Cheap Bluetooth Aux and Handsfree solution

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Its not duct-taping my phone to my head, or buying one of those stupid headsets, or installing a full on blue-tooth system in my car, its this:

Xtreme Cables Bluetooth Wireless Music Receiver (Black) 51901

909704.jpg

Got this in the mail the other day for the Mustang because the Aux input (and a 12v outlet) are both in the armrest, which is extremely challenging to reach into while driving, or stopped, or doing much of anything else. It is however super convient, because this adapter does have a rechargeable battery built into it, but it can also just run off the 12V instead while connecting my phone to it.

Tried it out this morning, and it worked wonderfully and is completely 'hidden' in my armrest. Obviously I have to yell at my phones microphone still for if I get a phone call, but I'll look into better options for that later on as well (Maybe there is a bluetooth microphone that I can sticky to something?). It took a little fiddling to get it to connect initially, but I suspect had I let it charge for a while before trying to instantly use it, it would have been easier.

Figured I'd share in case anyone else has wanted a cordless AUX option for their car to connect with their phones, especially for $15 I'm pretty happy with it. There is also a version with a microphone built in that would work well for people with AUX in the dash:

Xtreme Cables Bluetooth Wireless Receiver with Microphone 51902

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
for 5 bucks you can go to 5below and buy a wired headset with detachable Mic, plug it into your phone and use an aux wire to your radio and boom, hands free

ummmm, I'm confused here, so your phone has 2 inputs....?

or you are making a suggestion to how to add a better mic?

I'm trying to avoid cables at all, which is why I shared this as its a pretty slick solution.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm also in the market for a Bluetooth dongle to plug into the Aux for both the G8 and Mustang.

I thought about just getting a new head unit with the G8, but they're ridiculously expensive and my HVAC controls are integrated into the stereo.

I looked at a couple of Bluetooth adapters, but I wanted to see if anyone here had luck with any of them before I bought something.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm also in the market for a Bluetooth dongle to plug into the Aux for both the G8 and Mustang.

I thought about just getting a new head unit with the G8, but they're ridiculously expensive and my HVAC controls are integrated into the stereo.

I looked at a couple of Bluetooth adapters, but I wanted to see if anyone here had luck with any of them before I bought something.

I won't heavily use mine, so I can't attest to its longevity, but hell, $15, and its a working proof of concept.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber

ive been using this one for about 3 months now. rechargeable battery via USB. lasts about 12 hours of constant use. Personally I just used double sided tape with a AUX extension to mount it within reach and it also stays plugged in all the time. Automatically will turn off if no Bluetooth connection is found. No mic though

Aluratek iStream DockFree Bluetooth Audio Receiver AIS01F - Micro Center

0418608_713362.jpg

picked it up from microcenter for $30. works awesome! you have to go to the apple section and ask them for it though. its not on the floor.

the only complaint I have is sometimes the Bluetooth receiver wont pair automatically. so instead of just turning it on with one push, I have to push the power button and hold it in to go into pair mode and hit connect on my phone in Bluetooth settings. Sometimes it will pair automatically. When I first got it, it worked all the time so I believe mine just may have a tiny defect but it doesn't effect operation so I really don't care :rofl:

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Can you "upgrade" to that setup?

If you're talking to me, I've heard that guys have done it. But it is supposedly really expensive. From what I've heard, you pretty much have to swap out your entire OnStar system. And I thought I remember seeing someone say that you can expect to spend almost a grand doing it.

If it were just a couple hundred bucks, I'd consider it just because it would be much cleaner than any aftermarket system, and likely work better.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
How does a new car not have basic bluetooth input? I mean my base model mazda3 has it.

The Mustang has a pretty serious laundry list of features on a total no-option car, but alas, bluetooth is not one. I would have had to shell out $1300 for the Tech package to get a power driver seat, auto dimming mirrors, Sync, and Bluetooth...

However, I have:
True HID Headlights
Express windows on both sides
Auto on/off headlamps
MP3/CD that displays external Temp
Multi function trip computer
Keyless entry with FOB in the key
A true trunk release button inside the car (the early ones didn't have that...)
LED Tails and running lights

I would have rather had bluetooth, power seats, and Sync over the HIDS to be quite frank. I thought the normal headlights were fine in the previous model, and I'm sure it adds a hunk of cost.

And another Kick in the shins is that RAXIOM offers a third party GPS Stereo for the 10+ Mustangs for $700 that looks perfectly OEM..... But only works with cars that have SYNC.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info