• HP

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Torque

Votes: 36 81.8%

• Total voters

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
First of all, from a driver's perspective, torque, to use the vernacular, RULES :). Any given car, in any given gear, will accelerate at a rate that *exactly* matches its torque curve (allowing for increased air and rolling resistance as speeds climb). Another way of saying this is that a car will accelerate hardest at its torque peak in any given gear, and will not accelerate as hard below that peak, or above it. Torque is the only thing that a driver feels, and horsepower is just sort of an esoteric measurement in that context. 300 foot pounds of torque will accelerate you just as hard at 2000 rpm as it would if you were making that torque at 4000 rpm in the same gear, yet, per the formula, the horsepower would be *double* at 4000 rpm. Therefore, horsepower isn't particularly meaningful from a driver's perspective, and the two numbers only get friendly at 5252 rpm, where horsepower and torque always come out the same.

:dunno:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
no, explain why horsepower is more importnat?

Power put to the ground is measured in thrust. Thrust = torque X trans ratio X gear ratio. A car with high hp and low torque has a high redline, thus allowing the manufacturers to give it a high gear ratio, like my m3 which has a 4.02 rear end. Cars with high torque and low hp have a low redline, meaning the manufacturer must use a lower rear end ratio, like 3.00. This lowers the amount of thrust to the ground a ton. Do a simple calculation.

We'll take 4th gear, since it is usually a 1:1 ratio. A car like mine with 414 hp and 295 ft/lbs of torque versus my Camaro SS with a 350tq and 350 hp stock (realistic numbers)
SS = 350 X 1 X 3.23 (axle ratio)= 1130.5
M3 = 295 X 1 X 4.02 =1186

Eventhough the Camaro has 60 more ft/lbs of torque, it has 65 less hp. Because of this, the M3 is actually able to put more THRUST to the ground than the Camaro. Make sense?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008

Totally agree with that. HP allows you to take into account RPMS though, and how long you are able to stay in lower gear longer. Which is faster, a car with 300 ft/bs of torque at 2000rpm that redlines at 3000rpm or a car with 300ft/lbs of torque at 3000rpm that redlines at 4000rpm? The later car will be faster, eventhough they have the same torque, the later car will have more hp and will be faster.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Power put to the ground is measured in thrust. Thrust = torque X trans ratio X gear ratio. A car with high hp and low torque has a high redline, thus allowing the manufacturers to give it a high gear ratio, like my m3 which has a 4.02 rear end. Cars with high torque and low hp have a low redline, meaning the manufacturer must use a lower rear end ratio, like 3.00. This lowers the amount of thrust to the ground a ton. Do a simple calculation.

We'll take 4th gear, since it is usually a 1:1 ratio. A car like mine with 414 hp and 295 ft/lbs of torque versus my Camaro SS with a 350tq and 350 hp stock (realistic numbers)
SS = 350 X 1 X 3.23 (axle ratio)= 1130.5
M3 = 295 X 1 X 4.02 =1186

Eventhough the Camaro has 60 more ft/lbs of torque, it has 65 less hp. Because of this, the M3 is actually able to put more THRUST to the ground than the Camaro. Make sense?

No, you just explained why gearing makes up for lack of torque

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
http://trucks.about.com/od/autobuying/a/torque.htm

Higher torque ratings are more important than high horsepower ratings if you pull a trailer, haul heavy loads or drive on roads with long, steep grades.

If you like to see how fast you can get from stoplight to stoplight -- or if you do a lot of other quick acceleration driving -- horsepower is more important.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
That is such a vague question it's not even funny.

You realize they go hand in hand and you can't have one without the other?

But, you can have such a strange combination of both. For the most part, american muscle cars have a lot of torque and a decent amount of hp. Imports usually have low torque high hp, the question comes down to, which ratio is more important when you want speed.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
That is such a vague question it's not even funny.

You realize they go hand in hand and you can't have one without the other?

i believe YOU made this exact thread a long time ago or a variation of it. i just made it to have a legit discussion for once instead of the same ol ford sucks, honda sucks, etc

Thread Info