Careful out there..

Hey guys, just wanted to take a moment, and remind everyone to be careful out there when riding.

My good friend hasn't ridden in a long time (prob 15 years). He learned to ride on smaller bikes and dirt bikes, and rode a Honda Interceptor 750 for a long time, but it was years ago (~15 years).

So last fall he bought a super mint 2002 GSX-R750, with only 5000 miles on it, and some upgrades, but mostly stock. This machine is beautiful. He decided not to ride the bike until he took the MSF course so he would be ready to ride. The earliest he was able to get in was the beginning of July, so I have been patiently waiting to go riding with him.

Yesterday he came over for us to go for our first ride together. We were taking it very easy, and just cruising. We went west on Main street from Batavia, over to 47, and headed North. We went up past North Ave., to a small road call McDonald, and headed back East. Cruising along at the speed limit, we slowed for a left hand sweeper to the posted curve speed of 45.

I was leading and went through the corner, and noticed that the lane was off camber. (sloped to the right for a left hand turn) which is completely unnatural. I looked in my mirror to make sure he was OK, and see him start to run wide. I make sure I am going straight still, and look in my mirror again and see him leave the road and go into the ditch! I immediately slowed to a stop and looked back to see the bike flip in the air, and him on the ground.

So I pull into a driveway, and run back to make sure he is OK (he was). The woman who lives at the corner came out to check on us, and ended up telling us that her mailbox gets hit about once a week. The last motorcyclist that lost it there hit it and came away very bloody. The owner said she has complained to the township several times but nothing is ever done about it.

Thankfully my friend was wearing all the gear (Shoei full face, leather riding jacket, alpinestars boots) and came away with a small scuff where his knee hit the ground. The bike did not fare as well:

Sorry to be so long winded, but I just wanted to share so that people remember to be safe, especially on unfamiliar roads, or with unfamiliar equipment. The curve was not even anything crazy, just a normal sweeper, but the off camber thing confused his reflexes, and he just didn't recover.

Anyone have a good line on factory painted fairings in good shape?

crash.jpg

GSXRCrash002.jpg

GSXRCrash005.jpg

GSXRCrash004.jpg

GSXRCrash011.jpg

GSXRCrash009.jpg

GSXRCrash008.jpg

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

Me too. It was surreal watching him crash in my rearview.

I felt awful that we planned this ride, I chose the route, and he crashed. But, I've been thinking it over, and really there is nothing I could have done differently that would have changed anything, except maybe choosing another route. But even then, it could have happened in a different curve.

I was purposely taking it easy and not even going fast.

I just heard on the radio that motorcycle fatalities in Illinois are up 70% this year over last. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the awesome weather we've been having, and people getting out there more, but that is a staggering increase.

:tear:

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
There is not much you can do. Don't blame yourself for it.
This is why before every ride or cruise I do I tell people "Ride your own ride. I will wait for you in the turns". I like to go fast, but if I have to wait for someone I would rather have them get there safely than to have an accident.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
Glad he is ok! Gotta remember to just lean it out and trust your tires and do what MSF taught us... head up, looking at the end of the turn, no target fixation. I see guys panic all the time in the turns and stand it up and apply brakes. I had that EXACT gsx-r 750 so my heart goes out to him, very happy its only fairings and not him getting seriously hurt.

Yup. Funny, when we turned onto that road, there was some gravel in the turn and he negotiated that well. But this turn just mixed him up.

I think he did exactly what you said. Target fixated (probably the upcoming mailbox) and didn't look through the turn.

Even though I was going the same speed or so, when I got into the turn, I had already noticed the off-camber, and when in the turn when I felt it, just adjusted by pushing a little more, all while looking through the turn.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'll pass them along!

I talked to my buddy yesterday, and he said he had some mild whiplash, and his upper thigh was a little sore, but mostly just bummed out about the bike.

I forgot to mention that there was scuffs on both sides of his helmet, a long scuff down the back of his jacket, and half of the sole of his left boot came loose and was flapping when he walked.

Any crash you can walk away from....

I am curious now if this is where Mr. Baychos crashed (lost it?) as Burtonrider suggested?

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia
Glad to hear all ended well (kinda) so tough to hear about people going down..

went on the support the troops poker run in my town on sunday and they said this is the first year in quite some time where they had no one go down... but thats mostly because its old school guys who drink too much.

Stay safe out there to everyone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info