MPG took a crap since it's gotten cold....just me?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
So today i drove from Minneapolis to Des Moines, a trip i usually make about once a month. Last month, with the cruise at 73, my hwy mpg was right around 27-28. Temps were right around 60 degrees

Today i do the same drive, same direction, and filled up from the same gas station and i'm getting 23-24 with the temp in the high 20's...WTF

So does cold air decrease gas mileage that much? I know it's not tire pressure, i checked them before i got on the road. Does this happen with anyone else every winter?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah last time I checked 4 days ago gas was 2.05, so I can only imagine now it is at 2.00 or below.

As for my gas mileage, I don't look to much into it while I'm down at school, because half the time I barely let it warm up and drive it 2 miles. So I'm idling for like 5 minutes and then drive it stop and go for 2 miles and turn it off. So it is extremely shitty either way.

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
holy balls... you must have fun a lot on that car.

my gf has a auto 2007 civic and she gets over 30mpg city only.

A) I hate fuck this car a good amount when I drive it usually

B) there's a stop sign or stop light every 2 blocks in this fucking town, and most trips I take in this car are less than a mile, so it's generally cold, stop and go, and not driven nicely for the most part. A trifecta of bad as far as mileage goes.

C) the auto civics are actually rated better for city mileage than the M5 cars, so I'm not surprised to see her get better mileage

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
A) I hate fuck this car a good amount when I drive it usually

B) there's a stop sign or stop light every 2 blocks in this fucking town, and most trips I take in this car are less than a mile, so it's generally cold, stop and go, and not driven nicely for the most part. A trifecta of bad as far as mileage goes.

C) the auto civics are actually rated better for city mileage than the M5 cars, so I'm not surprised to see her get better mileage

:bowrofl:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah I also just cleaned out my MAF and reset the computer, so I'm betting that my mileage will take a dump while the computer compensates. Plus it's probably getting wacky readings because it went from 70's one day to 30's the next, so who knows what'll happen. All I know is, the car hasn't run better in at least a year, and gas is 1.99 here, so who cares!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info