Why are Seville prices so low?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I saw a 2002 Cadillac Seville with 82,000 miles on craigslist today for $4750. checking on KBB, private party, the used car price is estimated at $2,950. Why are the Sevilles so cheap in comparison to other cars of that year and mileage? Issues? Northstar? These cars originally listed for well over $40K so the used car prices seem low.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I have researched the Northstars and found a Hot Rod magazine article that says overheating these engines is death to them. The aluminum block threads that the heads bolt into do not handle heat well. Overheat a Northstar a few times and the head gaskets will fail due to the threads failing.

Key to a long running Northstar is supposedly allowing the motor to warm up and expand before getting on it.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I see these turds day in and day out..

i would DEF stay away from anything Northstar

DO NOT WANT

What kind of issues do the Northstars exhibit? Is this a case of seeing them all the time because there are so many of them out there and a percentage of them break or seeing them all the time because they have serious issues?

I have been talking with several (senior) friends of my parents who own Northstar cars and they generally like them.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
A lot of Caddys with the Northstar motors just aren't worth much. That motor has been known to be trouble with head gasket problems and oil leaks. It's not a matter of IF will fail, it's a matter of WHEN it will fail. I think the Northstar is what kills the value of those cars.

its not an oil leak per say but rather it burns oil- something with ring gaps where it just uses it. like a two stroke but not.

What kind of issues do the Northstars exhibit? Is this a case of seeing them all the time because there are so many of them out there and a percentage of them break or seeing them all the time because they have serious issues?

I have been talking with several (senior) friends of my parents who own Northstar cars and they generally like them.

i had a northstar powered deville. i fucking loved it and would totally buy another and would not be afraid of that seville you looked at. . the car got around 20mpg mixed, could get out of its own way pretty well- and was dead silent.

they use oil. so what. a lot of cars now a days use oil- i think it's actually considered "in spec" for the LS motors to use almost a quart :rofl: - id be willing to bet you could find quite a few higher mileage ones that were okay with the stock engine.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

i just lol'd at senior friends.

i seriously loved mine.. i was 22 when i had it :rofl:

i want a newer dts so badly so big and comfy.

20102.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
LOL! I'm 51 and I like comfortable cars. Woudn't mind a little seat bolstering since I catch myself hanging on during some fast turns in the Buick but there's nothing wrong with being pampered while you drive.

I was watching a DTS on Ebay. It was in Georgia so I didn't pursue it aggressively. Sold with 3 days left on the auction probably in the mid $6K range.

Here's the Seville. I should be able to get it for +/- $4K so it's hard to turn down if the car checks out OK:

648c147499_640.jpg

Attachments

• Seville 1.jpg
    Seville 1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 142

Bubbles

Regular
Oct 11, 2011
Aurora, IL
They leak... Oil out of the lower crankcase, oil manifold, both valve covers. They leak coolant - crossovers, water pump, head gaskets. The eat oil... Piston ring blow by.. As much as 2 qts in 1000 miles. They have issues with water getting sucked into the secondary air injection pump and throw ses lights.

Oh and the cats are bound to go out.... And nothing on them is cheap or easy. Trust me.

And on top of that.... That model year has the old style casehalves and heads.... Which means you will needs to expect to do casehalves every 2 years with crossovers and valve covers, and if the heads do fail expect time serts at 1.0 book hour a sert...

Oh and the trans will eat itself too...

Last edited:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
They leak... Oil out of the lower crankcase, oil manifold, both valve covers. They leak coolant - crossovers, water pump, head gaskets. The eat oil... Piston ring blow by.. As much as 2 qts in 1000 miles. They have issues with water getting sucked into the secondary air injection pump and throw ses lights.

Oh and the cats are bound to go out.... And nothing on them is cheap or easy. Trust me.

And on top of that.... That model year has the old style casehalves and heads.... Which means you will needs to expect to do casehalves every 2 years with crossovers and valve covers, and if the heads do fail expect time serts at 1.0 book hour a sert...

Oh and the trans will eat itself too...

Yikes!

I'll bring a flashlight and a mechanic.

This is INSANE for replacing a crankcase seal. Pull the motor, tear it apart, then seal.

GM Northstar case halves reseal - Mechanical Database

I did a couple spark plug certs in my Cobra so I'm familiar with the technique.

I still can't imagine every Northstar fails. Cadillac put them in so many vehicles that I can see you guys having a never ending supply of repairs if even 10% of them need service. None of the half dozen people I have asked about their Northstar Caddys have had such major issues.

What do you look for if you do want to (hopefully) get a good Northstar? Lack of oil leaks and no blue or white smoke from the exhaust? Clean oil and no buildup around the filler tube? Also, no grit or discoloration in the tranny fluid? Is there a tranny dipstick?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
i thought all you had down there was gravel roads? do you even have streets down there in the sticks?

Every time I get back up to Illinois I'm shocked by the pot holes and crappy roads. I'm now used to Florida's smooth, generally pot hole free roadways. Sure, winter takes a toll on Illinois roads but you guys may not realize how bad they are in comparison to many other States'.

Bubbles

Regular
Oct 11, 2011
Aurora, IL
Yikes!

I'll bring a flashlight and a mechanic.

This is INSANE for replacing a crankcase seal. Pull the motor, tear it apart, then seal.

GM Northstar case halves reseal - Mechanical Database

I did a couple spark plug certs in my Cobra so I'm familiar with the technique.

I still can't imagine every Northstar fails. Cadillac put them in so many vehicles that I can see you guys having a never ending supply of repairs if even 10% of them need service. None of the half dozen people I have asked about their Northstar Caddys have had such major issues.

What do you look for if you do want to (hopefully) get a good Northstar? Lack of oil leaks and no blue or white smoke from the exhaust? Clean oil and no buildup around the filler tube? Also, no grit or discoloration in the tranny fluid? Is there a tranny dipstick?

Request a private PPS and take to a Cadillac dealer and pay the 1 hour inspect fee... It will give you at least 99% of the issues the vehicle may have currently.

Also keep in mind of every case half job we do CP or warranty there are 5-6 people ignoring them... People just don't check their damn oil level or maintain their car anymore... (One of my pet peeves)

Also the only sign (other then the obvious shifting/drivability issues) the trans is on its way out is an SES light or history/current DTCS... Fluid is fluid make sure it's clean, full, and has been maintained including a filter...if not make sure you get it done. Don't flush the damn thing at that age/mileage you are asking for it. Good news is the tranny is relatively inexpensive in comparison to the casehalves with VC and crossovers

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info