Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/07/corvette-c6-r-program-could-be-a-victim-of-its-own-success/

Ever since the end of the factory Dodge Viper racing program, the American Le Mans Series GT1 class has been dominated by the factory C5R and C6R Corvettes. For a while they were challenged by assorted Panoz GTR1s, privateer Vipers, Ferrari 575s and Aston Martins. In 2007, aside from an Aston Martin at Sebring, the 'Vettes have had the GT1 class to themselves.

Without some serious challengers there really isn't any point in GM continuing to fund the program. Program Manager Doug Fehan has said that they would only run unopposed for one year. If Aston Martin, Ferrari or someone else doesn't step up to the plate, 2007 is likely to be the last year for the factory C6R GT1 program. The team will definitely run at Le Mans next year but anything else is unclear right now. Beyond 2008 the team could switch to GT2 where they might challenge all the 911s and F430s.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
Smokinhot00ta said:
LeddZepp8687 said:
:bsflag:

Vettes are slow, ESPECIALLY C6Rs

:bigthumb:

This coming from a guy were FORD has NO PART in these!!! ;)

FGT 600RE. Ever seen one? Probably not, they are only made in england IIRC, nothing really special, just some suspension tuning, ect.

I has. Theys Fast. There was one gobbling up C6 Z06s at road america.

I really dont give a shit anyways. C6R=Not streetable. therefore its ghey.

bluzohh6

The system works
Jul 2, 2007
Elgin, IL
ehhhh the fact that they don't really build an affordable car that can compete with other american cars for starters. Their 60k mustang doesn't really hang with the z06, and for 225k you can build a z06 to beat the gt so, I just don't like the direction ford goes......ever. Also you can buy a viper and build it to beat the gt as well for the same price as you would pay for a stock gt

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
bluzohh6 said:
don't get me wrong the gt is sweet but for 175-225k its not worth it to me because ultimately its still a ford, even though most of the car was outsourced to other companies to build. Looks cool, my boss has one that is TT

Yes, I know who Ryan is. He has many cool cars.

And honestly they sell for the 150ish thousand range. I saw one for 140 at a local ford dealer.

Lately they really havent offered any affordable performance cars. The GT500 is on the High side and doesnt really hang with the Z06 but its still Badass IMO. And BTW, The Ford GT and The C6 Z06 Killed the Viper at Nurburing.

Honestly though, Despite it not being very fast the Fusion is a nice car inside and out, it gets great reviews. I test drove one, they handle awesome, and have decent acceleration.

The quality on thier newer models is awesome. Yes I am biased some but I had someone drive my car about 40 miles (the Escape) and they said they like it WAYYY more than thier Rav4. Dont really know what to say. Ford sold more Escapes than Rav4s for a while, they just passed them up a month ago by a couple hundred units. Still a very well built car. IMO GM's midline SUVs feel too cheap. Upper end tho, :bigthumb: Denail's and other like models are AWESOME! Dodge just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
bluzohh6 said:
And I don't know about at nurberg but the latest test of the viper vs. the z06, the viper beat the vette all around. Not too happy about this but I guess when you have 100 more hp anything is possible

This test was when they "Re-Did" the viper.. The SRT-10. like the 05-06 era. I havent seen any tests on the new one. But I really dont like the viper anyways.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
bluzohh6 said:
i looked at them and they kind a suck still, I would still go for a vette, the interior is exactly like the interior of my ex's Jeep Liberty, same radio, air vents, switches, cheap dash etc, but it is an eye catcher and you definatly don't see as many vipers as vettes.

I know right. Its basically just an Ego Booster. I've ridden in one, and Driven one around for like 5 minutes. Yea it was badass, but thats cause its such an eyecatcher. Yea it handles nice, but for the price it better. Honestly the interior is lame for the price like you said. Same shit you could probably find in a Grand caravan. Lmao.

And I drove a Jag XK8 home after I drove the viper and I ffelt more satified. :bowdown:

Id totally rock a Ford or the Z06 over one.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
bluzohh6 said:
I guess my big gripe with the mustang is you really cant do too much on a road coarse with it, unless you put tons of money into it, you can only really go kind of fast straight

Honesly man, You can really make those things handle for next to nothing (money wise) We had a C5Z06 run amongst some SHOs and other cars at Grattan Raceway. There was an 05 Mustang with some wide meats and some lowering springs that blew the doors off most the cars on the track. Z06 Included. I was super impressed.

You really gotta factor in all the aftermarket parts available for it. They honestly can be made to handle for not a whole lot.

LeddZepp8687

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Warrenville, IL
syP said:
my SHO handled better than *

no wait.. my grand prix did :420:

Lol.

Honestly the SHO doesnt really even handle that well. I mean they are pretty good but in stock form you would be battling newer Mazdas and stuff on the track. SHOs handle nice and are really predictable in corners which is nice but there are so much better cars out there.

I still love mine. Ill like it even more when its Under 3k pounds, Gutted, Caged and Ricky Gonzalez'd. :wiggle:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info