đź“° Auto News GM halts production on Volt

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/02/autos/volt_production_stopped/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- General Motors said Friday it is halting the Detroit production line for the Chevrolet Volt for five weeks as the automaker works to sell down its existing inventory of the plug-in car.
As part of the shut-down, GM will temporarily lay off 1,300 workers at the plant.

Sales of the gas-electric car had been flagging. GM had a set a goal of selling 10,000 Volts by the end of 2011, but was only able to sell about 7,600 by then.

Last month, Volt sales actually rose substantially compared to the prior months. Chevrolet dealers sold 1,023 of the cars in February compared to only 600 in January.

Still, GM has more Volts sitting on dealer lots than it has buyers. GM had, in the past, said slow sales were the result of an insufficient supply of cars, not a lack of demand. Now, the carmaker is admitting that supply is no longer the problem.

"We have more than enough to meet our demand," GM spokeswoman Michelle Malcho said.

The automaker had recently launched a new marketing campaign to boost the car's image following a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration investigation into possible battery fires. That investigation closed last month after the agency determined there was no greater risk of fire in the Volt than in any ordinary gasoline-powered car.

Even so, GM made changes to the car to better protect the battery pack in side crashes.

During the investigation, GM offered to lend other cars to Volt owners who might be concerned about their safety and even offered to buy back the cars.

Besides Volts for sale in the U.S., the Detroit factory also produces a versions of the car for Europe where it sells with a somewhat different design as the Opel Ampera.

It is not unusual for automakers to temporarily shut down factories when inventories of certain models get backed up. The Volt, however, has been a halo vehicle for GM and, compared to more mainstream cars, sales goals for it were relatively modest.

When it was introduced, the Volt won numerous awards and has earned the recommendation of Consumer Reports magazine.

The Chevrolet Volt is a so-called "range-extended electric car." It can go about 35 miles on a fully charged battery before a gasoline engine generates power for further driving."

:mamoru:

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
why buy an electric car/hybrid, when you can get over 40mpg from most small gas cars now days - most people drive higways for commuting - hybrid and electrics are really only good for city driving -

Volts when used properly are getting 100+mpg....

The fire thing with the Volt really made buyers weary. And the fact that its 40grand doesnt help. Also the majority of the public see a hybrid as a hybrid be it plug in or not. So I blame it on the public not being informed enough, which, is GM faullt

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

The fire thing with the Volt really made buyers weary. And the fact that its 40grand doesnt help. Also the majority of the public see a hybrid as a hybrid be it plug in or not. So I blame it on the public not being informed enough, which, is GM faullt

This is true. The public doesn't understand why it's 40k so they stay away. I've been taking classes for months on it and I can tell you I'm surprised the cost is that low. Short of spacecraft I've never seem such complicated and sophisticated hardware and software

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

Eh. Most people who want to go electric want to go 100 percent. Not 50 percent like the Volt. The Leaf is those people's answer. I've put thousands of miles on our Volt and unless you're using it as only an electric car, we get 30-37 mpg once the gas engine kicks in. Yes, the average is higher when tallied with electric range. The car tells us our total average, and after 15,000 miles it's in the 50s. Albeit with a lot of gas driving. But if you're only going to use it as an electric car for the best range, then why not buy the Leaf for less money and more range? The Volt is still a great car but it doesn't seem the market for range extenders is there yet, which could change. I would like it to at least see Prius gas mileage once the gas engine starts.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
The only answer i can give you for that is take a family where one member may use the volt to go to work and back. lets say they work 20 miles from home. theoretically they can make their work commute without using a drop of gasoline. but let's say that same family likes to go and do stuff on the weekends thats further than 50 miles from home. The leaf would leave them stranded. think about how many times you have driven over 100 miles a day. The biggest reason i would never get a full electric car is range anxiety. Now that being said i don't understand why they decided to use the engine that they did inside the volt. its basically a non turbo version of the turbo cruze engine. It runs at like 2000 or 4500 (can't remember exactly) rpm constant to generate electricity. this seems like a waste to me. why not design a specific engine that would optimize fuel efficiency at these rpm's or use a smaller diesel engine that would generate the same about of torque to turn the generator but at a lower rpm? They also made a mistake in trying to make a "premium" car as their first gas/electric range extender. I can see both sides of the argument; on one side GM wanted the public to associate their volt as this amazing technology packed car that is futuristic and luxurious, but on the other hand they screwed themselves by pricing it at 40K when a "similar"(in the public's eyes anyway) prius can be had for under 30K. would it have been smarter for GM to make an ultra economy gas/electric car first? They didn't think so, but it seems for now at least that they were wrong.

Prevent

ilikemtb999 is my friend
Jun 29, 2009
This is true. The public doesn't understand why it's 40k so they stay away. I've been taking classes for months on it and I can tell you I'm surprised the cost is that low. Short of spacecraft I've never seem such complicated and sophisticated hardware and software

the cost upfront is so low.

They said there's like $150,000 in tax payer subsides in each chevy volt.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
The only answer i can give you for that is take a family where one member may use the volt to go to work and back. lets say they work 20 miles from home. theoretically they can make their work commute without using a drop of gasoline. but let's say that same family likes to go and do stuff on the weekends thats further than 50 miles from home. The leaf would leave them stranded. think about how many times you have driven over 100 miles a day. The biggest reason i would never get a full electric car is range anxiety. Now that being said i don't understand why they decided to use the engine that they did inside the volt. its basically a non turbo version of the turbo cruze engine. It runs at like 2000 or 4500 (can't remember exactly) rpm constant to generate electricity. this seems like a waste to me. why not design a specific engine that would optimize fuel efficiency at these rpm's or use a smaller diesel engine that would generate the same about of torque to turn the generator but at a lower rpm? They also made a mistake in trying to make a "premium" car as their first gas/electric range extender. I can see both sides of the argument; on one side GM wanted the public to associate their volt as this amazing technology packed car that is futuristic and luxurious, but on the other hand they screwed themselves by pricing it at 40K when a "similar"(in the public's eyes anyway) prius can be had for under 30K. would it have been smarter for GM to make an ultra economy gas/electric car first? They didn't think so, but it seems for now at least that they were wrong.

In that limited scenario the Volt would be the choice, but its obvious by sales numbers that the buyer in that situation just isn't there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info