Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
See below:

Now in its 19th year, the Ward's 10 Best Engines competition recognizes the latest powertrain technologies that are affordable to most consumers, boost horsepower and torque, are highly efficient, sound appealing and pair up well with their respective vehicles. This year's winners (and the vehicles tested) are:

3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S5)
2.0L N20 Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (BMW 328i)
3.0L N55 Turbocharged DOHC I-6 (BMW 135is coupe)
3.6L Pentastar DOHC V-6 (Ram 1500)
2.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-4 (Ford Focus ST/Taurus)
5.8L Supercharged DOHC V-8 (Ford Shelby GT500)
2.0L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Cadillac ATS)
2.4L DOHC I-4 (Honda Accord Sport)
3.5L SOHC V-6 (Honda Accord)
2.0L FA DOHC H-4 Boxer (Subaru BRZ)

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
They are awfully efficient albeit I don't think they need to be in this list

Ehh... are you talking efficient as in MPGs? My '04 goat got a whopping 14 MPG mixed, mostly highway from Orland Park to Northbrook daily. Now, to be fair, most of that issue was caused by the 4 speed trans, but still.

As far as power to displacement efficiency, the LS motors blow in stock form. A 6.0L making 400HP/400TQ, when many German companies can do the same with a 4-4.5L?

I am a BIG fan of the LS motors, the potential, simplicity, proven reliability (which is holy-shit impressive), longevity, and many other aspects make it probably one of the best motors in history, but the platform is dated and the technology is aging. I really don't see the LS series being around too much longer. GM will head into newer technology to get the higher HP just like Ford did with the Coyote and EcoTech platforms.

Cliffs: LS Series = Great Engine overall, probably best in history. But LS =/= modern technology.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah it's really surprising to see GM continue bumping displacement in these engines instead of doing more with what they have. 400hp out of a 6.2 liter engine is nice but it's not exactly a marvel of modern engineering.

I'm also surprised that the Ecoboost 3.5 didn't make the list. Long live the BMW turbo inline 6.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info