Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
web630-03-bmw-m3-crt.jpg

The BMW M3 has grown cylinders over the years like a pubescent pre-teen grows in height. What started out with an inline-four then grew into a straight-six for two generations before packing a V8 into the current model. The next one is expected to set to drop a couple of combustion chambers and go back to a single bank, but don't think for one minute that'll mean a drop in performance.

According to the rumormongers at AutoExpress, the next-generation M3, due sometime around 2014 after the new 3 Series comes along, will pack – wait for it – a triple-turbo straight-six. The innovative arrangement will reportedly include two conventional spools powered off exhaust gases and a third electric turbocharger. Total output could be around 450 horsepower – a bump over the current V8 model's 414 hp – with even more carbon fiber bits than the CRT edition pictured above to help keep weight down.

Not exciting enough? BMW's M division has plenty more in the cards, potentially including an oft-rumored new M1 supercar and, once the 1 Series M Coupe is done its production run, a lightweight CSL version. An M version of the Z4 is also under consideration, but of course nothing final until the cars make their debuts.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/07/next-bmw-m3-to-get-triple-turbo-six/

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
TRIPLE? Damn.

Electric turbo would be simple. You just need a motor that can push X amount of RPM at Y force and boom, you gotta turbo. No diff than the folks that have strapped leaf blowers on cars to see what gains they get. :picard:

Would be interesting to see how the control mechanisms change... and how current turbos create more power based on engine load... that would obviously go away as well... interesting.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I can't remember if the M3 already has regenerative braking, but BMW uses it on some non-hybrids. An electric turbo doesn't sound too far fetched with that system to charge the battery. I wouldn't be surprised if it were button controlled or an over-boost mode.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
This is just europe's thing now. All the cars are switching back to smaller turbo engines to be "green" and get good "mpgs". F1 is actually going to turbo V6s in 2014. For no real reason other than to save gas. I suppose trying to squeeze power into a limited amount of space is a better way to advance the auto industry rather than just adding more of the same thing.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I think what you have mixed up there is "MPG" instead of the incorrectly used "MPGS". Since you're not getting miles per gallons' or for the illiterate, miles per gallonses, you're actually getting miles/per/gallon. :wavey: The "M" for miles, in that lovely acronym is followed by the "s" automatically, because the saying mile/per/gallon hasn't been used since the ever so popular "it's a street car" was used correctly :mamoru:

Also, something else you're forgetting if you haven't really noticed... putting in bigger non-efficient engines is the American way, not the foreign way :rofl:

I'm done i swear, i'm done.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I think what you have mixed up there is "MPG" instead of the incorrectly used "MPGS". Since you're not getting miles per gallons' or for the illiterate, miles per gallonses, you're actually getting miles/per/gallon. :wavey: The "M" for miles, in that lovely acronym is followed by the "s" automatically, because the saying mile/per/gallon hasn't been used since the ever so popular "it's a street car" was used correctly :mamoru:

Also, something else you're forgetting if you haven't really noticed... putting in bigger non-efficient engines is the American way, not the foreign way :rofl:

I'm done i swear, i'm done.

really?

I don't see why they don't copy American cars and just throw a 500ci motor in it, toss in some early 1900's technology with some pushrods and call it a day? :mamoru:
AMEN!
Because BMW builds slow cars.
:fy: Overpriced is probably the word your looking for. Outside of exotics and Porch-ahs,the highest profit margin in the industry baby!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info