Review: 2013 BMW 328

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
There's a girl at the BMW dealer that hooks me up with my choice of loaner when I go in for service. I like to tell myself it's because I'm tall, handsome and charming but it's probably because she wants to keep receiving a paycheck. Either way... I tell her what I want and she makes sure to set it aside for me. I'm basically a higher end Sools but she's totally cool with it and even offered to set me up with an extended test drive of a new 7 series if I wanted to drive that. Now that's service.

02_BMW-328i-Sport.jpg

I've been wanting to drive the new 3, especially the 328 since they ditched the inline 6 in the 328 and now rely on a 2 liter turbocharged 4 cylinder for power. That and the car has changed pretty drastically from the outgoing E90.

Drivetrain - The outgoing inline 6 was buttery smooth. The turbocharged 4 cylinder is remarkable smooth though still not as refined as the 6 but with lots of torque on demand and a close ratio 8 speed automatic transmission you're never wanting for more power. Up 12 horsepower and a staggering 60 ft/lbs of torque from the outgoing 6 cylinder, it always feels capable and in manual mode the 8 speed transmission makes you feel like you're in the race scene from the original Fast and the Furious... You just shift and then shift and then shift and after that you still have 4 more gears to go.

BMW-3Series-f30-interior.jpg

Interior - Much improved over the previous generation E90. While the interior build quality has never been an issue with BMW, ergonomics and design have. Interiors are not BMW's strong point, at least they weren't. Round about 2009 they demonstrated that they actually could build a nice interior with the new 7 series. That carried over to the new 5 series and now the 3 as well. The interior is much improved and even on my basically equipped model feels luxurious, something that couldn't be said for the E90.

Handling - It's really amazing and I'm surprised by that because not only is it an all wheel drive model but the 2013's are supposed to handle worse than the outgoing model. And I imagine it does but the E90 3 series set the bar so high that even if it handles a little worse than that it still handles better than 90% of what's on the road. Another nice touch is that whereas my sport package 5 series sacrifices normal ride quality for it's handling prowess, the 3 series feels like it handles almost as well (if with a bit more body roll) but also provides a comfortable ride when you're not pushing it. If BMW's intent is to make the 3 appeal to a broader audience this is a good move. I can't imagine how much fun the sport package cars must be if the standard non-sport all wheel drive model is this much fun.

3PZkh.jpg

Tech - All 3 series come standard with a screen now which is great because the car is rather complicated and the radio in the older models had entirely too many functions and wasn't even good at being a radio, let alone taking on a bunch of additional tasks.

The car is available with most of the features that you can get in the 7 series, blind spot monitors, heads up display, night vision, 4 cameras that surround the car and give you a birdseye view, automatic parking, etc. My car is a bit spartan. I got the basic screen (no nav) and that's it for tech.

The good news is that it's probably enough for most people. Bluetooth is standard. What really baffles me though is BMW's continued lack of USB support and the confusing method in which they implement it. For starters, you get a USB jack and an auxiliary in port in the center console. Great, now all I have to do is plug in my phone or flash drive and I can control it through the screen, right? Wrong. The USB port works with a limited number of flash drives and almost no phones. Plug in your iPhone? You get a message that says "Not Supported". This is 2013. I can go out and buy a Sonatra with no options that will natively support my iPhone and if it doesn't it will at least let me stream music through Bluetooth.

BMW's do neither of these things unless you opt for the 6NL package which adds bluetooth streaming as well as native support for iPhones, iPods, etc through the USB port. In it's stock form though, you'll be getting into your $50,000 luxury car, plugging in your USB cable for power and then plugging in a 1/8th jack for audio. No bueno.

Other than that the stock system is pretty inexcusable. For a car that starts at $36,000 and jumps well into the 40's if you add ANY options you expect something that doesn't distort at 50% volume. The rental Fords I drive with stock systems blow this out of the water and that's pathetic.

Ergonomics - BMW seems to have missed the message. Say you have a car like this and you want it on it's sport settings and you want to drive it in manual mode. Maybe you hit a sport button and then you knock the shifter into manual mode, right? No. First you get in, start the engine, press the drive mode button from comfort to sport, hold the traction control button down for 5 seconds to disable that, push the shifter to the left to go into drive sport mode and then knock the shifter up or down once to engage manual mode. It's not necessarily a pain in the ass but it's monotonous and it seems like there are different ways to achieve similar results.

For instance, you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that can tell you the difference between putting the car into sport mode by pressing the sport button and putting the transmission into Drive Sport mode by knocking the shifter over. If you do one or the other it doesn't feel any different than if you do both unless you have a car with the sports package which makes it all even more confusing. The car should know that if I press the sport button it stands to reason that I want the transmission to be in sport mode as well, especially considering that about 95% of either sport mode is transmission settings.

