BMW 335i

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Jun 29, 2009
Why no ix?

I'd probably buy a brojeep for winter, no point in driving it in illinois salt season

I absolutely like how they look (well modded) I'm still trying to figure out the bumpers and trunk combinations

4972726125_bc989e3a43_b.jpg

c5dd94a7267a4d0db9a7c045cc449431.jpg

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
ive also been considering this possibility. I really like them.
Ive actually been meaning to message Will about his experiences.
The one thing that I'm skeptical about is how bad the intake valves can get on these cars ( DIY-Intake Valve Cleaning - N54TECH.COM : BMW N54 / N55 Turbo Performance forum ). I'm not the kind of guy who would feel comfortable doing that kind of project, especially to an N54.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
ive also been considering this possibility. I really like them.
Ive actually been meaning to message Will about his experiences.
The one thing that I'm skeptical about is how bad the intake valves can get on these cars ( DIY-Intake Valve Cleaning - N54TECH.COM : BMW N54 / N55 Turbo Performance forum ). I'm not the kind of guy who would feel comfortable doing that kind of project, especially to an N54.

The intake valves do get carbon buildup, but for what it's worth running methanol injection actually helps to clean them and also add the benefit of running a little more boost. I run meth and I do conservative levels, but the nice thing is knowing that it's also helping on the carbon buildup front. There are plenty of high mileage n54 cars out there. They are pretty stout platforms and the pleaguing fuel pump issues from years past have been rectified and recalled with a newer design and 100k mile of coverage. I approve of that car. I have two n54 cars now and love em. If you can find a good 6mt car get it. They are a blast.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
The n54's were in the 07-10.5 years and the n55's were in the second half of 10-current. They are both pretty potent, however the n54's have been known to be more tuner friendly and more along the lines of a SD tune where as the n55's are MAF(IIRC). Also the n55's came with a single twin scroll turbo and the n54's are true twin turbo. The easiest way to figure out which 2010 car you have is to look at the engine bay. If it says on the cover "twin power turbo", then it's an n55. I'd lean toward the n54's myself as it's been rumored that 2010 and forward didn't come forged from factory like the previous years, but that hasn't been completely confirmed. Another consideration is the 335is and the 1M coupe have n54's and not the newer n55's so what does that tell you? Also try to find one that hasn't been tuned. It's hard to know for sure, but if you read the instructions on how to install a jb4 or proceed you will see the parts that come off. Look at the condition the tabs and screw are that need to be removed to install. They will be more worn than a regular car.

EDIT
Not sure if you are interested in the sedan, but here is some more info. The LCA(facelifted) sedans came out in 2009 so if you want the nicer looking sedan and the n54 you will need to look for years 09-10.5. Not sure if the coupes were LCA, but the sedans make a big enough differene to make me lean toward one. I have an 09. I also have the AWD which is known to be hell from a dig, but trap a few MPH lower than a comparably modded rwd varient. You can also get the AWD in stick, but they are a bit more hard to come by. If I could do it again I would get a stick AWD 09, but the steptronic is all good.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
The intake valves do get carbon buildup, but for what it's worth running methanol injection actually helps to clean them and also add the benefit of running a little more boost. I run meth and I do conservative levels, but the nice thing is knowing that it's also helping on the carbon buildup front. There are plenty of high mileage n54 cars out there. They are pretty stout platforms and the pleaguing fuel pump issues from years past have been rectified and recalled with a newer design and 100k mile of coverage. I approve of that car. I have two n54 cars now and love em. If you can find a good 6mt car get it. They are a blast.

thanks for the info. :bigthumb:
if i see you up at Lukes this spring I may have to pick your brain a lil more and take a look at the car if you have it out.
I know the manual 335's are really more of an enthusiast car and are probably more enjoyable overall. the only 335 ive really driven was steptronic. I assume they'd be a little faster in the quarter mile but thats about it :dunno:
Which are more common?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.