Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
ForbesAutos has ten things you should never say to a car dealer, unless you feel like beefing up his kid's college fund. Hit the link to find out their rationale. The basic premise is hide your assets and weaknesses until the right moment, to not say stupid crap, and watch out for the little maneuvers that hand over control to the salesman.

http://finance.yahoo.com/loans/article/103787/Things-to-Never-Say-to-a-Dealer

10. "I think you can do a lot better than that."
9. "Sure, I'll look at the numbers with you."
8. "What's the lowest price you can give me?"
7. "I'll take whatever the popular options are."
6. "Oh, I've wanted one of these all my life."
5. "I'm not sure...which model do you think I need?"
4. "I'm only buying the car with cash."
3. "Yes, I have a trade-in."
2. "I can afford this much per month."
1. "I'm ready to buy now."

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
297060733909zf.gif

I agree.

NetChemica

Let me see your crack!
May 23, 2007
CrazyMook said:
Things-to-Never-Say-to-a-Dealer

7. "I'll take whatever the popular options are."
5. "I'm not sure...which model do you think I need?"
1. "I'm ready to buy now."

I took out the ones that don't really matter at our dealer. Our sales guys make the same money on all the cars whether it's a corvette or a cavalier. They also don't know if you're trading in your car or how you're paying nor does it matter to them. The car purchase and trade in are kept separately from each other.

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
I think it's too funny!! First of all, why BOTHER dealing with salesmen? I say do the internet. None of this, "let me go check with the manager" BS!

Bought my last 4 cars via internet to establish price. NEVER mentioned trade because it has NOTHING to do with the purchase. However, I do tell them I'm financing. Then do a switharoo once purchase price set in stone...

Is it right? I don't know. It's worked for me so far.

RebelGTP

Coyote Bus Lines
Jul 16, 2008
Rockford
Adding some good advice to this:

Secure your own loan before you go shopping. This way you can get a loan with a Bank or Credit Union that you trust, not anybody that jumps at the crack of getting a new car loan under their belt. This also gets rid of the stress of knowing if you can afford the car in the first place. This will also allow you to enter the office on your terms to get the car you want, not something that they are trying to cram down your throat.

Don't mention your trade until you are sure that you are getting the car. You can haggle down the price and still have the added leverage of a trade without the dealership trying to "misplace" your keys to force you to buy the car.

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
Agreed. My dad got screwed big time when he bought his Chevy a long while ago. This time I emailed all our local dealers on cars with the same options. I asked them to give me the out the door price. After that I called up the other dealers see if they would beat that price. The guy said, he can't beat that price but if I'm tired of dealing with the other dealers crap to come to them.

Came in there, went straight to the internet department, the guy was real cool and said we'll need to see a salesman first so he got one for us.That's when the experience turned to crap, just like the guy from the other dealer said. The salesman all had name tags around their heads with percentages. I guess they were what the customers rated them in surveys. Well, after test driving the car, we sit down and the guy writes down a figure. I laughed, it wasn't even close to the figure the internet sales dept gave us. He asked me for my credit card so he can show his manager that we're serious about buying, not thinking about it I gave it to him like an idiot.

Well after finally agreeing on the price, this was at least an hour or two later. The car color we wanted wasn't at their dealership. A cheaper model was there but it didn't have ABS, they tried to bullshit me that a car without ABS actually stops faster. Yeah maybe in gravel. The manager and the salesman were both trying to feed me that ABS BS. The salesguy was trying to TELL US that gold is a good color after we specifically told him that my dad didn't like gold. so he's basically telling my dad what color he should like. By this time it was evening and the place was practically closing. I'm like screw it let's go, I ask for my card back, they still wanted to deal. So they offer us the color we liked but the car had some extra options like side air bags, sunroof and I believe the 6 disc in-dash cd and keyless entry might've been the extra options too, don't remember exactly. We still didn't like the price as we were set on the price that we had from the internet dept. I told them we didn't care for the extra options. Finally the manager gave us a figure that $500 more than the price that the lower model had. We agreed on it. The salesman was whining that he only made $50 on that sale. Don't know if he was BSing or not but he didn't look to happy, he was forcing a smile probably because he was rated at 100% on his tag around his neck and didn't want a bad survey to lower that number.

I'm never going back there again. The whole process was very aggravating but in the end we got the price we wanted.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info