In-Efficient Dynamics - Most new BMWs come with obnoxious auto-start/ stop features and eco modes to optimize fuel fuel efficiency. As you can imagine, this represents everything that you don't want in a sport sedan. Putting the car into eco-mode results in very low RPM shifting, not downshifting unless you put the pedal to the floor, optimizing the climate control functions, limiting top speed, etc. But in standard and eco modes there's a peculiar start/ stop function that is always on and it's terrible.

Come to a stop at a light and the engine shuts off. Let your foot off the brake and it instantly springs back to life. This seems great except the benefits are dubious and the side affects obnoxious. The 4 cylinder engine starts roughly so the engine startup is abrupt and lurches the car forward, not to mention it's unsettling to have the car go completely silent every time you come to a stop. But don't worry, you can shut this off by pressing a single button but you have to press that button every time you start the car so add that to your list of button combinations to get your desired driving preferences and after a good 30 seconds on wearing out your finger tips you'll finally be on your way. Efficient Dynamics sucks.

The Good

• Improved interior, finally on par with offerings from Mercedes and Audi
  • Standard features like Bluetooth, a fixed interface display and tilting mirrors are welcome additions, if not must haves for a car like this.
  • Looks - This is subjective but I love the new front end. The entire car manages to be larger than the last 3 series without looking large. It looks like a natural progression of the last model

The Great

• Drivetrain - The 4 is buttery smooth and the 8 speed transmission shifts quickly and confident.
  • The Ride - Great handling and a comfortable ride out of the standard sedan. With the sport package this car is probably a monster. This represents everything great about BMW, namely the ability to make an average driver feel like a great driver and implementing just enough drivetrain nannies to keep your ass out of the ditch without preventing you from getting said ass sideways.

The Bad

• The stock stereo system. A base Ford Focus is probably sporting better tunes.
  • Lack of native iPhone/ iPod & A2DP bluetooth streaming. Inexcusable when even economy cars come with these functions standard.
  • Automatic Start/ Stop "feature". Poorly implemented and arguably not necessary.

Overall - If you get past the trivial ergonomics issues you'll be hard pressed to find a comparable car that's as fun, well equipped and as smooth as the 328. If you add the tech package you eliminate just about all of the car's short comings so that's a must. Fuel economy, power, handling and comfort are all amazing for an entry level German sedan. You can't go wrong unless you don't get the tech package and you find yourself saddled with that horrible stock radio in which case you can go very wrong.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Higher class s00ls :rofl:

A real man accepts his short comings and makes fun of himself before others get the opportunity.

Turbo 4? Didn't know BMW was doing that now. Hmmm

The only six you can get in the 3 now is the turbo engine. The other two are turbo 4's, both 2 liters, one 180hp/ 200 ft/lbs and the other 240/ 260.

This engine is really solid. If it reacts to a tune anything like the 6's do you can probably bring it up to 300hp without any fuss.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The 240 four is significantly underrated - Edmunds dyno'd one at 240 whp on a dynojet. The 328 with sports suspension is a mind bottling awesome car. So neutral and free on the track. Just tested the 328, ATS, S60, TL, C250 and A4 a few weeks ago and we'll publish our comparison on April 8.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Took the car in today to have body work done on it and I got another 328. This one is fully optioned, heads up display, two tone leather, navigation, etc. I think the only option it doesn't have is the HID headlights/ LED Taillights package. I continue to be impressed by the car itself though.

Those that say that BMW is losing it's way really need to drive a 328. Even in non-sport guise it's an amazing car. The transmission makes mine feel old and clunky, the engine has no hint of turbo lag and is every bit as smooth as a nice 6 cylinder and it's fast, like really fast.

I think the only reason I wouldn't want one is the same reason I wouldn't want an A4 or a Mercedes C250. They're built with premium materials but still feel like a basic car dressed up. This is why I wouldn't consider cars like the C63 and M3. If I'm paying that kind of money I want the top of the line interior.

Admittedly this is a complaint most won't have though. I tend to be really picky with this kind of stuff.

But if all out speed wasn't a huge concern, you throw this drivetrain in a 5 series and that's a perfectly competent 4 cylinder car. It's really amazing where technology (and turbos) have taken us.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I had a rental 528i xdrive with the new turbo 4 and was really surprised by it. If I needed a daily driven, big car, that gets great gas mileage, moderately fun, predictable in any weather, with all the creature comforts it would be the 528xi with the turbo 4. I've already had my fair share of quick bimmers so the straight 6 turbo motors are out of my system.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Update. My diesel 5 series had something go terribly wrong yesterday which resulted in it actually sounding like a diesel truck at idle. BMW gave me a 320i as a loaner. Not a 328, a 320. The 320 gets you the same 2 liter turbo 4 cylinder but strips away 60 horsepower and 55 ft/lbs of torque. Surprisingly it never feels slow and in some situations (say from a stop light) it actually feels quick.

My car is a no options model and when I say that I mean I just went to BMW's site to build it and I literally couldn't find an option that I had. And that comes with some annoyances. Like the seats which work like an office chair. If you are sitting on the seat and pull the side handle it goes down and back. To get it to go up and forward you actually need to grab the steering wheel and lift some of your weight off the seat. How hokey is that?

