"build" me a 500hp LSX that runs on 87

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I am toying with the idea of building a motor for my boat. It is definitely more of a "what would i build if i could?" idea than anything right now. My 496 mag has really low hours and is worth around $8k with all the accessories still hanging off of it. At that price, i could probably build a motor and have it be a wash or close to it.

500hp is the most i'll be able to get away with while hopefully keeping my drive happy. Upgrading to a more stout drive is big bucks. The torque difference of a BBC vs SBC at low RPMs should be fairly gentle on it.

-500hp crank
-must run on 87 octane
-Naturally aspirated
-gobs of low RPM torque, average power>peak
-utilize as many factory parts as possible. Keeps it cheap to repair and parts plentiful.
-RELIABILITY. This thing will run at WOT for extended periods of time. 20+ minutes

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Personally, I am thinking something along the lines of an L92/LS3 stroker. I don't even want to fuck with a factory crank, rods, or pistons. The increased stroke will be great for torque as well. The active fuel management will help with economy as well, if i decided to stick with a GM computer.

-416/417 rotating assembly
-Factory heads/intake
-Custom cam
-Double roller timing set (can you even get one for an l92?)
-Hardened pushrods
-Upgraded valve springs
-Roller bearing upgrade on the factory rockers
-ARP head studs

I dont think that would be unreasonable to acquire for $5-6k

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
the merc bellhousing bolts right up to it KJ. You can bolt a powerglide or a th400 to a BBC and an LSX. the 496 is the same 8.1 found in the late model GM trucks.

Hardin, Indmar, and ilmor all make headers or manifolds for it.

I didn't realize the 496 mounted the same as older bbcs. I know the 496 is same as 8.1.. They are in Fucking everything too

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Now, I'm not positive, but don't you need a marine block and all that jazz? And why not be the first boat guy to use E85? Seems like the cheapest easiest way to reach your goal without worrying about accessive knock.

I would hate having to find e85 on the water. Cuz you couldn't. And there are some offshore guys running it.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I would honestly build another big block or raylar your 496, there are dudes with 500hp small blocks on alpha drives if your bravo can't take 500hp/500tq your beating the living fuck out of it, just let off the throttle when you get air and your drive shal live a long healthy life

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Now, I'm not positive, but don't you need a marine block and all that jazz? And why not be the first boat guy to use E85? Seems like the cheapest easiest way to reach your goal without worrying about accessive knock.

No sir. It would be close cooled. Meaning the engine still uses coolant, and that is cooled by a heat exchanger using the raw (lake/river/ocean) water. With a mix of an iron block and aluminum heads, there would be horrible dielectric corrosion.

I doubt there is a pump anywhere in the world for E85 on the water. The fuel economy and range would absolutely kill it anyways. A boat gets in the neighborhood of 1-2mpg cruising. I have an 80 gallon tank, switching to E85 would be a joke.

Fuel economy on it wouldn't outway the cheapness of E85.

Doesnt the boat motors use different castings of the same motors but allow for bigger bearings and such since they rev for long periods of time?
See above, and no, same blocks utilized in either application for the most part.

Why wouldn't you spend the extra $10 on 93 and get the extra power out of it....

80 gallon tank sir. Spend $4000 on gas for a season, then add the increase of premium on top of that. Premium isn't available a lot of places on the water either.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I would honestly build another big block or raylar your 496, there are dudes with 500hp small blocks on alpha drives if your bravo can't take 500hp/500tq your beating the living fuck out of it, just let off the throttle when you get air and your drive shal live a long healthy life

I wouldnt build a big block for this thing unless i found a smoking deal on one. Its been done a million times, id like something off the beaten path a bit. The Raylar kit is almost $7000. I can sell my 496 in stock form and get a brand new motor out of it.

This is only dreaming anyways.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info