📰 Auto News Nürburgring goes bust, EU not planning to help

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/17/nurburgring-goes-bust-eu-not-planning-to-help/

The Nürburgring is officially broke. According to various German sources, the only chance the owners of the 'Ring have to fend off bankruptcy is if the track gets 13 million euros of new life injected into it. Problem is, state officials have said it's not going to happen.

In other words, the Nürburgring will go into administration and its future will at least in part be decided in court. Also up for debate will be the legality of 524 million euros worth of funding that the state has already pumped into the track, an amusement park with hotels and a shopping mall that make up the local attraction.

Reports indicate that the rest of 2012 will proceed as planned at the 'Ring. After that, it's anybody's guess what will happen to the famous German racetrack.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
The cost to run that place is huge. The upkeep, overhead etc...... All that adds up. I don't follow this track all to often so I don't know how much it's actually used. But if you don't hold regular events, open track days, etc it's going to fail due to no money plain and simple.
Yeah all the big name auto companies use it to test and try to smash records but I'm sure they are charged very little if any.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yeah all the big name auto companies use it to test and try to smash records but I'm sure they are charged very little if any.

I know that is not true. When I talked to SVT's nameplate engineer he said the reason they did not rent the track for a "official time" (because there really is no official time) on the 2013 GT500 was cost. The fee to rent the track is huge. So much so that SVT was not interested in renting the track. Instead they did some testing on the track with everyone else.

The $13 million just gets the track operating for a limited time. With out a solid business plan to profit in a short time no one is going to invest in it. Would I like to see it stay open? Sure. Do I think millions of dollars of the states money should be lost every year for it to stay open? nope. It is not the only track in the world. There are plenty other tracks out there.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I know that is not true. When I talked to SVT's nameplate engineer he said the reason they did not rent the track for a "official time" (because there really is no official time) on the 2013 GT500 was cost. The fee to rent the track is huge. So much so that SVT was not interested in renting the track. Instead they did some testing on the track with everyone else

Sometimes Ford BS's too. They once said that an IRS rear in the S197 would have turn off buyers due to the cost. It turned out to be under $100.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
The unit itself may have been $100. There is a lot more that goes into the pricing than the part cost. Like warranty cost on parts & labor and a whole lot more I am sure.

It is a track that 99% of us will never drive on. So who cares if it goes under? It has been around for a long time and just became the place to get numbers (again, there is no official full track times anyways) from in the past several years. There are many other tracks out there. One will become the new popular spot.

I am MUCH more worried about the local tracks I use not going under than some track over seas. As well as a whole lot more important things.

Chrisco

is a work in progress
Jan 26, 2008
Downers Grove, IL.
I'm surprised all of the auto manufacturers don't fund some sort of independent, separate interest that runs and maintains the track for them. Aren't they the main users of the course for commercial purposes?

Yeah, all those manufacturers that are doing so economically well :drums:

This is pretty shitty, but not unlike the situations that most race tracks are constantly in. They just don't really make money and are super expensive to maintain.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
old man money bags to the rescue!

Bernie Ecclestone was apparently quite serious when he said he would "do everything" to save the troubled Nürburgring. In fact, according to a new report from Bloomberg Businessweek, the megalomaniacal Formula One boss might just buy the track outright. That'd certainly be a quick answer to the 'Ring's financial troubles.

That said, Bloomberg reports that Ecclestone has no plans to organize a Formula One race on the Nürburgring at his own expense. Furthermore, Ecclestone has declined to comment on pricing or conditions for the alleged agreement.

The Nürburgring's severe debt crisis is hardly news – the legendary track has been going through hard times for a while now, despite efforts to boost revenue by building a roller coaster and shopping mall on the premises. The European Union has refused to bail out the ailing track, as well, specifically because it has bigger fish to fry at the moment (you know, like the declining economies of many of its countries).

A timetable for a potential sale of the Nürburgring to Ecclestone has not been disclosed.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info