Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Done by Road & Track:

Road and Track recently put the 2015 Subaru WRX and the 2015 WRX STI through a battery of dyno tests to find out not only how much difference there is between their two engines, but what kind of differences there are. The WRX gets the company's new FA20 2.0-liter boxer four-cylinder engine with features like a twin-scroll turbocharger, direct injection and variable valve timing on its two cams. The WRX STI stands pat with the older EJ-Series motor, meaning a 2.5-liter boxer four-cylinder with port fuel injection and carryover turbo lag. Subaru pegs the $26,295 WRX at 268 horsepower, 258 pound-feet of torque and an "extremely conservative" 0-60 mile per hour time of 5.4 seconds. The $34,495 STI clocks in at 305 hp and 290 lb-ft with a 0-60 mph time of 5.1 seconds. Ok, fight.

R&T's dyno runs sussed power numbers at the wheel of 223 hp and 245 lb-ft for the WRX, 247 hp and 243 lb-ft for the STI, then went on to demonstrate in numbers what everyone knew: that the WRX consistently puts out more of its torque earlier than the STI and achieves full boost almost three seconds quicker. On the other hand, on the track, the STI was also shown to have a conservative official 0-60 mph time, stopping the timer at 4.8 seconds compared to the WRX's 5.2 seconds.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Why have STi's been hovering around the 300hp mark for over 10 years? :rofl:

Because they blow up over that.

A 2003 WRX STI does 0-60 in 4.7 lol Ill just take the older models this can sit on the dealer lot

That's not a thing here in the USA you dolt. 04 was the first year and they're about 4.9-5.0 depending on the magazine testing it.

And subarus never put out high numbers but they seem to weirdly go decently for the power. My car ran 14.5@93 stock and they dyno 170whp roughly stock. My gtp stock was about the same and had more PAH

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
And subarus never put out high numbers but they seem to weirdly go decently for the power. My car ran 14.5@93 stock and they dyno 170whp roughly stock. My gtp stock was about the same and had more PAH

All in the short-assed Gearing, at least with the earlier STi's.

Always hated that with my buddy's, damn thing was as likely to give you whiplash as a fucking Slayer show.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
All in the short-assed Gearing, at least with the earlier STi's.

Always hated that with my buddy's, damn thing was as likely to give you whiplash as a fucking Slayer show.

I remember that from driving a friends modded STI. It uses up gears fast and I rowed through 4 gears and was barely moving.

Also, 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds is stock 1999 Mustang GT territory and that's only RWD.

Pass.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info