đź“° Auto News GM announces 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 specs, pricing from $54,995

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
commence ford vs chevy!

General Motors has come clean with pricing and performance details for the most powerful Camaro ever, and as expected, it's something of a bargain. An official MSRP of $54,995 includes a $900 delivery charge, and that pile of cash buys a 6.2-liter, supercharged and intercooled LSA V8 that's good for 556 lb-ft of torque. The ZL1 will also pack standard Performance Traction Management, a suite of electronic suspension and steering enhancements including magnetic ride control, launch control, traction control, stability control and electric power steering. Chevrolet is also touting the Camaro's track-readiness, thanks to standard rear differential cooler, engine and transmission oil coolers, and brake-cooling ducts.

Chevy's official performance specs for the Camaro ZL1 favor the automatic, which can do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and cover the quarter-mile in 12.0 seconds at 119 miles per hour. The manual is a tenth of a second slower in both exercises. Know too, that Chevy's stopwatches time from a rolling start. Top speed for the manual is 180 mph and the automatic is four miles per hour faster. Both cars can pull 1.0 g on the skidpad, according to the automaker.

There are only six options on the ZL1, starting with the choice of transmission. An extra $1,185 will get you a six-speed automatic with manual shift mode. Adding bright aluminum wheels will set you back $470, as will stripes. A sunroof is priced at $900, while the carbon fiber hood insert is $600. Finally, a suede package for the steering wheel and shifter is $500. Leather interior is standard, along with heated power seats, and a nine-speaker audio system with USB port and Bluetooth.

Dealers should get their ZL1 coupes in the spring of 2012, getting a head start on the forthcoming 2013 Ford Shelby GT500.

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
http://jalopnik.com/5859549/the-2013-shelby-gt500-wants-to-make-the-camaro-zl1-its-bitch

xlarge_e8f05117526372fef40ccfcafdcec9d0.jpg

The 2013 Shelby GT500 wants to make the Camaro ZL1 its bitch

You know how the Chevy Camaro ZL1 was supposed to be sitting atop the Muscle Car War heap? Yeah, not so much anymore. Meet the 650 HP 2013 Shelby GT500 — it's gonna try to make the ZL1 its little bitch.

Yes, you're reading that correctly — the new Shelby GT500's 5.8-liter supercharged V8 engine is rated at an astonishing 650 HP and 600 lb-ft of torque. That's a whopping 100 HP and 90 torques more than the 2012 model year.

It's almost as if Ford's adding the power just so it can shove its snakeskin-boot-clad foot right up the NACA ducts of its bowtie-bedecked competitor.

That's right, in fact, I'm wondering why they're even bothering to call it a GT500 anymore. Shouldn't they be calling it the GT 650 or something more appropriate for a muscle car with a 200 MPH top speed?

Whatever.

Anyway, this might just seem like Ford's plopping a bigger engine under the hood, right? Of course not. I mean, what would make you think that?

View the gallery
Well, other than their own press release saying "It might just seem like we're putting a bigger engine into the car." But come on, that would just be ludicrous to assume it's nothing more than the life-size equivalent of an Estes model rocket or a Mustang with a Wily E. Coyote-style rocket strapped to it.

Because Ford's added all sorts of other stuff to help manage all that power and torque — you know, like 19-inch front and 20-inch rear wheels coupled with Goodyear Eagle® F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires on all vehicle configurations and a Torsen limited-slip differential.

Well, Ford'll add that Torsen limited-slip diff if you order the optional Performance Package.

The 2013 Shelby GT500 wants to make the Camaro ZL1 its bitchOh, you didn't order the optional Performance Package? Then yeah, it's pretty much just a giant honkin' engine strapped onto a 3,850 lb. muscle car. But don't worry — it'll go purdy damn fast in a straight line.

Also, did we mention Ford's press photos have a blonde behind the wheel. Because, you know, this is America...truck (axle), yeah!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
how not? it's a domino effect... 03/04 values can't hold up against newer gt500s... newer gt500s cant hold up against even newer gt500s... those are probably even getting effected by the new 5.0 stangs... like i ahve said before... im betting 03/04 cobras in the near future will be readily available for mid to high teens .. with an occasional low teens price here or there...

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
how not? it's a domino effect... 03/04 values can't hold up against newer gt500s... newer gt500s cant hold up against even newer gt500s... those are probably even getting effected by the new 5.0 stangs... like i ahve said before... im betting 03/04 cobras in the near future will be readily available for mid to high teens .. with an occasional low teens price here or there...

I think the cobras are looked at differently than other mustangs. Being made for only two years make them "special". Do I think prices are gonna drop on them? Hell ya. I got mine in the teens. Just saying that a new gt500 isn't going to effect them that much.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I think the cobras are looked at differently than other mustangs. Being made for only two years make them "special". Do I think prices are gonna drop on them? Hell ya. I got mine in the teens. Just saying that a new gt500 isn't going to effect them that much.

Termi Cobra's hold their value very well. There is a large following....It's simple supply and demand here. Your car's value is pretty damn safe.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
GM built a car to beat the GT500 that was currently on the market, did they think Ford wouldn't change the GT500? Cars are getting better every year.

Agree, the other thing is that due to GM's fbody hiatus Ford has this upper hand in being able to trump GM's next moves due to it's positioning. 5.0 came out and gives the Camaro stiff competition and GM can't financially justify retooling the current gen too much as they probably are still trying to recoup the R&D costs. Same for the ZL1. They designed it to beat the gt500, but Ford aren't dummies. They will wait for GM's move then trump them again with this car. I won't doubt that Ford is thinking about doing a Ford GT, but maybe they want to see what the next gen Vette shapes up to be so they can trump that too.

I've always been a GM fan, but that hiatus from the 4th gen puts Ford into a very good position.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Agree, the other thing is that due to GM's fbody hiatus Ford has this upper hand in being able to trump GM's next moves due to it's positioning. 5.0 came out and gives the Camaro stiff competition and GM can't financially justify retooling the current gen too much as they probably are still trying to recoup the R&D costs. Same for the ZL1. They designed it to beat the gt500, but Ford aren't dummies. They will wait for GM's move then trump them again with this car. I won't doubt that Ford is thinking about doing a Ford GT, but maybe they want to see what the next gen Vette shapes up to be so they can trump that too.

I've always been a GM fan, but that hiatus from the 4th gen puts Ford into a very good position.

:werd: for realz

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info