tonight with a warm bottle and got some gas. As I was leaving the gas station and on the main road, I get up to 45 in second and go wot, with juice. tires spin immediately (at 45 mph) and hits the rev limiter/ shifts into third and all of a sudden, BAM! a quick fire ball came out from under the hood. then my motor was still running, but bouncing off the rev limiter. so I shut it off and pulled her over... I call the pops to bring tools and flash lights so maybe I could get it home w/o a tow as I was pretty nearby...

well we tape up the intake manifold hole w/ duct tape and it was still holding idle at 2200 rpms, but I got it home.

started pulling apart the TB and idle controller thing (which I think was destroyed). tomorrow, I'll pull off the entire intake manifold and see what other hidden damage there is... but here are some pics:

Nov16boom004.jpg

Nov16boom001.jpg

Nov16boom002.jpg

Nov16boom003.jpg

Nov16boom005.jpg

You can see where we duct taped the broken 6" diameter piece back on so we could get er home. That piece also struck the hood and dented it outwards.
Nov16boom008.jpg

lost a washer nozzle somewhere...
Nov16boom007.jpg

You can't really tell, but the hood is dented outwards from the blast, right where the finger prints are...
Nov16boom006.jpg

This sucks... but atleast I didn't completely destroy the motor...

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
silentd said:
why are u using a rubber tube with nitrous? thats trouble... stainless steel is what you want to run, itll hold it in when you shoot.

looks like it shot the nozzle right out of the piping

the nozzle blew out when the backfire happened. it wasn't b/c of the rubber. And it doesn't matter anyways as lond as it'll stay put, which mine did till an explosion shot it out.
This is of the hole where the nozzle was

Nov16boom003.jpg

and so far the damage is just the intake manifold, intake, dented and cracked hood, washer fluid nozzle, and the cruise throttle wire.

I'm looking for a used intake manifold, but I might just high temp epoxy the blow off piece back on for the winter and throw the stock intake box back on. Fixed the cruise wire already. Might be my calling for a sportline fiberglass hood :D

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
Angus1211 said:
silentd said:
why are u using a rubber tube with nitrous? thats trouble... stainless steel is what you want to run, itll hold it in when you shoot.

looks like it shot the nozzle right out of the piping

the nozzle blew out when the backfire happened. it wasn't b/c of the rubber. And it doesn't matter anyways as lond as it'll stay put, which mine did till an explosion shot it out.
This is of the hole where the nozzle was

Nov16boom003.jpg

and so far the damage is just the intake manifold, intake, dented and cracked hood, washer fluid nozzle, and the cruise throttle wire.

I'm looking for a used intake manifold, but I might just high temp epoxy the blow off piece back on for the winter and throw the stock intake box back on. Fixed the cruise wire already. Might be my calling for a sportline fiberglass hood :D

Knowing the mopar 2.7l, your local salvage yard should have quite a surplus of 2.7l parts.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
I got a new intake mani for 60$ shipped with all sensors and TB off ebay. And I don't want any part of an intrepid 2.7 ... those were the ones that were mostly sludging...

took everything apart and found a small piece of debris/clog in my fuel jet at my nozzel... this could be how I went extremely lean...

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Car runs again! so after 10 days I got the old intake mani out, changed the plugs, customized the new intake manifold to fit on my car, installed it, replaced blown sensors, fixed the throttle wires, and reinstalled my broken intake...
after pics:

IMG_1339.jpg

The rubber intake elbow is duct tapped together b/c I could not find another 4" rubber 90* elbow anywhere. Not at Ace, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, a builder supply store and lastly, not even at a plumbing supply store! So the duct tapped elbow and busted filter are temp till I get a new intake or filter and elbow...
Also those block plates are for the egr valve stuff. This manifold came off an 01 and those piped the egr gasses right into those 2 holes. My car has the egr stuff relocated to I don't know where...
IMG_1341.jpg

Oh and the 01's also came with a cool intake feature called a "manifold tuning valve" It basically separates the 2 plenum areas that the intake runners draw from at the back of the manifold at certain RPM's to give the motor more low end tq. It closes at about 2500 rpm till about 4500 rpm where it opens up and then shuts again at 5500 rpm till redline. It takes advantage of pressure waves, creating a "supercharging effect" when those rpms are at a certain level.
Guy has dynoed his car with the valve active, or just open and he got 15 more lb/tq in the lower rpms with it active, rather than it just regularly open. My car doesn't have the ability to control this valve, but my father and I are working on rigging up a micro controller to activate the valve at the right rpms.
IMG_1342.jpg

I know it's not pretty but it gets the job done till I can get in the new parts...

And about running the nitrous again, I'm not too sure just yet, we'll see come spring time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info