Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Just the Facts:

• The next-generation Nissan GT-R (R36) may not be officially approved at Nissan.
  • A source tells Inside Line that Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn has not yet given the go-ahead to design and engineer the car.
  • Nissan officially has no comment on the subject.

SANTA MONICA, California
— A source close to the project tells Inside Line that the next Nissan GT-R has not yet been approved for production. Company CEO Carlos Ghosn, we're told, has not given the go-ahead to design and engineer the car. And he may never give it the green light.

In other words, it's possible that the Nissan GT-R in its modern form is a one-hit wonder.

Five years ago, the GT-R created a global phenomenon due to its combination of extreme performance, high technology and low price. Since then, Nissan's engineers have been slowly refining the R35 with subtle changes to its styling, suspension and engine output.

But all that time we assumed an all-new, fully redesigned model was in the works, possibly for the 2014 model year. There has even been speculation that the next-generation GT-R would get a hybrid drivetrain to keep it on the good side of the efficiency scale.

Now, it's increasingly looking like that's not going to happen. At first, rumors began to circulate that the next GT-R (R36) was delayed to the 2018 model year and it would receive another face-lift in 2013 to try to keep the car fresh for longer. Then we dug a little deeper and found out that development of the R36 hasn't even started yet.

Inside Line called Nissan for an official comment on the topic and received this brief e-mail reply from a company spokesman. "I cannot comment on that speculation and cannot comment on future product plans for the GT-R."

Although Ghosn was a champion for the GT-R project back in 2009, his new pet project, the all-electric Nissan Leaf is on the other side of the automotive spectrum. Ghosn approved the original GT-R only after being assured that it would make money for the company even at low volumes. Since its introduction, GT-R sales have added up to just 5,914 units and they have slowed recently to just 583 this year.

Add into the equation that the R35's chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno recently retired and it's easy to see why the next GT-R in in jeopardy.

Inside Line says: Come on, Carlos. Let them build it!

Next-Generation Nissan GT-R Might Not Happen

ibarScyZrZI8wF.gif

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I don't understand why there's so much fear over a new model not being ready for next year. It's only been out for 6 model years now, which is nothing. They can run this current design with small modfications every couple years for a looooooong time. I don't see why they wouldn't want to stretch this car out for a while. Hell, even the Murcielago ran for 10 model years. I don't understand the rush for the next model with every car over the last decade.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I assumed the first year was to hook everybody and get them out there and that's why they were so cheap. Are they profitable now being like 30-40k more? :dunno:

Then again they've had lapses in production in the past so maybe they stop production a few years again?

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Izzy,

Where did you get the cropped Shauntony's logo that is in your avitar?

Lose. I asked the same question above also. I'm not sure where to find that info nor have I tried.

I thought I read that somewhere before. But wanted to confirm. I can't see how it would be hard to believe a company would discontinue a product that they lose money on year after year. haha I understand they built the car to prove they could and look into new technologies. But you can not expect them to continue on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info