how come Mercedes do not hold their values?

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I cant remember if there was a thread on this or not but im just curious... just doesn't make sense that a $100k car 10 years later is only worth about 15%

No different than BMW,Audi and so on. Once they are out of warranty the price to repair them is fucking stupid.

I did a CV and down pipe on a guys A8 because the axle broke taking out the cat. Fucking dude was in $900 just for the axle and cat. And that was all after market parts. I felt like I was raping him.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It's really a misconception that they break more often or that they are a lot more expensive to fix. The thing that most don't consider is that the drivetrains on these cars are generally much more durable than your average domestic car. Transmissions are generally expensive ZF units that are capable of handling much more power than the car puts out, suspension designs are generally better and then there's the rest of the stuff on the car which is generally a notch above as well.

What does break and what can cost some money is all the extras. Air suspension, navigation, window shades, HVAC systems, etc. I wouldn't say they're a lot more expensive than American cars but yeah, they're more money and sometimes needlessly complex to fix.

But if you're turning a wrench on your current car there's no reason you can't turn a wrench on a Mercedes or a BMW. I'm rocking a 2007 A8L right now with every conceivable option that stickered for $110,000 6 years ago and probably sold at auction a couple weeks ago for $10,000. So if you're willing to take the chance you can get a LOT of car for your money.

Why they really lose value so fast is two fold:

1. The type of people that buy those cars generally want the latest and greatest. Your average Accord buyer might go out and get one that's a couple years old. Your average S class buyer is going to get a brand new one and when the new body style comes out they're going to get a brand new one of those. They can afford the newest and the best which is why they bought that car in the first place so they don't need to get a last generation car. This is why the flagship cars (A8, S550, 7 series) depreciate the most.

2. The average American doesn't know how to turn a wrench and the prospect of paying for repairs on a 5 year old BMW is daunting. If you don't know how to turn a wrench these are very expensive cars to own.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I have a buddy that is a tech at mb. He told me how much parts cost and how much it takes to maintain them.

One of the few reasons why an AMG is not in my garage.

Yeah some of the AMG cars are insanity and the old air suspensions were garbage. Don't know about the new stuff. I know that I put probably $1000 into my A8 the couple years I had it and that same stuff at the dealer would have been probably over $5000.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
1. The type of people that buy those cars generally want the latest and greatest. Your average Accord buyer might go out and get one that's a couple years old. Your average S class buyer is going to get a brand new one and when the new body style comes out they're going to get a brand new one of those. They can afford the newest and the best which is why they bought that car in the first place so they don't need to get a last generation car. This is why the flagship cars (A8, S550, 7 series) depreciate the most.

I think you nailed it... everybody wants the latest and greatest!

and as for AMG - I watched Barker beat the shit out of his old MB (clk coupe?) eventually it blew up, but much later then we all expected - I think some of the AMG cars are better than others... but same goes for the model car that engine is in.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
I remember I used to have a few audi's and the biggest pile was my b5 S4. That thing was the pure definition of money pit.

Granted, it is only one car out of how many made but still.

I would buy an audi again just never that gen.

Yeah the older TTv6 ones were complete garbage! I was looking at the newer S4 V8 cars... not bad IMO plus that engine is in a couple different models which would make me feel better

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I was looking at supercharged E55 AMG's (04) a while back. They were pricey even with high mileage. I know BMW M3's and M5's hold their value pretty well. The big body models (S55 or S8), seem to take a big hit.

Beat up ones with higher mileage from what I saw. Good ones were close to 30k

You said high mileage ones in your original post? I was saying high mileage ones were low 20s high teens now ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info