Then there's stupid stuff like the fact that the car doesn't require a key to start but doesn't have comfort access. What this translates to is you needing to pull the key fob out of your pocket to unlock the car and then needing to remember to put it back in your pocket before sitting down or awkwardly put it in your pocket after you've already sat down. Otherwise you'll find yourself sticking it in the cup holder or console and forgetting it every time you leave the car. It's just so half baked. Clearly the key and the car already possess all the technology necessary for it to have comfort access. Just make it standard.

Other than that, build quality is typical BMW with premium materials for an entry level sedan and a solid-ness that would draw comparisons to a bank vault but then reality sets in and you think, $34,000 for this? No. No way. No way ever. Either spend north of 40k to get a well optioned 328i with some features which is a car you'll enjoy driving or just get a Ford Fusion. You can load up a Fusion with the Ecoboost and just about every option for 34k and you'll enjoy spending time in it more than the base BMW. I'd say ATS but damn that gets expensive as soon as you add any options. Seriously though, there's no compelling reason I can think of for anyone to buy this car. There are a myriad of domestic/ Japanese alternatives for the same amount of money that are so much better.

Cliffs: The base 320i is for people that want other people to see them in a BMW. There are much better cars out there for the money.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Then there's stupid stuff like the fact that the car doesn't require a key to start but doesn't have comfort access. What this translates to is you needing to pull the key fob out of your pocket to unlock the car and then needing to remember to put it back in your pocket before sitting down or awkwardly put it in your pocket after you've already sat down. Otherwise you'll find yourself sticking it in the cup holder or console and forgetting it every time you leave the car. It's just so half baked. Clearly the key and the car already possess all the technology necessary for it to have comfort access. Just make it standard.

This is the biggest gripe about BMW is instead of doing packages that make sense they pull out key features that would be ideal in their packages as separate packages or options. Makes it damn near impossible to compare prices or to get the features you want when comparing different cars of the same model. Give me 3 main package flavors, stripper, convenience, and loaded with the option of a sport package for any of them and I'd be happy

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This is the biggest gripe about BMW is instead of doing packages that make sense they pull out key features that would be ideal in their packages as separate packages or options. Makes it damn near impossible to compare prices or to get the features you want when comparing different cars of the same model. Give me 3 main package flavors, stripper, convenience, and loaded with the option of a sport package for any of them and I'd be happy

lol i think that's the exact complaint people have about trucks but reversed.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
lol i think that's the exact complaint people have about trucks but reversed.

Ha, I can see that. Hard to make everyone happy. Some people want to highly customize whereas I want to bargain shop. When I bought my f150 it was easy to negotiate between two dealers with identically built trucks. Else the dealer throws that shit at you.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Ha, I can see that. Hard to make everyone happy. Some people want to highly customize whereas I want to bargain shop. When I bought my f150 it was easy to negotiate between two dealers with identically built trucks. Else the dealer throws that shit at you.

for sure. but on new trucks i know plenty of people would like to option things like different engines or different headlights or a sunroof without getting a knee massager built in

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
for sure. but on new trucks i know plenty of people would like to option things like different engines or different headlights or a sunroof without getting a knee massager built in

It's different here. It's like selling you the premium audio system but not the nicer speakers unless you pay extra for them. The ignition is already wireless. So the technology is already there but not allowing you to unlock the car with the key in your pocket and not giving you a place in the vehicle to stick the key that's already out of your pocket from unlocking the car, the "feature" is actually more of an inconvenience. It's just half-assed.

The anti bmw posts from Mike K keep coming!

I'm still swinging hard. It's a good car. It just doesn't seem like a good $36,000 car. There's too much stuff other well built, nice driving, less expensive cars have that you wouldn't in the base Bimmer.

Omicron

From Russia With Love
TCG Premium
Jan 13, 2013
McHenry
Traded in my 2009 328xi with 58k on the odometer on my 2015 M235i x-drive & love it. Went for the turbo 6 in a lighter/smaller car. Didn't want the 2015 328i. It just felt newer & bigger. Yes the 328i got way bigger from 2009 to 2015. My '09 had 6 months left on the maintenance & warranty package & I know better than to own a BMW out of the maintenance package warranty. So, I increased the horsepower by 90 & with a flash tune, I can be well over 400. I'll take it for a daily driver!!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It's different here. It's like selling you the premium audio system but not the nicer speakers unless you pay extra for them. The ignition is already wireless. So the technology is already there but not allowing you to unlock the car with the key in your pocket and not giving you a place in the vehicle to stick the key that's already out of your pocket from unlocking the car, the "feature" is actually more of an inconvenience. It's just half-assed.

I'm still swinging hard. It's a good car. It just doesn't seem like a good $36,000 car. There's too much stuff other well built, nice driving, less expensive cars have that you wouldn't in the base Bimmer.

that's something that the trucks do though too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info