bracket weld prep

pewterz55

Reaction score
The passengers side lower control arm bracket snapped off the axle on my xj. so i ordered two new thicker brackets from an offroading vendor and new stock length control arms. Im a TOTAL newb to welding but my neighbor has a welder and knows how to weld. so he offered to weld the brackets for me so i just have to prep it for him. Im obviously going to cut off the excess bracket (angle grinder with cutting wheel?) on the axle but then what should i use to get it completely smooth for him to get a clean weld on there?? im all in for buying and tryin out new tools so lets here some idears. :bigthumb:

OP
pewterz55

pewterz55

Reaction score
Ok cool. Will that be able to get the axle smooth enough for the weld or will I need something for better detailed cleaning

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
What kind of welder and what power is he running? 110v or 220? You'll need some power for a good weld on those

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
No....it just should be. I mean we're not talking sheet metal here. I'm no expert but I'd take to a profesional first before some lil welder dude does it. It's structural.

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Reaction score
A big 110 welder will be fine if he knows how to weld. Set it up hot and fast (which thats how you should weld anyways) and burn it in. Just make sure you clean a large area to bare metal and clean up the new brackets too.

Also, don't just stick the bracket on their and burn it in. Take mucho measurements.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Reaction score
A big 110 welder will be fine if he knows how to weld. Set it up hot and fast (which thats how you should weld anyways) and burn it in. Just make sure you clean a large area to bare metal and clean up the new brackets too.

Also, don't just stick the bracket on their and burn it in. Take mucho measurements.
:werd: clean the area good. A 110 can do the job but it may not get it hot enough. It'll depend on what wire he's using.

xringshooter7

Reaction score
:werd: clean the area good. A 110 can do the job but it may not get it hot enough. It'll depend on what wire he's using.
Honestly, I wouldn't use a 110 MIG on that. I' go with a stick of 6011, and whip it in there. You'll get damn good penetration with that

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Reaction score
Its only 3/16" bracket to 3/16" axle tube. If you can't burn that in with a 110, you shouldnt be anywhere near a welder.

OP
pewterz55

pewterz55

Reaction score
well, ended up taking the jeep to a local welding shop. seemed like me and my neighbor couldn't set up a good time since we work opposite schedules. either way it only ended up costing me $100 to get the broken bracket welded and the other one cut off and new HD one welded on. now onto the next problem of never ending problems on this thing. thanks for the help though guys :bigthumb:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom