đź“° Auto News Report: GM scouring the globe for next Corvette design, first time looking beyond U.S

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The Chevrolet Corvette is a uniquely American invention. It's the quintessential sportscar from the land that brought us baseball and apple pie. Interesting, then, that General Motors would choose to seek out design studies from its various styling studios from all around the globe, particularly those in Europe.

According to AutoWeek, though, that's just what GM's vice president of global design, Ed Welburn, did late last year when the time came for The General to start drafting proposals for the next-gen Corvette. Why would GM consider looking at European design flavors for its oh-so-American, V8-powered, rear-wheel drive sportscar? Demographics. According to Welburn, "We have challenges in the States with the Corvette. The average age of the customer is really rising."

That average age, for those keeping track, is 54 years-old (so says the Power Information Network). And it seems that the import-favoring younger generation in America isn't all that interested in the current 'Vette, a fact that has undoubtedly played a part in the Corvette's 48-percent sales decline in 2009 over the previous year.

One thing's for certain – its certainly not the Vette's all-conquering performance that's holding it back. Perception seems to be a bigger problem. "We have to develop a design that feels trimmer, meaner, to go along with the incredible performance that the car has," said Welburn, referring to the notion that many believe the current Corvette looks too big despite being roughly the same size as the benchmark Porsche 911. We might also suggest that GM needs to gag the beancounters who will undoubtedly threaten to nickel-and-dime the quality out of the next Vette's interior.

Whatever the case, Welburn knows the car can't stray too far from its heritage. "It can't mutate into something that gets so far away from Corvette that it is no longer a Corvette," he said. It seems the future may hold very interesting things for the iconic Corvette within the next two or three years. We anxiously look forward to seeing what Chevrolet manages to cook up.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/08/report-gm-scouring-the-globe-for-next-corvette-first-time-look/

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
im pretty content w/ the route gm has taken the vette thus far

1124386515medium.jpg

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Bring back the split window rear and incorporate some Sting-Ray design cues in a modern design. There you go GM!

Oh and how about some good seats and better quality interior materials. GM really doesn't have to do much to the Vette. It's a great vehicle that beats the best in the world.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I really hope they don't throw in any 60's cues in there actually. That certainly won't get younger buyers to the market. I'd say it needs to be more technologically advanced by losing the leaf springs and the pushrod and adding a dual clutch auto trans and shit like that, but then it wouldn't be cheap or reliable anymore, but it seems like thats what the younger buyers want.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I really hope they don't throw in any 60's cues in there actually. That certainly won't get younger buyers to the market. I'd say it needs to be more technologically advanced by losing the leaf springs and the pushrod and adding a dual clutch auto trans and shit like that, but then it wouldn't be cheap or reliable anymore, but it seems like thats what the younger buyers want.

Retro sells. Look at the Mustang and Camaro.

I'd love the Vette to move to coil-overs and have a DSG setup in place of a traditionally auto.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Says the guy who drives an ugly Suburu wagon. Anyone that says that 60's Corvettes are "gross" isn't a car enthusiast. 1960's Sting-Ray Vettes are the most valuable Vettes for a reason.
sorry the most retro version of my car is from 01 :rofl:

retro is waaaaaay overdone are you kidding me? its time to stop now while were still slightly ahead. i think the vette would be ruined. keep evolving with the current look and itll be a winner.

Classic and sexy
57corvette2.jpg

vemp_0706_01z+1959_corvette_convertible+front_left_view.jpg

its alright but not quite the best vette by any means....
63_coupe1_450.jpg

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
retro is waaaaaay overdone are you kidding me? its time to stop now while were still slightly ahead. i think the vette would be ruined. keep evolving with the current look and itll be a winner.

I agree. For example, Ford went retro with the 2005 Mustang and Chrysler and GM followed suit with the Challenger and Camaro later on. Now the 2010 Mustang is modernizing that design and just keeping the styling cues... and so will the Challenger and Camaro in their next design revamp or generation.

