Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Have we told you how badly we want a reboot of the Toyota Supra? One of the iconic cars of Gen X youth, the Supra died an untimely death in the mid-1990s along with the rest of the Japanese sports car market. This was, of course, long before most of us had managed to graduate from college and get decent enough jobs to be able to afford anything more exciting than a used Honda Civic.

So yes, we hang on every word out of Japan, and the latest comes via Motor Trend. It's reporting that a hybrid, 400-horsepower, 3.5-liter V6 powertrain is being tested for possible release in 2015. The new Supra would look a lot like the FT-HS concept that Toyota showed at the 2007 Detroit Auto Show, according to the magazine, which also says that if we really want to see this Supra successor, we'd better hope the Toyota GT 86/Scion FR-S does well.

That last line probably is very important. I'm willing to bet a lot of new "fun" toyota cars are going to hinge on the 86 success.

also, 400hp? really? come on.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
they need it to be closer to 500 hp if they want it to compete with vettes and vipers, and nissan GTR's.

They already have a car for that, it's called the LFA.

at or near the 400 mark, I'd imagine they are aiming for something above the Scion FR-s (obviously), to fight with the likes of the Mustang GT, Camaro SS, WRX, and the new Evo eventually (which is rumored to also be hybrid).

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
They already have a car for that, it's called the LFA.

at or near the 400 mark, I'd imagine they are aiming for something above the Scion FR-s (obviously), to fight with the likes of the Mustang GT, Camaro SS, WRX, and the new Evo eventually (which is rumored to also be hybrid).

Really?? A $400,000 car is made to compete with cars 1/4 the price?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Really?? A $400,000 car is made to compete with cars 1/4 the price?

Yes. The GTR is a Showcase of technology and power, as is the Viper and Z06/ZR1 Vettes. They are cars that show "What the car maker can do". Yes, the technology in the Vette and even viper isn't super advanced, but they still crack off crazy fast time on race tracks to make a point of "What they are able to do"

The LFA is no different, it is/was a Halo car.

The same argument can be had with the M3 Vs. a Mustang GT. A car with similar performance numbers and twice the price, but the car with twice the price is far more exclusive, and isn't really targeted for the same buyers.

The market segment that Toyota would be attacking (and already are with the FR-S) is the entry level sports car market. They have made it fairly clear that they don't plan on putting a turbo in the FRS at this time, which especially leaves the window open for a 400hp 'Supra' to be built to combat things like I already listed off.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I don't think a Supra ever was a direct competitor to the Vette... Was it?

Back in the early/mid 90's it was, both were 300hp 2 door coupes :dunno:.

The LS motors entered F-bodies and vettes right as the Supra was discontinued. *edit*

Weren't TT supra's like $50k?

I don't think vettes were near that back then

TT Supra's were in the high 30s back in the mid 90's.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Just happy Toyota is finally throwing something into the ring. You know it is bad when the sportiest cars they made were their Lexus IS300 or GS400's for a while there. The Z has been out for so long and the RX8 has already come and gone along with the S2000. Just a bad time to try and sell sports cars right now.

They were all GT sports cars at the time. I used to have a link to a magazine pdf where they compared 300zx, Mk4 supra, 3000gt, RX-7 and I thought a Corvette. Corvette was outclassed until they bumped up the hp in later years I thought.

I think the lightest was the RX-7 and the heaviest was either the Supra or the 3000gt. All in the 30-40k range. Only reason they all went away was the prices kept on getting higher and higher and Americans were shifting to SUV's etc. I mean my Z was about 33k MSRP in 1990 which is pretty high when put in todays money. Supra prices have just stayed super high as they made/sold a lot less than most of the other ones.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
new rumors...

Motor Trend reports Toyota may have plans to resurrect the Supra name, or at least a new sports coupe to fill the role of the long-dead two door. Hot on the heels of sports cars like the Lexus LFA and Scion FR-S, designers are reportedly working on dusting off the 2007 FT-HS Concept for another go at life. Paired with the company's GRMN MRS prototype chassis, the vehicle will likely deliver up to 400 horsepower from a 3.5-liter V6 engine and an electric motor.

If the notion of a hybrid Supra is enough to ruffle your feathers, you may want to stop reading right now. Unlike the previous sports coupe, the new model will make use of an all-wheel-drive system. Still reading? MT reports the machine will put power to all four wheels via a CVT pulled from the Lexus RX.

That noise? It's the sound of a lonely sad trombone echoing down the halls of the internet.

Of course, all of this seems to be little more than a few educated guesses stuck together. Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda has voiced his support for a Supra successor in the past, and if green-lit, the model could see production by 2015. Early guesses say the car would bow with a $60,000 price tag, which would make for a perfect argument against sticking a new NSX in your garage.

concept car theyre referencing:

toyota-ft-hs628opt.jpg

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
This is sounding worse and worse. Sure, go with hybrid, but don't do it AWD, and make sure that V6 is packing a serious punch. Borrow an ecoboost from Ford or something for crying out loud.

I've always thought that they need to make use of the outlandish amount of time and money they put into the LF-A and build a marketable "godzilla" fighter on that platform. They're never going to make money on the LF-A and they already have the tooling in place to produce them, so why not make use of it???

Edit: and fuck CVT. So boring. The concept of constantly being at your powerband peak is enticing, but the CVTs are NEVER programmed that way.

Edit 2: :fy: return of the 3000GT!

Edit 3: That concept is hideous. Car's don't get much more sexy than the MK4 Supra.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info