Got rear-ended. Appraiser for diminished value?

gray

Mar 31, 2015
So I got rear-ended today by a guy with a livery plate today while driving the Tesla in the city. I run a dashcam, so the guy can't make any insane claims and it's super clear he was at fault.

This is the first accident the car has been in so I'm pretty sure I should claim diminished value - however finding an appraiser seems kind of a sketchy ordeal full of questionable internet marketing and loads of ripoff report complaints. Anyone have experience filing a claim for diminished value?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
unless the gentleman rear ended you and then jacked up your car and swapped in a 3800 v6 I don't think you have a case... You might have a case of beer...

What are you talking about? Diminished value is a given these days if you are not at fault. If someone hits you and they are found to be at fault, you are entitled to diminished value from them and their insurance company. The amount is usually set by that insurance company. I'd call his insurance to get the value.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
If you're not at-fault, you can go after the at-fault party for all damages you've incurred. This includes repairing your vehicle and any other property that was damaged, and reimbursing you for the diminished value of your car due to the accident.

When working with their insurance company, you'll want to make the claim of diminished value. You'll need to put together a valuation case for you car showing the loss of value. When I went through this, I was told that receiving written estimates from used car buyers/brokers (check with Tesla). It's not easy, but worth it with a Tesla as I believe that you'll have higher than normal diminished value as there is a smaller market of used Tesla buyers and any stigma of new technology being repaired. (this may be somewhat true, but use it anyways :rofl: )

If the insurance company wont budge when you talk with them, file suit and then the insurance company will give you more attention and likely to settle instead of incurring more legal costs.

Whatever you do, good luck and keep us updated.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Illinois is a diminished value state, which means you may be entitled to the diminished value of your vehicle after an auto accident. The statute of limitation on diminished value claims in Illinois is 5 years, and Illinois does have uninsured motorist coverage for diminished value. You can't submit a Illinois diminished value claim if you were the at-fault party in an accident, or if the damage was caused by something other than a collision. You can see if you qualify for a diminished value claim by filling in the claim review form below.

Illinois Diminished Value Claim Info

Illinois Statute Of Limitations: 5 Years
Uninsured Motorist Coverage: YES
Diminished Value For At Fault Party: NO

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
I had to have a Ford dealer appraise the truck. I got 2 appraisals from different dealers. Submitted them to the at-fault party's insurance. They cut me a check for the difference between "book value" and the average of the two estimates as they came in below average for having an accident being brand new.

gray

Mar 31, 2015
So here is my understanding - Note: I AM NOT A LAWYER AND THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE. I'm partially writing this as an exercise in clarifying and organizing my own research.

I'm not sure what people mean by "there is no DV law in IL" because it's a property damage tort claim (where the tort system is expressly designed to make the injured party whole).

So there are first and third- party claims. A first-party claim is one on your own insurance - for diminished value, my reading suggests that this is only possible in Georgia. Third-party claims are ones on someone else's insurance (when the accident is not your fault) - in this case the insurance of the guy who hit me. because this is a third party claim, I qualify for diminished value (aka accelerated depreciation)

I'm expecting the Insurance company to try to deny the claim, and I figure I'll have to go to small-claims court. At this point I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. I was told that the small-claims route is also not optimal in all states as some have quite a few judges who had careers in insurance.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
I apparently have a note in my policy that 10% of repair costs are paid in addition to repair costs due to value reduction. But it was not considered "Diminished value", I will have to call them sometime and see exactly what it was called, it added $4 total to my policy a month

Shitty part, I didn't have this when the Dart was hit with Hail and missed out on about $1500 bones.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info