Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
It's been 21 years since a turbocharger found its way onto a Formula One racer. In 1989, the FIA banned forced-induction due to the ridiculous power and speed they were generating. For better or worse, things haven't been the same since, but if a report from Pitpass is to be believed, we may see the reign of the turbo return once again.

The site is claiming that the FIA is seriously considering bringing a new turbocharged 1.5-liter engine to F1, but don't expect to see early '80s power from these machines. The four-cylinder engine is being considered for one reason alone – to reduce fuel consumption and emissions.

So we won't see over 1,000 horsepower from the 2011 grid, but to make up for the dip in grunt, Pitpass says the FIA is also considering allowing KERS to return. While we're sure the sanctioning body is keen to get the eco-minded off its back, odds are the FIA wouldn't mind spicing up the racing a bit, either. While we were promised heart-stopping action from the 2010 season, so far the racing has been much of the same. Here's hoping...

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/15/report-formula-one-considering-1-5-liter-turbo-engines/

andcbii

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2008
The four-cylinder engine is being considered for one reason alone – to reduce fuel consumption and emissions.
:picard:

That's the stupidest thing i've ever heard. these aren't fucking hybrids. They aren't supposed to be fuel efficient they are supposed to be FAST. I don't watch a lot of Formula One but from what i've been told the FIA is killing the sport.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
i guess lotus has been fucking up aesthetically with all their 4cyl cars from the past 20 years.

What are you talking about the Elan was awesome...

lotuselan100x.jpg

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Lotus went from a 4 cylinder in the Esprit to a V8 at the end because they knew if it was going to compete it'd need a supercar-like power plant. Revving high and having turbo woosh is fine but theres something missing from it that the 8, 10, and 12 cylinder cars have. its like, one singer is good, but a harmony is better. Nobody would buy a ferrari with a V6 in it. The only time they ever did a v6 was to make an "affordable" ferrari with the Dino.

Anyway Im sure F1 fans will watch it anyway because its a sport and not a show and if you love competition, then sportsmanship is all that matters. But I don't watch it too much and I think it kind of sucks that they might replace the V8s

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I'd hardly consider a lotus an exotic considering you can buy their cars for 50k.

It's exotic in that it is foreign, built in very low numbers and is built to be a sports car.

Lotus went from a 4 cylinder in the Esprit to a V8 at the end because they knew if it was going to compete it'd need a supercar-like power plant. Revving high and having turbo woosh is fine but theres something missing from it that the 8, 10, and 12 cylinder cars have. its like, one singer is good, but a harmony is better. Nobody would buy a ferrari with a V6 in it. The only time they ever did a v6 was to make an "affordable" ferrari with the Dino.

Anyway Im sure F1 fans will watch it anyway because its a sport and not a show and if you love competition, then sportsmanship is all that matters. But I don't watch it too much and I think it kind of sucks that they might replace the V8s

People bought 6 cylinder ferraris back in the 50s & 60s for racing. The dino was never officially a ferrari. I won't argue with you on sound, but 4cyl exotics shouldn't be discounted.

If F1 pushes the boundaries with a small 4 I'm all for it. I want to see 800+hp from these things.

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
I think the average person didn't really notice the difference between the V10s and the V8s. The trained ear could hear a slight difference. The Turbo V6s were sweet sounding though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8uD0m-3oeg

:rofl: the traction control on schumis car was almost louder than the car itself. also that video has awesome quality on kimis car and so so quality on schumis. ive heard both in person before, theres a difference for sure, but as you said, most normal people wont hear much difference

oh and fuck any turbo engine, stick with the v8s.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info