Domestic car shows compared to Import car shows

4DoorBlackTop

Addict
Sep 28, 2005
These are just a few observations. I drive a Domestic BTW.

1. Go to a Import show with an engine swap and they want to know how it was done. Go to a Domestic show with an engine swap and they say it's no longer "pure".

2. Go to an Import show with a Domestic and they all want to see something that they rarely see under the hood and want to learn. Take and Import to a Domestic show and they ask you to park in the back and hardly anyone will walk over.

3. Domestic shows give out Best of Show awards to the cleanest, least driven cars. Import shows give out Best of Show awards to a car comes out of the garage for more than car shows.

4. A car "Under Construction" at a Domestic show will be used to promote a business, not driven and will be under going a frame up restoration. A car "Under Construction" at an Import show will be missing the front bumper cover, the interior, the hood and, or, lack a tune or all of the above.... and be driven to the show.

5. Talk to a person at a Domestic show and they will trail off to the topic of politics. Talk to a person at an Import show and all they want to discuss is what they want to do next or what they are saving up for, for their next project.

6. Talk to a person at a Domestic show about racing and they will spend at least 20 minutes trying to set up the race to screw you out of your money. Talk to a person at an Import show about racing and they will jump right into the car and hit the street.

7. Go to a Domestic show you will see cars that are only taken out when the weather is perfect. Go to an Import show and you will find daily drivers.

Now, I am not bashing the Domestic scene over the Imports.... maybe I am, but these are just observations. I hate to say this, but I think it all comes down to the money. A lot of the Import crowd is younger. When you are younger you don't have as much money and chances are your Import is your only car. Domestic cars cost more as we know... at least those at car shows. So the people that have "show cars" for the Domestic shows can afford to have a car they rarely use and have a beater daily driver or a daily driver they would never want to take to a show.

Maybe it's my age or live for today attitude, but taking my Mercury to Import shows has been more fun than going to any Domestic shows. Same cars, 350s in nearly every restored car and awards to the car least used. I have never won an award at a show or track because my car is too slow to win an event at a track and too used to win anything for it's appearance.

If anyone wants to correct me or has anything to add go for it. With little summer remaining I'll be going to both Import and Domestic shows, but I would rather see a homemade Turbo kit for a Nissan Maxima that will run 13s than see a Nova on original tires.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I wasn't even aware imports had actual car shows....just unorganized car meets that usually contain rusty riced out junk with a few really nice cars scattered in-between. :dunno:

Actual domestic car shows usually have very nice cars with a few crappers mixed in. If you ignore the obnoxiously loud dj's playing the beach boys non stop I think they're good to hit up on occasion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info