đź“° Auto News Ford Racing Supercharger for 5.0: 624 HP

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm guessing that's power at the engine, and not chassis dyno numbers.

Autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/23/ford-racing-now-selling-supercharger-that-boosts-new-5-0-liter-v/

Things just got a lot more interesting for owners of the 2011 Ford Mustang. This weekend at the Woodward Dream Cruise, Ford Racing released its new supercharger package for the new 5.0-liter V8, turning the already potent pony car into a serious drag-strip contender.

The supercharger system is available in three packages, each utilizing a 2.3-liter Whipple twin-screw supercharger, air-to-liquid intercooler and 47 lb/hr fuel injectors. The base package provides 525 horsepower and 470 pound-feet torque and comes with a 12-month/12,000-mile warranty when installed by a Ford or Lincoln dealer, while the second kit offers 624 hp and 536 lb-ft torque... but no warranty. Finally, those that want to build their own custom system can opt for the tuner kit, which comes with only the core components but needs to be independently calibrated to work with the engine's computer. Hit the jump to see full details on both packages, and if you're the owners of a 2011 Mustang, you've got some decisions to make.

01frpp2011mustangsc.jpg

Ford Press Release said:
DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 20 /PRNewswire/ -- Ford Racing has announced today the availability of a new, 2.3L twin-screw supercharger for the 2011 Mustang. When mated to the all-new 5.0L 4V TiVCT V8 engine, this 50-state-legal powertrain, can produce 624 hp SAE @ 6900 rpm and 536 lb-ft SAE @ 4700 rpm. This is the first Twin-screw unit available to consumers.

The new supercharger is Ford Racing's first power upgrade component for the new 5.0 engine. It was developed by Ford Racing engineers, in close collaboration with Ford Motor Company's powertrain engineers, Team Mustang, and key partners in Roush and Whipple. The supercharger is being seen for the first time Saturday at the annual Woodward Dream Cruise in Ford's Mustang Alley display.

"Superchargers are the ultimate in power upgrades for Mustang enthusiasts," says George Goddu, Ford Racing Performance Group Manager. "Calibration for a modern V8 engine, especially one with twin-independent variable cam timing, is incredibly complex. Production calibration for the 5.0 engine took 19 months. Having that knowledge base to work from is a huge advantage.

"In fact we had the whole engineering background of the engine right from initial concept," Goddu added. "With that knowledge base, and extensive collaboration across the team, we are able to offer a top-notch supercharger, induction kit and the optimum calibration. This results in great power, drivability and durability."

"After more than 100 hours of accelerated durability testing, the entire Ford Racing package performed flawlessly," reports Dev Saberwal, Ford Racing's lead calibration engineer. "Ford Racing performance parts are subjected to extensive testing to ensure optimum performance across a broad range of conditions."

This supercharger comes as a complete package, and it's available in three levels: a 525 hp kit with a 12/12 warranty; a 624 hp kit and a tuner kit for racing and extreme enthusiasts. Each of these impressive kits gives 2011 Mustang owners the opportunity to boost the performance of their cars to new levels.

Ford Racing Performance Parts offers a large selection of performance products from complete race cars to injectors. For Mustang enthusiasts Ford Racing's catalog of performance upgrades offers a range of enhancements for the 2011 Mustang as well as a wide range of power, chassis-system and appearance upgrades for 2010, 2005-2009 and earlier Mustangs.

The Ford Racing Supercharger 525hp Kit (M-6066-MGT525D) includes:

* 2.3L twin-screw supercharger assembly
* Intake manifold
* Complete air-to-liquid intercooler system
* Drive belt
* 47 lb./hr., high-impedance fuel injectors (M-9593-LU47)
* Ford Racing ProCal tool with performance calibration
* 12 month /12,000 mile warranty (when installed by a Ford or Lincoln dealer)
* Produces 525 SAE hp @ 6400 rpm and 470 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm, at approximately 7 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel
* MSRP $7,199.00 (black) and $7,799.00 (polished chrome)

The Ford Racing Supercharger 624hp Kit (M-6066-MGT624D) includes:

* Intake manifold
* Drive belt
* Produces 624 SAE hp @ 6900 rpm and 536 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm, at approximately 9 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel
* MSRP $7,499.00 (black) and $8,099.00 (polished chrome)

The Ford Racing Supercharger Tuner Kit (M-6066-MGT23TD) includes:

* Intake manifold
* Drive belt
* MSRP $6,499.00 (black) and $7,099.00 (polished chrome)

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yeah, I heard those numbers were at the crank. Still pretty impressive though.

That would be correct. But think about it. The motor makes 412 crank hp with one atmosphere (14.7 psi for the air pressure we breath). So some rough math.......to make 624 crank hp that is about half the horse power the motor makes n/a more 412hp x 1.5 (pressure ratio)= 618 hp. So it would theoretically take about .5 more atmosphere in the motor (412hp x 1.5 atmosphere = 618hp). 14.7 for the air we breath times 1.5 = a pressure of 22.05 minus the 14.7 for the natural atmosphere is 7.35# of boost pressure in the intake manifold. So I bet it makes about 8# of boost for that set up. That is not a lot of boost for that kind of power. Wait till some people throw more boost at it!

A 2.3L whipple is plenty for most street cars. I know guys with 03/04 Cobras with 2.4L set ups making great power. You want gobbs of power then yes a 2.8 or 3.4 is a better option. lol

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
^^^if you read above it says approximately 9psi.

The Ford Racing Supercharger 525hp Kit (M-6066-MGT525D) includes:

* Intake manifold
* Drive belt
* 12 month /12,000 mile warranty (when installed by a Ford or Lincoln dealer)
* Produces 525 SAE hp @ 6400 rpm and 470 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4200 rpm, at approximately 7 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel
* MSRP $7,199.00 (black) and $7,799.00 (polished chrome)

The Ford Racing Supercharger 624hp Kit (M-6066-MGT624D) includes:

* Intake manifold
* Drive belt
* Produces 624 SAE hp @ 6900 rpm and 536 SAE lb.-ft. @ 4700 rpm, at approximately 9 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I guess I don't see why it can't make that power at the wheels. They're supposed to make damn near 400whp N/A, and then throw 9psi at it. I gained about 200whp with 9psi, so I wouldn't think that the 5.0 couldn't be close to 600whp with 9psi.
Under rating?

I'd think with them getting rid of the warranty for the bigger hp kit that you'd be getting close to using up that safety factor they've got dialed in for the first kit. I bet it's pretty mazes out at 11-12psi.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Under rating?

I'd think with them getting rid of the warranty for the bigger hp kit that you'd be getting close to using up that safety factor they've got dialed in for the first kit. I bet it's pretty mazes out at 11-12psi.

You can bet Ford's canned tune is going to be safe. To be safe against 91 octane gas users in Cali, a bad batch of gas or what ever may cause issues with an aggressive tune.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
You can bet Ford's canned tune is going to be safe. To be safe against 91 octane gas users in Cali, a bad batch of gas or what ever may cause issues with an aggressive tune.

Very Very safe. There is a great article on the new FRPP Whipple kit for the 2010 Mustang GT500 in September's MM&FF. The Ford calibration runs lean (12.5 IIRC) and they stated that they could have picked up more hp by actually richening the mixture a bit. Ford's canned tunes need to meet durability, emissions and fuel standards from what the article stated.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Oh I would assume VERY safe but I was more talking about internal reliability. The first package coming with a warranty makes me believe they've got quite a big safety factor built into that setup. With the second package I would assume you're getting much closer to that safety factor number due to the warranty being omitted but clearly they wouldn't sell a setup that wasn't still "safe". I'd still question how much more could really be made safely and reliably.

I'm sure ford blew up a few engines just to see how far they could take it :rofl:

LiveFast

Mar 30, 2010
$600 For chrome! LMAO

The best thing about this is 500hp or around that for about $35,000! Thats a dam good deal.

You can get a GT for 28, at base and 30 with the shit we all want.

they want 7k for the kit, but im betting if and when the 1st year frenzy boils down you can hastel a dealer to put it on and discount you to 36k out the door. Thats still a dam good deal. WITH A WARRANTY. I would beat the shit outta that car for that entire year. lol

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
$600 For chrome! LMAO

The best thing about this is 500hp or around that for about $35,000! Thats a dam good deal.

You can get a GT for 28, at base and 30 with the shit we all want.

they want 7k for the kit, but im betting if and when the 1st year frenzy boils down you can hastel a dealer to put it on and discount you to 36k out the door. Thats still a dam good deal. WITH A WARRANTY. I would beat the shit outta that car for that entire year. lol

untitled3.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info