• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

BMW 335i

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Reaction score
Yes or No ?

I've been looking at them currently...

I6 twin turbo.... would be my first RWD car and the tuning options look nice for it. Juice Box, wide variety of manufactures for parts. Only thing turning me off, any possible repairs out of warranty.

thoughts ?

GTwolf

Reaction score
Blast to drive. As long as you can afford the maintenance go for it. I live the way those cars handle.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Reaction score
Why no ix?
I'd probably buy a brojeep for winter, no point in driving it in illinois salt season

I absolutely like how they look (well modded) I'm still trying to figure out the bumpers and trunk combinations

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
I dig. Get a cpo 08 335i and You'll get a warranty. Any questions, let me know. I like the n54 and there is a pretty slick single turbo setup coming out pushing north of 600whp on pump

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ive also been considering this possibility. I really like them.
Ive actually been meaning to message Will about his experiences.
The one thing that I'm skeptical about is how bad the intake valves can get on these cars ( DIY-Intake Valve Cleaning - N54TECH.COM : BMW N54 / N55 Turbo Performance forum ). I'm not the kind of guy who would feel comfortable doing that kind of project, especially to an N54.

Wessel

The Paint Corrector
Reaction score
If you are looking for one PM me as I am working for a used luxury car dealer and we are always buying 335's! I'll take care of ya!

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Awesome car is awesome

TonzKnock-G

Donating Member
Reaction score
If I didn't live in the city (south) where insurance will rape me I would be all over one.

Soulonfire11

Reaction score
I love the 335i. LOVE IT. too much love maybe... someone buy me one?

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Id love one as well. If the truck was worth anything on a trade in, id get rid of the 330 as well and rock the 335

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
ive also been considering this possibility. I really like them.
Ive actually been meaning to message Will about his experiences.
The one thing that I'm skeptical about is how bad the intake valves can get on these cars ( DIY-Intake Valve Cleaning - N54TECH.COM : BMW N54 / N55 Turbo Performance forum ). I'm not the kind of guy who would feel comfortable doing that kind of project, especially to an N54.
The intake valves do get carbon buildup, but for what it's worth running methanol injection actually helps to clean them and also add the benefit of running a little more boost. I run meth and I do conservative levels, but the nice thing is knowing that it's also helping on the carbon buildup front. There are plenty of high mileage n54 cars out there. They are pretty stout platforms and the pleaguing fuel pump issues from years past have been rectified and recalled with a newer design and 100k mile of coverage. I approve of that car. I have two n54 cars now and love em. If you can find a good 6mt car get it. They are a blast.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Reaction score
Are there specific years i should look for ?

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
The n54's were in the 07-10.5 years and the n55's were in the second half of 10-current. They are both pretty potent, however the n54's have been known to be more tuner friendly and more along the lines of a SD tune where as the n55's are MAF(IIRC). Also the n55's came with a single twin scroll turbo and the n54's are true twin turbo. The easiest way to figure out which 2010 car you have is to look at the engine bay. If it says on the cover "twin power turbo", then it's an n55. I'd lean toward the n54's myself as it's been rumored that 2010 and forward didn't come forged from factory like the previous years, but that hasn't been completely confirmed. Another consideration is the 335is and the 1M coupe have n54's and not the newer n55's so what does that tell you? Also try to find one that hasn't been tuned. It's hard to know for sure, but if you read the instructions on how to install a jb4 or proceed you will see the parts that come off. Look at the condition the tabs and screw are that need to be removed to install. They will be more worn than a regular car.

EDIT
Not sure if you are interested in the sedan, but here is some more info. The LCA(facelifted) sedans came out in 2009 so if you want the nicer looking sedan and the n54 you will need to look for years 09-10.5. Not sure if the coupes were LCA, but the sedans make a big enough differene to make me lean toward one. I have an 09. I also have the AWD which is known to be hell from a dig, but trap a few MPH lower than a comparably modded rwd varient. You can also get the AWD in stick, but they are a bit more hard to come by. If I could do it again I would get a stick AWD 09, but the steptronic is all good.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Reaction score
Gotcha, i have AWD now. Id like a RWD car for once so I'm leaning to RWD

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The intake valves do get carbon buildup, but for what it's worth running methanol injection actually helps to clean them and also add the benefit of running a little more boost. I run meth and I do conservative levels, but the nice thing is knowing that it's also helping on the carbon buildup front. There are plenty of high mileage n54 cars out there. They are pretty stout platforms and the pleaguing fuel pump issues from years past have been rectified and recalled with a newer design and 100k mile of coverage. I approve of that car. I have two n54 cars now and love em. If you can find a good 6mt car get it. They are a blast.
thanks for the info. :bigthumb:
if i see you up at Lukes this spring I may have to pick your brain a lil more and take a look at the car if you have it out.
I know the manual 335's are really more of an enthusiast car and are probably more enjoyable overall. the only 335 ive really driven was steptronic. I assume they'd be a little faster in the quarter mile but thats about it :dunno:
Which are more common?

Wessel

The Paint Corrector
Reaction score
We have a 2009 335i hardtop convertible dark blue automatic trans at Vicari Auto Haus. i find a link for u guys!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom