đź“° Auto News 2011 F-Series Super Duty: Ford Tows Chevy To Woodshed, Smacks It Around

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
2011 F-Series Super Duty: Ford Tows Chevy To Woodshed, Smacks It Around

Despite showing us the 2011 F-Series Super Duty five months ago, there's been not a word on power. Finally, here's the scoop: Powerstroke, 390HP and 735ft-lb of torque. 6.2-liter gas engine, 385HP and 405 ft-lb of torque. Your move GM.

Ford and GM have been playing a somewhat annoying game of cat and mouse with their newly revealed heavy duty pickup trucks. Ford unveiled their new F-Series Super Duty in September while GM unveiled their new Silverado HD two weeks ago at the Chicago Auto Show. Neither have divulged any kind of power numbers in a game of one-upsmanship, using every last minute to wring more power out of their engines to try and gain a competitive advantage. Well Ford's come out with official numbers, and they're pretty darn staggering.
500x_6.7-liter_powerstroke.jpg

Without question the brand new, all-Ford designed 6.7-liter V8 Powerstroke diesel is the headliner, boasting a formidable 735 lb-ft of torque at 1,600 RPM and 390 HP at 2,800 RPM. That's a stump ripper to be sure and represents a 85 ft-lb and 40 HP improvement over the last engine. There's plenty to like about the engine beside the numbers. First, it's just plain cool, with a reverse breathing layout meaning the intake side of engine is outboard and exhaust is inboard. The valley-mounted twin compressor turbo essentially packs a twin-turbo's worth of punch into a single turbo's packaging, and because of the extremely short manifolds and thus manifold volume leading to the impeller side, turbo lag has been essentially eliminated. It's also got a compacted graphite iron block for strength, forged crank, forged rods, aluminum pistons, crossbolted four bolt mains, and some crazy plate stamped rocker arms for valvetrain durability.

To keep the enviro-nerds happy, the after-treatment system is a urea-based NOx scrubber with a diesel particulate filter to keep emissions clean, and if you're so inclined the engine's designed to run smooth on B20 biodiesel. The engine's backed by the all-new Torqueshift transmission with a live PTO off the side for implements and in total the whole packages is 180 lbs lighter, 160 lbs from the engine, 20 lbs from the transmission. It's supposedly pretty quiet too, but we still go weak at the knees whenever a 7.3-liter Powerstroke's making its wonderful racket, so that's not so important to us. Oh, by the way, the new engine is the same option price as the outgoing one at $7,835.
500x_6.2-liter.jpg

The 6.2-liter gas motor is new as well, though detuned a bit from its first application in the F-150 Raptor. Here it produces 385 HP at 5,500 RPM and 405 ft-lb of torque at 4,500 RPM. That's an 85 HP and 40 ft-lb improvement over the outgoing 5.4-liter. In case you forgot, the biggest comparative truck these engines go into — the F-350 — is capable of up to 21,600 lbs of gooseneck towing and 6,250 lbs of payload. If you're taking notes that means Ford's besting GM's claimed towing capacity by 1,600 lbs and is at a payload disadvantage of a scant 50 lbs when compared to the Silverado 3500 HD. GM's still playing coy on its power numbers, but until they spill the beans Ford's solidly established as the heavy duty king of the hill.

Send an email to Ben, the author of this post, at [email protected].
http://jalopnik.com/5479718/2011-f+series-super-duty-ford-tows-chevy-to-woodshed-smacks-it-around

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Wow that diesel engine sounds amazing! 700+ torques at 1600rpms.....holy fuck. Wait till the aftermarket catches up with it. Dare I say near 1000ft-lbs with some simple bolt ons?

for sure. i really truly hope its a good engine for ford.

they got fucked with the 6.0s reputation- and then with the 6.4s shortcomings- but from everything i have read- this 6.7 is supposed to pickup where the 7.3 let off. in kicking ass.

:nutz:

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Seems to be what all the sheep on this site believe. So why even get a performance car? You get the same performance out of this truck, plus towing capabilities. This thing probably smokes z06s all day long! TORQUE FTW BITCHES!!!

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I told you guys Ford ain't fucking around anymore. Alan Mulally has shaken up the whole company. Now if he will green light a Ford GT successor, I will be very happy. The fanboy in me wants to see Ford's engineers kick the ZR1's ass.

No need for a Ford GT. This Truck makes over 700ft/lbs of torque. This thing will compete with the zr1 in a straight line no doubt.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
It probably weighs 3 tons. I'm sure with modding it could be decently quick but it's clearly for towing and carrying heavy things. Isn't that by definition what torque is for?

Yeah, but for some reason people on here think torque is for racing, and HP is for advertisement purposes. I'm just trying to make a point. I doubt it weighs 3 tons, it probably has similar torque/weight ratio as an LS3 vette, yet I think we all know which vehicle would win in a race.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, but for some reason people on here think torque is for racing, and HP is for advertisement purposes. I'm just trying to make a point. I doubt it weighs 3 tons, it probably has similar torque/weight ratio as an LS3 vette, yet I think we all know which vehicle would win in a race.
In reality you're just a whiny bitch who can't let things go. :dunno:

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville

The Vette weighs almost 3 times less than the Super Duty.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info