Consumer Reports' ten least reliable cars

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Reports like this are why Consumer Reports kind of blows. The Fords largely get complaints because of MyFordTouch, not because they're inherently lower quality than any of the competition. There are some honest complaints such as lower than advertised MPG on one model but other than that it's pretty much always MFT people are complaining about.

People have had issues with MFT since it's inception which has driven the quality rankings of the cars that are most often equipped with it straight into the toilet.

Fords topped the list last year too for much the same reason. I'm not a Ford nut-swinger by any stretch but judging from this list you'd expect that these cars have serious mechanical or quality shortcomings when compared to their competition but they just don't.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
the Cadillac XTS is up there because EVERY single XTS that was produced before March of 2013 required 6-8 service updates for the CUE system (new operating system.. etc etc.) They rushed production 6 months early to get their model out ahead of BMW and Mercedes new models. No actual problems mechanically with the car. But that killed it for them. Made us a ton of money on warranty service tho :)

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Reports like this are why Consumer Reports kind of blows. The Fords largely get complaints because of MyFordTouch, not because they're inherently lower quality than any of the competition. There are some honest complaints such as lower than advertised MPG on one model but other than that it's pretty much always MFT people are complaining about.

People have had issues with MFT since it's inception which has driven the quality rankings of the cars that are most often equipped with it straight into the toilet.

Fords topped the list last year too for much the same reason. I'm not a Ford nut-swinger by any stretch but judging from this list you'd expect that these cars have serious mechanical or quality shortcomings when compared to their competition but they just don't.

Yeah, you would think with the fucking title having "reliable" in it, you'd think you're about to look at some Yugo-esque mechanical failures and fires. No, you get prissy bitches whining about some stupid navigation/entertainment center.

This is as fucking stupid as last years exact same list.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
Agreed, its unfair to Ford to rate them unreliable just because you cant sync your iPhone to a shitty infotainment system. I want a car that starts and wont leave me stranded, thats what reliability means to me.

Apparently nobody gives a fuck if your new car is mechanically reliable or not...they just want to be able to send a text message while driving :gives: :ford: :rollpicard:

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
These systems aren't just there for your phone and iPod. They're connected to the entire experience. Climate control, vehicle settings as well as all the multimedia/phone/music player. When something goes wrong on these systems like screen glitches or frozen menus-- all of them, not just Ford - it effects the whole user experience.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'm not a Ford nut-swinger by any stretch but judging from this list you'd expect that these cars have serious mechanical or quality shortcomings when compared to their competition but they just don't.

The new escape is the only one that I believe belongs on that list as its had multiple "Fiery death" recalls on it already, and a few other known issues (and its a totally new model). But yea, the rest I haven't heard a bad peep about.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
These systems aren't just there for your phone and iPod. They're connected to the entire experience. Climate control, vehicle settings as well as all the multimedia/phone/music player. When something goes wrong on these systems like screen glitches or frozen menus-- all of them, not just Ford - it effects the whole user experience.

My Ford Touch blows, no doubt but it hasn't been a crashy, inoperative mess for a couple years now has it?

The problems is that people walk away from this article with the idea that the Ford vehicles suck when in actuality they don't; they just have unintuitive electronics that people (rightfully) complain about.

I think most people worry about whether or not a vehicle is going to leave them stranded or break down on them when they consider reliability, not whether they're going to be frustrated by the infotainement system. That sounds much more like something you'd cover in a review. Despite being terrible, it's not unusable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info