đź“° Auto News Current generation BMW M3 to be the last naturally aspirated M car

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
breaking news to no one but hey, its a slow day.

The writing's been on the wall for some time, but the fate of BMW's naturally aspirated M cars is all but sealed: forced induction is the future and the next M3 will come equipped with a turbocharged engine.

With next year's new emissions standards looming on the horizon, every automaker is looking to improve its fleet-wide fuel economy and that means performance vehicles will be some of the first to undergo an EPA-mandated makeover.

For BMW, that means turbocharging and start-stop systems, two technologies that will boost the fuel economy of the all-new M5 by up to 25 percent when it goes on sale next spring.

Looking over BMW's current crop of M products, one vehicle stands alone in the induction department, and a source within BMW has told us that the E90/E92 M3's V8 will be the last naturally aspirated engine fitted to an M vehicle. While nearly every automaker has made tremendous strides to nearly eliminate turbo lag, the linear, low-end grunt of a turbo can't compare to the high-revving thrills of an NA powerplant. But the future is here and the future is forced induction.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm a fan of this. The turbo V-8 in the X5/X6 M and less-powerful 550 are :wackit:

But the turbos and equipment will add weight, and do it over the nose. I'm sure BMW isn't just jumping into this and have it all planned out. Will likely make more power and even out distribution as well.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well I have to agree with TURK on this one. When I originally heard the new M was coming out with a v8 I started swinging hard from those cars. I thought it would be the end all m3. If they are gonna change, turbo v8=win....turbo v6 not so much IMO. I am sure the turbo 6 will still be nuts, but it seems like a step backwards to me. And the v8 sounds like sex

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
The M3 motors have always been the little engine that could. They were always small, but revved like crazy and produced a ton of HP per liter. Some might say, well then how could you like the v8? It's only a 4.0L, it weighs less than the previous 6 cylinder motor and revs freely to 8400rpm. It feels like a race engine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info