New Dodge Avenger?????

Dragonkat

Car Life: It's what we do...24/7
Aug 17, 2012
Kenosha
From Allpar.com:

Back in April, we reported that Ralph Gilles had essentially confirmed the SRT Barracuda’s arrival on a different platform than the Challenger, as part of shared development with an Alfa Romeo that is key to the Italian brand’s revival. Sergio Marchionne commented that a rear wheel drive, mid-sized Alfa Romeo was made possible by being able to share costs with Dodge.

Word from within the Tower of Power in Auburn Hills is that the car will not be called Barracuda, but will continue the Dodge Avenger label to take advantage of brand familiarity. While the car will be very different, it’s likely to share a V6 engine with the current Avenger. At this point, we’re not sure whether the Dodge version will have a four-cylinder or not, but an SRT version with a 6.2 liter, supercharged Hemi is quite likely. It is not certain — the company may choose to do a Ghibli, topping out at 400 horsepower through a twin-turbo six. Ghibli moves quite fast without a V8. Whether American customers would accept that is an open question, but the Challenger will remain available for those who must have their eight cylinders.

The Barracuda name was favored for quite some time, but reportedly failed the sniff test, given modern styling, the loss of Plymouth, and such; the only people who would be attracted by re-use of the name would be turned off by its application. The car is likely to have four doors, as well, adding fuel to the fire.

future-avenger.jpg

Dragonkat

Aug 17, 2012
Kenosha
The Avenger is one of those dreadful rental cars

True, but the one bright spot is the engine, that's why it's selling like hot-cakes, after we R&R'ed the engines from I4's to V6's ( company got a deal with Chrysler, don't ask me how tho ) we couldn't keep'em on the lot.

shoot with deals, U can get a new V6-LX Avenger for around 17K

Dragonkat

Aug 17, 2012
Kenosha
I appreciate your enthusiasm towards your vehicle rknight... but at the same time. holy fuck dude. who gave you some kool-aid?!

you speak of the 200/avenger to be the be all end all... like if you were offered a new cts-v but you couldn't keep your 200 you wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't go that far, in fact I almost traded-in the 200

but back to my OP, I'm very surprised that dodge would keep the avenger going

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
Edmunds does not like the current avenger. Maybe this one will turn it around.

The 17 Worst Cars You Can Buy on Edmunds.com

Worst Midsize Sedan: 2014 Dodge Avenger
The Dodge Avenger was given a thorough overhaul for 2011 that dramatically improved it in virtually every respect, yet it easily remains the worst midsize sedan. Chiefly, this speaks to the abysmal depths in which this Caliber-based family car once resided. It also shows how good midsize sedans have become. Drive a new Ford Fusion and then drive a Dodge Avenger. We challenge you to not laugh out loud at the idea that they are supposedly competitors.

Beyond its admittedly cool name and gutsy optional V6, the Avenger has little going for it. The base four-cylinder is unrefined and attached to a four-speed automatic. The backseat and trunk are tiny. Common features like a rearview camera are unavailable, the cabin design is rudimentary and the tall seating position forces its driver's head into the roof. True, the price is low, but frankly it should be.

Dishonorable mention goes to the closely related Chrysler 200.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I had no idea they even still made the Avenger. I thought the last Avenger they made was the one from the 90's that was a wretched turd but looked kind of cool.

Chrysler should get some kind of award for being able to make a car so bland and uninspiring that people don't even know it exists.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info