Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
891 miles now engine is blown - Corvette Forum

Well bad news today! Last Friday I had a catastrophic failure of my engine in my 2015 Z06. I was out putting some more miles on the car to get ready for my track event at road atlanta Jan 10 and 11. While making a pull from 35 mph I accelerated and shifted short of redline and boom. Car began knocking. I pulled over and popped hood. Could hear a loud knock coming from # 6 cylinder area along with a serious grinding metal on metal sound coming from the supercharger area.

Had Gm roadside service come tow the car to the dealership. Beware gm will only pay for 25 miles. My dealer which is the closest corvette certified dealer was over 40 miles away. I had to pay the overage of $40 out of my pocket. I will be fighting with GM over this one.

Dealer called today and said there was indeed failure in #6 valve train. They were instructed not to tear into the engine because it needs to be evaluated by them.

They gave me two options.

1. Allow Gm to take apart the engine and patch repair it. This option would of kept my original numbers matching engine in the car.

2. Replace the engine as a whole. This was the best option in my opinion due that I track my cars alot. I dont want any more issues with this engine.

So dealer went ahead and notified GM to send another engine. Who knows how long this will take. I really fell bummed out with GM right now. Sure this is a first year car and I understand that. But this is not the first time I have had to do R&D for the big GM. Just last year I was the first private owner to track my C7 Z51. That car over heated on a November cool day down here at Road Atlanta. Both the Transmission (M7) and engine. I made a post here and notified the engineering dept through my dealer. No one even followed up or cared.

My biggest surprise of this situation is that GM wasn't surprised at all about this situation. Seems this has occurred before with the test fleet vehicles.

I come here and post to not to bash GM but to warn you fellow Corvette owners before you go out and tune or modify your cars. Sure this may of been a issue in just a few but there was alot of looking into my computer files and such to find any mods. Sure GM would love to not have to pay for this $23,999 engine.

I will keep this thread update. Please please trolls dont destroy this thread with useless comments.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
d35.gif

Didn't the LS7 have problems dropping valves?

Sure did.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
This guy thinks he is really special. No wonder Corvette owners have the reputation they have at times.

Well bad news today! Last Friday I had a catastrophic failure of my engine in my 2015 Z06.

Valve train noise if far from catastrophic failure.

which is the closest corvette certified dealer

Because it has to be a GM certified corvette dealer? I can't imagine any dealer couldn't work on it.

But this is not the first time I have had to do R&D for the big GM. I made a post here and notified the engineering dept through my dealer. No one even followed up or cared.

Did R&D for GM? What is this guy smoking? :roflpicard: I can't imagine why no one followed up with him. Or even acted like they cared. Heck, the dealer probably just told them they notified GM engineering to appease the guy.

My biggest surprise of this situation is that GM wasn't surprised at all about this situation.

They didn't freak out about his one failure? Imagine that.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
:rofl: @ fighting GM to reimburse him for the $40 he had to shell out for the remainder of the tow. I'm sorry if I don't shed a tear for you...

If GM says the car needs to be towed to a dealer with Corvette certified techs and the nearest one is further than the coverage offered then why should the customer have to pay?

Covered for 25miles but GFY, we're required to tow it further.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
If GM says the car needs to be towed to a dealer with Corvette certified techs and the nearest one is further than the coverage offered then why should the customer have to pay?

Covered for 25miles but GFY, we're required to tow it further.

Yeah I know, I thought that was funny. I'd be concentrating on making sure the engine replacement goes smoothly rather than fighting that.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
He spent a 100k on a car, he should be disappointed.

You Ford owners should be much accustomed to that feeling though :hsughlol:

He should be disappointed. Shit happens and GM gave him two good offers. But he has a complex that makes him think he does R&D for GM. Come on. lmao .

Yes, my ford shit broke. Like many of them. But it was repaired with upgraded specs by Ford at no cost to me. I have said it before and I will say it again, Ford is the best sponsor I have ever had. haha

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Id imagine by "dealer" the guy meant a dealership that had a full time cert vette tech.

That is they way he makes it sound. I think the Volt is the only car that has specific dealerships. Due to needing charging stations (which by now most probably should have) and special equipment for working on them. My buddy is certified to work on the Volts and he has told me how things can go real bad, real quick if you do things incorrectly or out of order.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
talked to my two guys.

they said it isnt like how our XLR and ELR is (shit, the ELR could fucking kill you, so there is special training for it, have to put safety cones out when working on it.. etc etc..)

They said its a "Gray" area.. anyone can technically work on a corvette, but some guys just have training for the top trims.. ie.. Z06 s/c, ZR1 s/c...

Theoretically if a specific dealer doesnt have a "tech" that can do it.. they really shouldn't be selling that particular corvette.. how can they not service them? how do they PDI them? (pre delivery inspection).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info