Who has bought car out of state, and driven it home?

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] I know you did.

Well I have money burning a hole in the old pocket. And I found a STEAL of a deal on a car that I was considering. Enough to make me want to flush all our other plans for it. The wife said "I don't care" which means she really does, but I can do it anyway and just beg for forgiveness.

Problem is its in south fl. At a dealer. I did talk to the dealer, and the deal makes me happy. But at this point, Im not wanting to spend another $600-$800 for shipping it. Im over the whole mileage saving thing, so I don't mind putting miles on it. The car only has 6400 miles anyway so another 1500 is no big deal. Im thinking its going to be me flying down on a friday night, then pickup on saturday morning, and drive straight back through the night to sunday.

So Im looking at a one way next day plane ticket, plus gas on a car that frankly will not be getting earth shattering good gas mileage(its not a corvette). Also I do care about the virgin front bumper getting chipped up, so that morning I would have a clear bra put on by a local guy probably $400 for that. And a single hotel night.

So the way I see it, I either pay the money for shipping or I drive it back myself. The cost should be comparable if I go with inclosed shipping.

Buuuut, the drive would be a blast all by myself on the open road with this new car. Who else has done this, and is there anything else Im missing in considering doing this over just shipping it back? The experience alone would be awesome. Ive been on many driving trips with my family, and always dreamed what it would be like on some of those open interstates with something more exciting than a minivan full of kids...

Please no flaming, I'm just looking for friendly opinions, not looking to debate about anything or argue. And I don't think I want to talk about the car just yet either. I might not get it. I just want to hear some cool road trip stories to get cars or the horrors you went through in the process.

Thanks everyone.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
For me, I just asked Eagle to drive me to South Carolina, we hopped in the car and drove straight there. Stayed overnight and drove home the next day.

Driving thru the TN mountains was pretty awesome. I would definitely buy a car out of state again in a heartbeat.

It was nice to have a car following in case something happened tho. Was a nice peace of mind.

Also, it sucks to drive someplace warm, get an awesome car then drive back thru warm states into winter. Very depressing :rofl:

I say fuck it, fly to FL and drive it back. Just make ABSOLUTELY sure the deal is done and ready to be signed. Would suck to get there and have the dealer pull a fast one. I put a deposit down on the supra and it was a private owner. But I had complete confidence getting down there and making the deal happen. Was totally seamless.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
It definitely sucked to go from this to this only a few hours later.

16274280077_34ccb8c207_b.jpg

15840103263_9e7ee520a1_b.jpg

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
For me, I just asked Eagle to drive me to South Carolina, we hopped in the car and drove straight there. Stayed overnight and drove home the next day.

Driving thru the TN mountains was pretty awesome. I would definitely buy a car out of state again in a heartbeat.

It was nice to have a car following in case something happened tho. Was a nice peace of mind.

Also, it sucks to drive someplace warm, get an awesome car then drive back thru warm states into winter. Very depressing :rofl:

THAT my friend is the other issue I forgot to post. I don't want to get caught in some winter blizzard and have it get all salty. And this has been a FL car all its life without even a hint of road salt. So... Not sure what to think about that. Plus its so damn cold, its going to be very difficult to wash it at home once its here. Shit man that sucks.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Dont sweat it. The supra never saw salt until I got home. I just waited a few days and washed it.

I wouldnt even really worry about it. Just monitor the weather and budget for an impromptu hotel stay. We were in Indiana when it started to snow heavily up by home but I just said fuck it and prayed to the car gods. Worked out fine.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Dont sweat it. The supra never saw salt until I got home. I just waited a few days and washed it.

I wouldnt even really worry about it. Just monitor the weather and budget for an impromptu hotel stay.

What you said able having a chase car would be nice too. But this one is a 2013 with 6400 miles, and its basically new. Again lol not a corvette...and not a mustang. I'll probably get laughed at, but I don't care. I like them. Always have.

:noes::noes::noes::noes:

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I posted this in a few other threads about people shipping cars and costs.

I had my jetta shipped from the east coast for $400, the dealer has connections and can get it cheap. maybe not 400, but 500 bucks and you don't have to waste 2 days, buy a ticket and drive 20+ hours

its a matter if they want to help you out or not and who makes money on the deal

I think its nuts hearing people paying 1k for a car being shipped or more, and not even on an enclosed trailer, which clearly you shouldn't have an issue with if you are going to drive it home anyways

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
I posted this in a few other threads about people shipping cars and costs.

