Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
When the BMW M3 and M4 debuted on Monday at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show, it was to much fanfare and excitement. At that time, though, we were missing a big piece of the M3/M4 puzzle - the price.

According to a report from our roundel-obsessed friends at Bimmerfest, the four-door M3 will star at $62,000, while the M4 Coupe is priced at $64,200. Those prices do not include a $925 destination charge. That's a pretty significant jump over the $56,275 starting price of the old M3 Sedan and $59,275 starting price of the last M3 Coupe, although we'd argue that these cars should easily outpace their V8 counterparts in terms of overall performance. In other news, a six-speed manual will come standard, while the seven-speed M DCT will be an optional extra.

Bimmerfest also came up with a timeline for the M3 and M4's arrival. We should expect the official announcement of pricing, along with the full order guides, released near the end of this month or in early February. Production will kick off in March, while customers will be able to begin placing orders in late April. We'll get our first crack at both cars in June, with deliveries beginning later that month.

As for the validity of this info, we're told that the source Bimmerfest spoke to is very well informed and that there's every reason to believe this info. So, while this isn't fact until it comes from the mouth of BMW, we aren't prescribing any salt with this particular story.

01-2015-bmw-m4-coupe-detroit-1.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
RWD.

I remember reading something about AWD talk for the new M cars so I looked and came across this quote:

For the M purists out there, Nitschke reportedly assures you that the M3 and M4 will "never" come with AWD, because, he says, "To accelerate out of corners with this rear-end architecture concept is so fantastic that it [all-wheel drive] is not needed." Instead of taking his word on that, we'll just wait another four to six months and see if the story has changed.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
booo.

for a driver, I think I'd like AWD. and I'd drive this.

I agree with your line of thinking. Offering an AWD option would be a good idea for those that intend to DD this. I recently pretty much decided that as long as I live in IL any and all fun/fast cars I buy in the future will be AWD so that I can actually use them in the winter if need be. If BMW doesn't decide to offer anything AWD then that essentially only leaves Audi that would fit my future requirements.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I agree with your line of thinking. Offering an AWD option would be a good idea for those that intend to DD this. I recently pretty much decided that as long as I live in IL any and all fun/fast cars I buy in the future will be AWD so that I can actually use them in the winter if need be. If BMW doesn't decide to offer anything AWD then that essentially only leaves Audi that would fit my future requirements.

Drive the two and see if you say the same thing. The rear wheel drive models drive substantially different than the all wheel drive models. The RWD are much more fun and so neutral that you don't really see many of the downfalls of a rear wheel drive car. If you drove a 535 sport and then a 535 xdrive and you pushed them hard you'd want the sport, hands down.

As far as Audi's go, they're generally nose heavy so they have a tendency to plow when pushed hard plus they all tend to lean towards a more luxurious ride versus a BMW.

Lastly, a rear wheel drive car with sport tires is perfectly competent. I drove my 535 through the winter last year on Continental Conti-Extreme summer tires and the only time I couldn't drive the car was when there was actually snow on the road. Toss a set of winter tires on there though and the car would have been perfectly competent.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Drive the two and see if you say the same thing. The rear wheel drive models drive substantially different than the all wheel drive models. The RWD are much more fun and so neutral that you don't really see many of the downfalls of a rear wheel drive car. If you drove a 535 sport and then a 535 xdrive and you pushed them hard you'd want the sport, hands down.

As far as Audi's go, they're generally nose heavy so they have a tendency to plow when pushed hard plus they all tend to lean towards a more luxurious ride versus a BMW.

Lastly, a rear wheel drive car with sport tires is perfectly competent. I drove my 535 through the winter last year on Continental Conti-Extreme summer tires and the only time I couldn't drive the car was when there was actually snow on the road. Toss a set of winter tires on there though and the car would have been perfectly competent.

It really comes down to preference. If I lived in a climate that had zero snow and zero icy roads then a RWD car it would be. However, I don't; and I also drive to northern WI often as well. For my situation and preference an AWD car fits much better if I want to have the option of using it year round. While I sacrifice a little in the handling dept, I make up for that loss when I am able to actually just use the vehicle more often throughout the year.

The difference for me in an AWD sports car vs a RWD one is this. First, with an AWD sports car I can utilize fairly normal all season tires when making up to a decent amount of horsepower without being concerned with losing traction in the summertime while having fun. The need for DR's would not occur as soon as would a similarly powered RWD car. One set of tires will get me through it all, essentially. For a RWD car I would need a summer set of tires/wheels and a winter set as well; because I cannot drive proper winter tires in the summer. That is not to mention needing a rear set of DR's too if the car has any appreciable power. All of those are needed to keep the car remotely competent in both summer and winter conditions. Even after all of that, the AWD car will still handle snowy conditions hands down better than a RWD car with similar rubber; and spread all of the power to twice as many drive wheels. My Pontiac G8 is essentially useless for 4 months out of the year because of the points I made above. I already have two full sets of wheels and tires for the G8; and I am tired of storing them all and switching them out all the time. My Audi S4 doesn't have that problem, and is not just merely competent, but thrives in the snow and ice. I agree that good rubber goes a long way, but it still cannot overcome the physics involved in the difference between 2 and 4 drive wheels.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007

This. Plus, because weight.

