Emissions: Turbo Miata w/stand alone

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I have a colleague with a 2000 (I think) Mazda Miata and Flyin' Miata's 1999-00 FM II Hydra turbo system. It's running the Hydra Nemesis (stand alone I believe) and obviously isn't going to pass emissions because the system doesn't output OBD codes.

What I'm wondering is does anyone have experience with that management system or Miatas in general and could advise on what he could do to pass Illinois emissions? Will putting the stock PCM, MAF and injectors back in be enough to safely drive the car to emissions and pass?

Or should he bypass the turbo somehow and go NA for emissions?

Here are details on the kit:

The FM II is a legend in the Miata performance world, and this is the latest and most powerful version. Expect approximately 265 hp at the rear wheels at 12 psi, compared to a stock 105 hp. Driveability is excellent and there`s no need to even remove the valve cover. You`ll get years of reliable high performance with this system. Even more power is available for built engines.

All of our turbo kits use the same basic hardware for super easy upgrade-ability. Full details and specifications may be found on our turbo page. Every part has been designed taking performance, durability and installation ease into consideration. We don`t believe there is a better (or more complete) turbo system available. With our kits, you won`t be making extra trips to the hardware store for nuts and bolts; every part you need is included.

Fuel management is handled by the powerful Hydra Nemesis. This gives you full control over every parameter of your engine, right down to individual injectors. A laptop is required for programming, although every Hydra is pre-programmed before it leaves Flyin` Miata. 700cc Deatschwerks injectors are included along with an integrated wideband O2 sensor, knock sensor and air intake temperature sensor. Since the fuel pressure is not changed, a fuel pump upgrade is not necessary.

The standard turbocharger is the GT2560R. This is our favorite all-around turbo, providing good power potential with good spoolup. A larger GT3071R is available and is best suited to cars with built engines. Cars with a stroker engine particularly benefit from the larger turbo. A smaller GT2554R is also available for those who make response their highest priority. Please note that the car pictured does not have the turbo heat shield installed.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Register the car to a PO box in a city without emissions.

Even with swapping back to the original ECM you not only need to be code free, you also need to pass the flags for things like EGR and HO2S performance. It sounds like with this setup it's never gonna happen. The best solution may be to prove the car cannot meet emissions and get one of those racecar exemptions (somebody here I think posted instructions on how to do this)

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Register the car to a PO box in a city without emissions.

Even with swapping back to the original ECM you not only need to be code free, you also need to pass the flags for things like EGR and HO2S performance. It sounds like with this setup it's never gonna happen. The best solution may be to prove the car cannot meet emissions and get one of those racecar exemptions (somebody here I think posted instructions on how to do this)

Apply for Show Car / Race Car insurance (I have state farm, its agreed value as well).

once you have that, get an affidavit from the EPA, fill it out, send it in with a copy of your insurance policy.

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/pdf/show-car.pdf

Should exempt you. Keep in mind its "to show, to mechanic, to race track" type. Drive it to work and a Cop calls you out on it you'll still get an emissions ticket.

The affidavit is the easy part. Finding an insurance policy you can live with is the hard part.

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
Apply for Show Car / Race Car insurance (I have state farm, its agreed value as well).

once you have that, get an affidavit from the EPA, fill it out, send it in with a copy of your insurance policy.

Should exempt you. Keep in mind its "to show, to mechanic, to race track" type. Drive it to work and a Cop calls you out on it you'll still get an emissions ticket.

The affidavit is the easy part. Finding an insurance policy you can live with is the hard part.
This. It only needs to be insured. I've never had them check what kind. There are a few places that allow unlimited mileage.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry

I'm not sure if I can post it here (the name of the company I've had with my "collector car" policy, as it may be in conflict with a sponsor), but there are policies in which you can get a good quote with full coverage for collector car, race and pleasure vehicle insurance.

P.M. me if you want to know who I'm talking about...

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
More or less what we've done in the past, is what you suggested. Put all of the Emissions equipment back, stock injectors, reset and return control to the stock PCM, pull the WG spring or pull a coupler off the charge piping and get a full drive cycle in.

This x10000.

It's not that much extra work and you don't have to go about all the BS trying to get it registered as a race-car. Flyingmiata guys do that because the kit doesn't require you to give up all of your emissions stuff just to put the kit on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info