Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2013_scion_fr-s_actf34_fd_1110113_717.jpg

Like an impatient child told in February what he's getting for Christmas, our wait for the 2013 Scion FR-S Coupe has seemed an interminable one. First there were clues, then a Toyota concept, then a Scion concept. Then...nothing.

This time, however, we've finally driven it, or at least a prototype of the Scion FR-S. And we're glad to announce that it's very much the car we've been waiting for — figuratively, not just literally.

Clearly, this is a sports car that had its development driven by feel and intuition, not lap times and lateral grip levels. "Sports cars have gotten boring," Toyota officials told us. "They're only interested in going fast." So the FR-S aims to bring speeds down but push enjoyment up. Is that really possible?

Yeah, There's Plenty of Subaru in This Scion
By now you've heard that the 2013 Scion FR-S is built on a rear-wheel-drive platform co-developed with Subaru. It'll be called the Subaru BRZ, and the production version will debut at the Tokyo auto show in just two weeks. We still don't have all the technical details, but we can tell you that it's about as small as a sports car can get while still offering four seats.

2013_scion_fr-s_actf34_fd_11101112_717.jpg

For reference, the FT-86 II concept shown at the Geneva auto show earlier this year measured 166.7 inches long, 50 inches high and 70.7 inches wide. It also had a short wheelbase that measured a mere 101.2 inches, or 5 inches shorter than the wheelbase of the Scion tC coupe. The dimensions of this prototype are at least that tight, if not tighter.

Keeping the size down helped control the weight, too. At just 2,822 pounds, the FR-S undercuts the tC by around 300 pounds. Couple that with the 2.0-liter flat-4 engine that produces roughly 197 horsepower and the FR-S looks pretty good on paper. Figure in the six-speed manual transmission and limited-slip differential and the FR-S starts to really look good.

Feels Good, Too
First impressions are that it feels light and compact, not unlike a Mazda MX-5 or the last Toyota MR2. The driving position is low, straight and snug. The front seats are grippy, the rear seats tiny. Think of it as a poor man's Porsche 911 and it feels just fine.

You'll have a harder time channeling those thoughts when it comes to the car's powertrain. The 2013 Scion FR-S is no stoplight hero. It's not slow either, though, so ripping through the precise six-speed shifter feels satisfying. There's a broad power curve and the engine revs clear up to 7,500 rpm, but like a typical Subaru boxer engine, there's no desperate need to wind it that far.

2013_scion_fr-s_r34_fd_1110112_717.jpg

You'll be glad to know that the stability control system can be switched completely off. That means the FR-S has burnout potential even if it's a little low on displacement. We were glad to get some seat time, so we didn't bother roasting the rubber this time out.

A Scion That Slides
It's hard to accurately gauge the ride on the concrete airfield where we drove the prototype, but the FR-S feels quite deftly set up and light on its feet. It steers easily, too. At 2.5 turns lock to lock, it has a quick but not hyperactive rack, and is light to average in terms of its assist. It all adds to the impression of a car that's easy to get along with right from the start.

Hit a corner and you'll find some roll, but the rate is well contained. The 2013 Scion FR-S's weight distribution is 53/47 percent front/rear, so it'll nudge into steady-state understeer if you're on a constant throttle, where it grips moderately well and is poised.

2013_scion_fr-s_fint_fd_1110111_717.jpg

Push any harder and the FR-S starts to get really fun. Add any amount of power and it'll turn at least neutral. Trail the brakes into a bend, lift midcorner and it'll give you armfuls of oversteer. For that alone, the FR-S is better than any Scion coupe before it.

There's still a bit of tweaking to do on the damping, but it's 90 percent of the way there, at least according to our limited time behind the wheel. The gearing isn't always perfect either, at least if you want to pitch it into a long turn and hold a slide. Third gear just doesn't have the guts, so serious momentum is the only way to keep playing games with the chassis.

More Power?
Of course more power would be nice. But more power means a turbo, stronger brakes and maybe even bigger wheels and tires to go with them. All that adds weight, and that's where the downward spiral starts, right?

That's Toyota's thinking, at least for now. We can't argue with that reasoning either. More stuff equals more cost, too, and the 2013 Scion FR-S is supposed to be an affordable rear-drive sports car for the masses.

2013_scion_fr-s_eng_fd_1110111_717.jpg

As it is now, that's exactly what it is, and a good one at that. There's no doubt a hotter, 200-plus-horse FR-S will arrive eventually, but until then this first attempt feels as it should. The handling is well sorted, the engine has usable power and you can even turn off the nannies to have some real fun. This might have been worth waiting for after all.

Photo Gallery

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
You drive a grand prix.

This is a scion. I bet it's just under or over $20k too.

And? I would never buy any scion regardless of the price. I'll take a grand prix over one any day. Even loaded up the things are made of the shittiest materials I've ever seen on a car. The engines though peppy at low rpms are severely underpowered, the clutches on the manuals are glass, the interiors are cheap, boring rattle traps with uncomfortable seats, and the exterior is made of the cheapest junk on the market. I'd feel safer in a cavalier. The fact that a company like Toyota puts these things on the market amazes me. Excluding the x series they look good and have nice suspensions, but that's about all they've got going for them. Hopefully by the time this one comes out they've changed things so it can compete with the new genesis, but for now, no thanks to any scion.

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
stop.. just stop

You drive a 2004 > Grand Prix GT...

Id take a cavalier, I mean GTO, I mean ANY newer scion over that.

That's nice, I'd a cavalier, I mean GTO, I mean almost anything over a piece of shit scion. The fact that people spend real money on the things, and then actually drive them around afterward blows my mind. Slowchevy that doesn't even justify a response :rofl:.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
I think he does justify a response... :) idk if youve been under a rock or not but just about any car has a ton of shitty materials. I love grand prixs but fuck look at the newer ones that car is like 99.99% plastic...

Yeah they are, I never said grand prixs were much better, my interior is the absolute plasticiest of plastic rattle traps and the seats hurt after awhile, but I still like em better than scions.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Scion makes compact economy cars. They are cheap looking because they are inexpensive. You're not going to find soft touch, stitched leather interiors below $20k. There are better compact interiors but not by much.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Yup. I think the Tc has always been a decent looking car. I'd rather have one of those then a Camry. :dunno:

The Xb seems like quite the hit too....I see everyone from old people to young people driving them. I also see a bunch used for businesses, probably because they're pretty big inside for a small cheap car.

GTwolf

TCG Elite Member
Oct 11, 2009
Yup. I think the Tc has always been a decent looking car. I'd rather have one of those then a Camry. :dunno:

The Xb seems like quite the hit too....I see everyone from old people to young people driving them. I also see a bunch used for businesses, probably because they're pretty big inside for a small cheap car.

I've always been annoyed by the look of the xA and xB almost as much as I am by the PT Cruiser, but to each their own. They are popular. Pretty sure iirc when circuit city was around a lot of the firedog cars were xBs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info