My buddy Ryan's 10 second G8.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Yes? Do you actually believe they aren't?? :hsughlol:

When they have someone tuning them that is worth a damn then I haven't seen many issues with them. Mine held up just fine in stock form with 500+rwhp back when my Pontiac was mostly stock with just TT's. Yes, some have failed sooner than expected, but I would not consider them "piles of shit" as you chose to refer to them as.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I would. They are unreliable, inconsistent, expensive as hell to rebuild and severely limited on stall speeds. Not to mention it costs a small fortune to swap out this pile of crap for a real trans. Any little bit of spin and the trans has no idea what to do no matter how good your tuner is. I fought this battle and gave up. Ask Slolane how much he likes his 6L80.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I know I need to find a reputable 6L80 tuner, my trans tune sucks and rattles my teeth. At times it just doesn't know what to do. It has to be in the perfect spot for the trans to downshift correctly. I wasn't sure if it was a function of the tune or the transmission itself.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
I know I need to find a reputable 6L80 tuner, my trans tune sucks and rattles my teeth. At times it just doesn't know what to do. It has to be in the perfect spot for the trans to downshift correctly. I wasn't sure if it was a function of the tune or the transmission itself.

Speed Inc? Livernois (if you wanna drive it out there) That Shaun guy syp mentioned? Although that is a remote tune i'm assuming.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Speed Inc? Livernois (if you wanna drive it out there) That Shaun guy syp mentioned? Although that is a remote tune i'm assuming.

I should at least try Speed Inc. Brandon tuned the transmission, but I think it was one of the first few G8's he tried. And from what I understand, the tuning of the 6L80 is more complex than your average slush box.

I just hate to take it somewhere and pay $400-500 to find out that they can't do much better.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
I should at least try Speed Inc. Brandon tuned the transmission, but I think it was one of the first few G8's he tried. And from what I understand, the tuning of the 6L80 is more complex than your average slush box.

I just hate to take it somewhere and pay $400-500 to find out that they can't do much better.

The trans tune I had from superchips was actaully a good daily driver when I had it on 50% torque management. When I turned it off (at the track) it would bang gears pretty hard but got me my best trap speeds.

I would imagine that there wont be much of any gains to be had but you will be happy with a better shifting trans.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info