đź“° Auto News REPORT: Consumers increasingly shying away from small cars; owners unhappy

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Like we didn't see this coming... :squirts:

When gas prices spiked above $4 per gallon in the summer of 2008, car buyers appeared to find their small car zen. Toyota Corollas, Honda Fits and Civics, Chevrolet Cobalts and Ford Focuses were flying off dealer shelves at a fevered pace, while truck buying dropped through the floor. Fast-forward to present day and car buyers are once again picking bigger vehicles while many of last year's "smart" small car buyers may be experiencing a bit of buyer's remorse.

A closer look at the current sales charts shows that Americans may not be too keen on small cars after all, as News Chief is reporting that America's compact car market has dropped 15% year over year. Even used small cars are taking a beating, as Kelley Blue Book reportedly told NC that small car residuals have dropped like a stone while larger vehicles are becoming increasingly valuable. In August 2008, truck prices dropped by 17% versus the same point in 2007, but from 2008 to 2009 overall truck sales jumped by 23%.

Perhaps the biggest issue here is that many of the customers who went small in 2008 are now unhappy with their more economical vehicles. George Peterson, president of AutoPacific told NC that a recent survey of 32,000 car buyers showed that customers aren't thrilled with their new small car, quoting customers as saying "'It does what I want, but it doesn't have what I want. It doesn't have the features, the power, the room, and next time I'll opt for a bigger car.'"

The survey showed that 30% of small vehicle buyers would like more power with their next new car or truck, 25% want more cargo room, and 25% want more technology. 18% of those surveyed would like more safety and 22% would like a softer ride. Only half of the subcompact buyers would opt for a compact vehicle with their next purchase, while 35% want a midsized sedan and 18% want a crossover or SUV.

While the Auto Pacific survey results shows that many car buyers are looking away from compacts with their next purchase, automakers are ramping up small car production. New products like the Ford Fiesta and the Chevrolet Cruze are coming Stateside over the next year or two, and if the apparent trend away from small cars continues, automakers will be fighting over a familiarly small group of perspective buyers. Unless, of course, gas prices once again spike into the stratosphere, in which case we're likely to repeat this process again.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/06/report-consumers-increasingly-shying-away-from-small-cars-owne/

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
The high gas prices last year were kinda one of the reasons I got my cobalt instead of an E46 M3. Probably get bashed for it, but 16, 18 MPG compared to 22, 30 and kinda similar track performance =lose in my books. Granted there's a lot nicer interior and other parts in favor of the M3.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
If both cars cost the same, and the only difference was MPG, then I'd get the e46 M3, but I'm guessing the Cobalt was also a cheaper buy.

M3 was only like $2-3k more if I remember correctly. In the end I just thought the cost to own was too much more me at the time. Regret it a little, but my cobalt doesn't disappoint. Probably get a weekend car in a year or two anyway since it's almost paid off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info