Things to look for: Suburbans/Yukon XL's

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I recently have a new addition to my family (Read: Second Dog, No kids), and am considering picking up a used Suburban since they seem to be the ultimate value proposition for Capability/Luxury/Price (Of course this is outside running costs). My wife and I also do plan on buying another property in the next few years, so we'd be looking to pick up a smaller double axle camper once we make that move (Yes, I know we go through cars quickly, but the current track record isn't half bad, we've had the cooper for 2 and a half years, and the mustang for 1 and a half).

I know there are quite a few members that have GMT400 and GMT900 trucks, what should I look for when looking at these trucks (Good/Bad/Comments)? I've driven plenty, but the only GM Truck I owned was a 5.7 powered 95 C1500 (which had a billion miles on it, but was rock-solid).

I'm looking at 2003-2008ish trucks since they seem to be able to be had loaded for $5-15K depending upon year/trim/etc. I plan on buying one that's fully loaded (So heated leather, sunroof, Nav,etc, etc, which seems pretty common on most all the ones I've looked at so far).

Yes, I'm a ford swinger, but I'm not enticed by Expeditions in the similar price/option windows, and do not want an Excursion. I'm also enticed by the fact that if a Motor or Trans Grenade in a burban that upgrade options are cheap and plentiful after seeing Smokinhot's build over all these years.

Pics for Clicks:

030b6a8d53004ad79579e75558a87ba1.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Um, confused, shouldn't this be an expedition thread?

Burbs rock. Try for an 07+ because better looking but 00-06 is good too.
[MENTION=19]Kay Jay[/MENTION]

If I was looking to spend under $3k, I'd buy a 00ish Expo in a hot second, but they just aren't known for lasting 200K+ like Suburbans. They also aren't as common to find for reasonable money loaded to the teeth.

I'm curious if 07's have issues being the first year of the GMT900, things like that is why I started the thread for some guidance.

Side-Note, also looking at Yukon Denali XL's as well, but only the 03-06 ones.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
99-06 models.
Rotted brake lines. Front diff noise/leaks radio/cd issues fuel pressure regulators. Broken off exhaust manifold bolt heads(head to manifold) mechanical misfires(broken springs/bent pushrods/worn camshafts) oil cooler line leaks/trans lines

07-13
Same as above minus rotted brake lines

11+ years working at a GMC store. Not Google

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
99-06 models.
Rotted brake lines. Front diff noise/leaks radio/cd issues fuel pressure regulators. Broken off exhaust manifold bolt heads(head to manifold) mechanical misfires(broken springs/bent pushrods/worn camshafts) oil cooler line leaks/trans lines

07-13

Dont forget trans lines, oil lines, and oil pan gaskets...

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
I've got an '07 Tahoe. The only issue I've had with it was gas tank vent. $25 part, drop the spare tire and it was a 20 min fix. The replacement part was just a bigger vent as the original one was too small and clogged. Oh, and front wheel hubs @75k miles after the last horrible winter with all the salt. Now has 81k miles and runs great, uses no oil and trans is fine. Towed cars and jet skis with it at least 20 times. Make sure you keep it in 3rd and not O/D when towing.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
99-06 models.

07-13

Don't forget the insane oil consumption issues SOME (Not all) early DOD 5.3's developed in the 07-09's!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
99-06 models.

07-13

Thanks for the insight!

None of those problems really sound like reasons to avoid Burbans IMO? I think of shit like a 5.4 spitting plugs or Durango's puking transmission are 'Big' problems. Rotten brake lines are problems on almost anything older in the midwest....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
2011 Tahoe here with nothing to complain about mechanically, GM was cheap in those days so don't expect much out of to the LS/LT interiors/exteriors and I wouldn't even write home about the LTZ. Just got done towing 5500 lbs from MI and back without an issue.

I drive a loaded 2013 K2500 with some regularity, and know that its not exactly filled with soft touch materials, but there isn't much to compete with it on that front.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Thanks for the insight!

None of those problems really sound like reasons to avoid Burbans IMO? I think of shit like a 5.4 spitting plugs or Durango's puking transmission are 'Big' problems. Rotten brake lines are problems on almost anything older in the midwest....

i wouldn't avoid it.

as i preach always, go south, get a southern rust-free truck. the 2000-06's love to rust above the rear wheel wells, behind the wheels, and in front of the wheels, and the rockers.

that being said, my 2001 suburban i had, has 29x,xxx miles on it now, on the original trans, engine, rear end, dif, etc. etc.

i replaced a waterpump and an alternator when i had it. that's it. and is like 6 minutes each.

i also personally like the 00-06's more... because they seem a little "beastlier" to me... i have no facts to back that up except a full sheet of plywood fits in the back with the seats folded down if you're into that sort of thing.

2000-2002 are quite a bit different than 03-06 as well.

me personally- id love to get another- except i'd try to find a 2500 6.0 with captains chairs in the back from the south somewhere.

03-06 have better interiors &dashes and not as many dash electrical issues. also the engines from 03-06 made more power than the 00-02 counterparts.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Thanks for the insight!

Frank you're right. It was early and/or I've blocked putting pistons and rings in these out of my mind.

Also on 07-13 oil pan leaks.

And 99-06 are very prone for leaking intake gaskets resulting in po171's

Glad I'm awake now

those intake gaskets are sooooooooo easy though that it shouldn't ever be a deterrent from someone with half of a sense of a mechanical ability to steer away from.

seriously like a 32 minute job.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
Thanks for the insight!

No and if you find one that's been taken care of you wont see most of these issues. i would recommend using high mileage oil with added zinc if you do pick one up.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Frank you're right. It was early and/or I've blocked putting pistons and rings in these out of my mind.

Also on 07-13 oil pan leaks.

And 99-06 are very prone for leaking intake gaskets resulting in po171's

Glad I'm awake now

How prominent was that issue? I've been turning people away from those trucks for that specific reason... Want to know if I'm off my rocker and 98% were fixed under warranty, or, if it's a crap shoot and I just told somebody to buy a 2-stroke pickup...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I did a ton of sets from 2010-2012 we don't see any anymore. The only thing we have that I'm putting Pistons in now for consumption is the 2010-2012 2.4 terrains

10-4. Glad to hear that.

sounds like the gmt800 trucks are the shiznit

They are. They just fucking are. I'll always have a soft spot for that body style.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info