So I dont see the Vette going retro at all. That whole fad seems to be over or at least fading away. It will most likely be more aggressive and more futuristic if anything.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'm going to have to agree with joel here, the vette needs to evolve, and not digress. That has ALWAYS been the spirit of the vette. The Camaro's and the Mustangs are a larger volume product that can more effectively use that "retro" fad. The vette is more of a niche vehicle, every generation plays to the strengths and improves. I agree that the vette needs to move into the 21st century with some tech, it also needs to improve on some of the flimsy body work, and the interior blah blah. But like everyone has said, that will drive up the price. GM needs to take a good look and see what it can stand to move forward with and stuff that can stand to be left alone. The vette is always going to have its critics, but it is also going to have a piss load of people that love it. It is the American sports car, and GM shouldn't ruin it my playing into the retro fad, leave that for the "tuners" and other companies.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
GM has to do something. Vette is a good car, but it ain't selling, while BMW sales are still good.

There's no mistaking it - Corvettes are fast as hell. Straight off the showroom floor, a new ZR1 (or Z06, for that matter) will wipe the floor with just about anything else on the road, and usually for quite a bit less coin than comparable cars. To compliment that performance, Chevy has always included a healthy dose of "Please look at me!" styling. And that's probably the most significant ingredient in the Corvette because as awesome as 'Vettes are, they will be forever associated with middle aged men with middle class bank accounts, desperately trying to buy back their youth, and some attention to boot. C'est la vie, Corvette Guy.

The key is to reverse what is in bold.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I'm pretty sure they've sold more Corvettes than M3s, I can't think of any model that BMW has that would steal vette buyers anyway.

As long as they stick to the formula, which is to make an affordable American sports car with classic V8 power, it will only sell to middle aged people. By the time a middle class person can afford one they're already in their 40's-50's. They're not going to go after a 911 or GTR those weren't around when they were kids and they're far too expensive. Also, they are fun looking cars, M's and AMGs are way too conservative, ask any non-enthusiast(people who buy vettes when they're 50) if they think a C63 AMG is a sporty car and they'll tell you its just another soft luxury benz. People don't know shit, that's why they sell so many V6 mustangs. Vettes are the next step up. Ten years later you buy a Buick, and 20 years later your driven to your grave in a Caddilac.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure they've sold more Corvettes than M3s, I can't think of any model that BMW has that would steal vette buyers anyway.

As long as they stick to the formula, which is to make an affordable American sports car with classic V8 power, it will only sell to middle aged people. By the time a middle class person can afford one they're already in their 40's-50's. They're not going to go after a 911 or GTR those weren't around when they were kids and they're far too expensive. Also, they are fun looking cars, M's and AMGs are way too conservative, ask any non-enthusiast(people who buy vettes when they're 50) if they think a C63 AMG is a sporty car and they'll tell you its just another soft luxury benz. People don't know shit, that's why they sell so many V6 mustangs. Vettes are the next step up. Ten years later you buy a Buick, and 20 years later your driven to your grave in a Caddilac.

This guy right here.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
This guy right here.

He's right, anything BMW makes and the Vette are just two different beasts. I just don't think that someone looking at a Vette is really going to look at an M3. Or someone looking at an M3 is really going to look at a Vette, usually people that are looking at these cars have really made up their mind. I mean did you debate a new Vette when you were looking at the M3?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
He's right, anything BMW makes and the Vette are just two different beasts. I just don't think that someone looking at a Vette is really going to look at an M3. Or someone looking at an M3 is really going to look at a Vette, usually people that are looking at these cars have really made up their mind. I mean did you debate a new Vette when you were looking at the M3?

Yup. I was set on getting a z06, then chevy released the ls3 vette and I thought to myself, why spend 20-25k more for the z06 which is now only marginally better than the base vette, but I didn't want a base vette.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info