Real Name
Mike
Caught on helmet cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_atm0dEGaSA

2015-bmw-m3-spy-shots.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I doubt they'll be going from a 4.0 V8 to a N55, but it could be some varient of a turbo inline 6 I guess. I'd more think they'd go like the M5 with a turbo V8 just not as powerful.

I doubt it. It will for sure be a forced induction inline 6 but really, why not? Much like the M5 went from a naturally aspirated V10 to a twin turbo V8 and picked up power, torque, improved fuel economy and presumably reliability, if the M3 can attain the same and get all the same benefits, where's the downside?

Having owned both types of BMWs, the high revving V10 and the lower revving inline 6, both making nearly the same power, I can say with some certainty that one is not appreciable better than the other as far as driving experience goes. The high winding V10 is amazing once it gets into the meat of the power band and the sound is absolutely incredible but the inline 6 makes torque everywhere, is faster in almost every situation other than a mid-speed rolling start and gets way better gas mileage, even when beaten on. I ravage my car on a daily basis and still squeeze at worst 12.5 mpg out of it which seems silly until you realize that in prime conditions the E60 M5 was rated for 12 mpg city. If I drive my car with any semblance of responsibility it jumps up to 30MPG highway with ease.

So I don't see a downside here personally other than loss of exhaust note.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I mean I agree I love the N54 in my 335i, at 80 mph I get 30.2 mpg... it's ridiculous and it's a 12 second car. That being said, I still am not a huge fan of the lag on it from the turbos that I can feel, and it's not as responsive as a N/A engine imo. I never got to drive the E60 M5, but i'm told after 70 mph that car was like a rocket ship, the problem was that's unsable power in most driving situations. It's an autobahn monster though.

I was just figuring they did all the R&D on the M5 with the TT V8, it would make some sense to use a varient of it in the new M3, but you're right it'll more than likely be an inline 6.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I mean I agree I love the N54 in my 335i, at 80 mph I get 30.2 mpg... it's ridiculous and it's a 12 second car. That being said, I still am not a huge fan of the lag on it from the turbos that I can feel, and it's not as responsive as a N/A engine imo. I never got to drive the E60 M5, but i'm told after 70 mph that car was like a rocket ship, the problem was that's unsable power in most driving situations. It's an autobahn monster though.

I was just figuring they did all the R&D on the M5 with the TT V8, it would make some sense to use a varient of it in the new M3, but you're right it'll more than likely be an inline 6.

The N54 really doesn't have noticeable lag from the factory. It's us tuning them that makes the lag so noticeable. Even still, the N55 apparently reduced turbo lag even more and though I haven't driven the new M5, turbo lag is apparently imperceptible there as well. I know on the 550i I drove it was not noticeable at all.

My point is that if BMW goes this route they're not going to give it the power band of a modified N54 where you hit the gas and go from nothing to tire shredding torque in a second. They're going to make the power a lot more linear and they're going to make turbo lag a non-issue.

But if GM can pull 400hp out of a turbo V6 I'm excited to see what comes out of the next M3. Anything around the 400hp mark should be quite satisfying.

CDgtp

Aug 27, 2011
Aurora, il
It's said to have over 400hp.. and the twin turbo I-6. So is it really going the have two turbos or the twin scroll turbo. I do not know.

The problem with the 4.0 v8 was that a tuned 335 was basically as quick. So im sure bmw is going to be using different parts than the regular n54/n55

It was in 2011 I believe when they started using the twin scroll turbo rather than the two turbos. Hopefully the m3 will get the twin turbo and leave everything else with the N55.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
It's said to have over 400hp.. and the twin turbo I-6. So is it really going the have two turbos or the twin scroll turbo. I do not know.

The problem with the 4.0 v8 was that a tuned 335 was basically as quick. So im sure bmw is going to be using different parts than the regular n54/n55

It was in 2011 I believe when they started using the twin scroll turbo rather than the two turbos. Hopefully the m3 will get the twin turbo and leave everything else with the N55.

I'm betting the M3 will get true twins. The single twin scroll N55 is capable of less out of the box and even after the N55 was introduced BMW continued to use the N54 in cars that needed more performance such as the 335iS and the 740i. So I bet it comes with two small snails.

I only drove a stock N54 like 3 years ago so I can't remember the lag, but it's kind of apparent in my car, but maybe that's the Dinan tune on it. Never driven a N55.
Regardless I hope it has at least 400 hp.
It's wild on my car too. It's like nothing... nothing... nothing... OMGIAMGONNADIE!

In stock form boost is so low, and the I6 capable of enough naturally aspirated low end torque, that you really don't notice it. There's a very smooth transition but when you turn up the power levels you're only turning them up during the time you're in boost so you're still dealing with stock speed/ power right off the line which translates to a car that feels like it has killer turbo lag.

Even still, I wouldn't say what we have is lag per say. It's just that the boost comes on so hard and the throttle isn't very linear. If you want lag drive a mid-90's Saab.

Reactions: EmersonHart13
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info