I had my jetta shipped from the east coast for $400, the dealer has connections and can get it cheap. maybe not 400, but 500 bucks and you don't have to waste 2 days, buy a ticket and drive 20+ hours

its a matter if they want to help you out or not and who makes money on the deal

I think its nuts hearing people paying 1k for a car being shipped or more, and not even on an enclosed trailer, which clearly you shouldn't have an issue with if you are going to drive it home anyways

Yeah open trailer is ok, if its up high and not at the back I heard. But inclosed would be best. And thats $800 if I do it. The dealer is an exotic car dealer and they ship shit all over the country and they couldn't do better for inclosed. But like you said its $400-$600 in this case for open trailer. Plus I will have to wait until they have a truck in the area. I can do this right now if I so choose, and be back in 2 days with it. Man I really want to drive it. Im hoping Im not sick of it after that long drive tho...lol And I won't want to eat in it or anything.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I bought my GTO out of state. Technically. I mean it was in California, but it was only about 4 hours away or so. Was still fun driving it back tho. Hell I didn't even get a mile with it before I stopped to fuel up before heading back and I got my very first "hey what kinda car is that??" comment. :rofl: I knew id made the right choice.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Yeah open trailer is ok, if its up high and not at the back I heard. But inclosed would be best. And thats $800 if I do it. The dealer is an exotic car dealer and they ship shit all over the country and they couldn't do better for inclosed. But like you said its $400-$600 in this case for open trailer. Plus I will have to wait until they have a truck in the area. I can do this right now if I so choose, and be back in 2 days with it. Man I really want to drive it. Im hoping Im not sick of it after that long drive tho...lol And I won't want to eat in it or anything.

You are willing to drive the car back, but want enclosed trailer if shipped back... da fuq?

Mine was shipped the next day after I faxed the signed paperwork back, they bid these shipments out, whoever is near and cheapest will get the job

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
You are willing to drive the car back, but want enclosed trailer if shipped back... da fuq?

Mine was shipped the next day after I faxed the signed paperwork back, they bid these shipments out, whoever is near and cheapest will get the job

Yes and Ill explain why. If I drive it back, it will have a clear bra installed and I sure as shit won't be following behind anyone close whatsoever. So that should keep road debris down to a minimum. But if it comes back on an open trailer, it will get whatever comes at it depending on where on the trailer it is. Inclosed will pretty much guaranty that it comes home looking like how it was when it rolled off the showroom floor. So like i said, it would be in my care with me driving, and it would be sort of protected with that clear bra. I would do my best to keep it good. Even pull off and power wash off bugs and shit before they glue themselves to the paint if need be. Does all that make sense?

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
Yes and Ill explain why. If I drive it back, it will have a clear bra installed and I sure as shit won't be following behind anyone close whatsoever. So that should keep road debris down to a minimum. But if it comes back on an open trailer, it will get whatever comes at it depending on where on the trailer it is. Inclosed will pretty much guaranty that it comes home looking like how it was when it rolled off the showroom floor. So like i said, it would be in my care with me driving, and it would be sort of protected with that clear bra. I would do my best to keep it good. Even pull off and power wash off bugs and shit before they glue themselves to the paint if need be. Does all that make sense?

It makes sense if you want it to look like off the showroom floor.... until you personally drive it back home yourself

I'd rather have a car on the back of a truck where the only bad spot would be the spot on top of the cab, everything behind it is protected... MUCH more so that driving a car at road height/level... even on an open trailer

I just had a windshield on a 2015 mustang rental crack within 200 miles or driving it around Austin tx, little rock just hit it perfect... so you never know

btw, a plane ticket, hotel, gas, clear bra, food etc is going to put you way over the cost of a enclosed trailer anyways

as usual though you already have made up your mind before posting, so kinda pointless to ask for opinions about doing this or not :bigthumb:

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Well I just got a text from the salesman congratulating me on putting down the deposit to buy it.....except I didn't. Just got off the phone with him and it was some other guy that put down $5k to hold it. Sonofabitch. He thought it was me that did. That was an awkward convo. Well shit. I was going to secure it tomorrow morning.

And it was a Camaro ZL1 in white with the black wheels. Loaded auto car with the moonroof. I always loved them but $55k+ new.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info