bracket weld prep

The passengers side lower control arm bracket snapped off the axle on my xj. so i ordered two new thicker brackets from an offroading vendor and new stock length control arms. Im a TOTAL newb to welding but my neighbor has a welder and knows how to weld. so he offered to weld the brackets for me so i just have to prep it for him. Im obviously going to cut off the excess bracket (angle grinder with cutting wheel?) on the axle but then what should i use to get it completely smooth for him to get a clean weld on there?? im all in for buying and tryin out new tools so lets here some idears. :bigthumb:

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
flap disc on a grinder

903484-xs.jpg

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
A big 110 welder will be fine if he knows how to weld. Set it up hot and fast (which thats how you should weld anyways) and burn it in. Just make sure you clean a large area to bare metal and clean up the new brackets too.

Also, don't just stick the bracket on their and burn it in. Take mucho measurements.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
A big 110 welder will be fine if he knows how to weld. Set it up hot and fast (which thats how you should weld anyways) and burn it in. Just make sure you clean a large area to bare metal and clean up the new brackets too.

Also, don't just stick the bracket on their and burn it in. Take mucho measurements.

:werd: clean the area good. A 110 can do the job but it may not get it hot enough. It'll depend on what wire he's using.

well, ended up taking the jeep to a local welding shop. seemed like me and my neighbor couldn't set up a good time since we work opposite schedules. either way it only ended up costing me $100 to get the broken bracket welded and the other one cut off and new HD one welded on. now onto the next problem of never ending problems on this thing. thanks for the help though guys :bigthumb:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.