We tested an A4 quattro and a 328i with summers on a track last year. The A4's front tires were absolutely destroyed while the BMW's showed no signs of wear. The 328 was perfectly neutral and you could see it in the tires after hours on the track.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
It really comes down to preference. If I lived in a climate that had zero snow and zero icy roads then a RWD car it would be. However, I don't; and I also drive to northern WI often as well. For my situation and preference an AWD car fits much better if I want to have the option of using it year round. While I sacrifice a little in the handling dept, I make up for that loss when I am able to actually just use the vehicle more often throughout the year.

The difference for me in an AWD sports car vs a RWD one is this. First, with an AWD sports car I can utilize fairly normal all season tires when making up to a decent amount of horsepower without being concerned with losing traction in the summertime while having fun. The need for DR's would not occur as soon as would a similarly powered RWD car. One set of tires will get me through it all, essentially. For a RWD car I would need a summer set of tires/wheels and a winter set as well; because I cannot drive proper winter tires in the summer. That is not to mention needing a rear set of DR's too if the car has any appreciable power. All of those are needed to keep the car remotely competent in both summer and winter conditions. Even after all of that, the AWD car will still handle snowy conditions hands down better than a RWD car with similar rubber; and spread all of the power to twice as many drive wheels. My Pontiac G8 is essentially useless for 4 months out of the year because of the points I made above. I already have two full sets of wheels and tires for the G8; and I am tired of storing them all and switching them out all the time. My Audi S4 doesn't have that problem, and is not just merely competent, but thrives in the snow and ice. I agree that good rubber goes a long way, but it still cannot overcome the physics involved in the difference between 2 and 4 drive wheels.

Depends what you're doing. Taking corners in AWD cars requires better tires IMO because the front end has a tendency to push out on the turn. M3s and Audis were made mostly for handling, not straightline acceleration so IMO a good rubber is even more important. I'm not too concerned how my R8 launches, more how it grabs around the corners.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
This. Plus, because weight.

We tested an A4 quattro and a 328i with summers on a track last year. The A4's front tires were absolutely destroyed while the BMW's showed no signs of wear. The 328 was perfectly neutral and you could see it in the tires after hours on the track.

You are talking about track driving. Not exactly a situation that many drivers, whether car enthusiast or not, find themselves in. While it is novel to think of a vehicle's track ability, I simply do not hold that as the paramount asset of a vehicle when considering all options in a fast daily driver. Not saying it holds no importance in the decision making process, but just not as high as other abilities; such as multi-seasonal/climate driving.

Depends what you're doing. Taking corners in AWD cars requires better tires IMO because the front end has a tendency to push out on the turn. M3s and Audis were made mostly for handling, not straightline acceleration so IMO a good rubber is even more important. I'm not too concerned how my R8 launches, more how it grabs around the corners.

Comfortably daily driving in any season with a respectably quick vehicle...is what I would be doing.

Frankly, most of us aren't putting our cars through hard corners often enough to really validate the necessity for absolute maximum cornering ability when considered in parallel with other more pressing matters. In addition to that point, it is not like there aren't AWD cars that cannot corner at all either; as I assume you are aware of considering your R8.

No one is debating that good rubber on any car and in any sort of application is a smart choice. However, I was referring to the type of tire itself (IE. All-season, summer only, DR, etc). Sure, it would be nice to have a set of tires/wheels for each type of driving situation a person finds their self in. However, I think it safe to say that virtually everyone considers it a large pain in the ass when it comes to cost, storage, and constantly swapping them out season after season.

The AWD is more versatile and more practical in this area considering the weather we get. Again, let's talk about what the cars will mostly be used for, and not throwing out examples of track day use as if that is something that people do often enough to justify having to make that the highest priority when choosing a fast daily driven vehicle. A jack of all trades, so-to-speak.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
You are talking about track driving. Not exactly a situation that many drivers, whether car enthusiast or not, find themselves in. While it is novel to think of a vehicle's track ability, I simply do not hold that as the paramount asset of a vehicle when considering all options in a fast daily driver. Not saying it holds no importance in the decision making process, but just not as high as other abilities; such as multi-seasonal/climate driving.

Comfortably daily driving in any season with a respectably quick vehicle...is what I would be doing.

Frankly, most of us aren't putting our cars through hard corners often enough to really validate the necessity for absolute maximum cornering ability when considered in parallel with other more pressing matters. In addition to that point, it is not like there aren't AWD cars that cannot corner at all either; as I assume you are aware of considering your R8.

No one is debating that good rubber on any car and in any sort of application is a smart choice. However, I was referring to the type of tire itself (IE. All-season, summer only, DR, etc). Sure, it would be nice to have a set of tires/wheels for each type of driving situation a person finds their self in. However, I think it safe to say that virtually everyone considers it a large pain in the ass when it comes to cost, storage, and constantly swapping them out season after season.

The AWD is more versatile and more practical in this area considering the weather we get. Again, let's talk about what the cars will mostly be used for, and not throwing out examples of track day use as if that is something that people do often enough to justify having to make that the highest priority when choosing a fast daily driven vehicle. A jack of all trades, so-to-speak.

What the fuck does practical mean? Obviously the choice of winter tires and associated work is a personal preference but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a rwd car that's more entertaining (also subjective) and run winter tires. I ran winter tires on a BRZ last winter and it rocked. The roads around here - at least my area - are plowed so well I never had a problem.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

i DD'd a 1997 m3 and i'm sure generations later they have figured out traction control even better. it's perfectly fine with winter tires.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake

one set of mediocre tires to handicap your sports car and make it ho-hum all year round? what's the point of buying it then?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info