đź“° Auto News M5 vs CTS-V

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Brand new platform compared to 5 year old platform. /Thread.

If you watch the video, they said the only thing they would change about the CTS-V would be the navi unit. Also they had nothing but great things to say about the CTS-V, they would rather have it at the track even though it put down slower numbers. Whereas the M5 was faster around the track, just not necessarily "better". Plus the M5 works much better on the road.

I've always liked Road & Track articles.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
In all fairness, the CTS-V is one bitchin' ass car. It's not like it was a blowout. Personally, I would rather have the CTS-V. CTS-V is like a low maintenance corn-fed girl that doesn't give a fuck, and the BMW is a little rich girl all coked up at the club.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Meh, I'd like to see both with 6 speed manual transmissions. The DCT's extra gear certainly helps.

Edit: Looks like both times posted were manuals-http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/original/application/9bccd94b2e804299000526ed5127b74b.pdf

Yeah the video was actually pretty good. They tested the DCT and the manual back to back. DCT was faster, but they posted the manual times just to make sure it was as fair a comparison as possible.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
All the GM guys were tooting their horns when the CTS-V beat the v10 m5, which was dated at that time, now it's BMWs turn.

Nature of the beast. the next gen cts-v will probably trump the current m5, then the next gen m5 will trump that cts-v and so on. No one stays on top for ever. Even the m3 which is standing the test of time and still winning comparo's is starting to show it's age.

This is why I never get butt hurt or toot horns because shit changes and manufactures out do each other. Besides, everything is slow from the factory anyway.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
This pretty much sums it up and if you're in that price range to begin with I'm thinking 25k isn't THAT much of a deal breaker, especially when you consider what it's getting you.

What is 25K getting you.... 25K worth of badges? Because the performance isn't 25K worth.

And also, whoever said the M5 holds it's value is a joke. Most BMW's, save the 3-series and M3, have incredibly poor resale values. Not sure on the CTS-V, but I wouldn't think it's a ton better either. But used M5's was and are "cheap" considering the MSRP's on them even BEFORE the announcement of this new gen coming out. I only know this because I was looking at them for shits and giggles over a year ago... and you could pick one up in the mid/high 30's no problem. Same thing with the AMG lines of Mercedes, ridiculous depreciation on them.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Worked at BMW for 5 years and the 5 and 7 series were in for unscheduled maintenance more than any other car line. It doesn't matter whats covered, if you drive one you better make friends with the loaner car guy and your service writer.

i had a 97 m3 2002-2005, an 89 535i from 2005-2006, and a 04 545i from 2010 til now... obviously none were new and i have never really had any real crazy or pricey issues on these come up, even ignoring that friends and i take care of anything that may pop up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info