help with tie rod ends

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am finishing up my brakes and installing the rest of the suspension back and I am having a issue with the tie rod end. That crazy looking nut will only go on a few threads before the tie rod end bolt itself begins to spin free with it. This seems to be an issue since it won't let me tighten the nut down enough. Any thoughts or solutions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
so you try to tighten the castle nut on the tie rod end that goes through the steering knuckle, and it just spins... doesnt tighten?

put some pressure on the tierod end where it goes through the knuckle. if its from the bottom, put a block of wood under it and jack it up to seat the taper part of the joint... then tighten nut...

if the tierod is ontop of the knuckle, then you have to figure out a way to pull it down to seat the joint.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
so you try to tighten the castle nut on the tie rod end that goes through the steering knuckle, and it just spins... doesnt tighten?

put some pressure on the tierod end where it goes through the knuckle. if its from the bottom, put a block of wood under it and jack it up to seat the taper part of the joint... then tighten nut...

if the tierod is ontop of the knuckle, then you have to figure out a way to pull it down to seat the joint.

Yup, it just spins. My passenger side one seems to be fine. The tie rod is on top of the knuckle on my car, so I will see what I can figure out here. Thanks for the help.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
The end of the tapered ball joint shaft should have a hex end on it. You should be able to use a small socket that will fit up into the nut and hold it while you thighten the castle nut.

Also, try cleaning up the threads and putting some oil on them. Then the nut will spin on easier - once it reaches the knuckle, it will hold the shaft from spinning so you can toruqe it down.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Giant ass prybar to put pressure on the tie rod..

but it may be FUBAR'd already. Just put a new tie rod in.

Yup dude, FUBAR is right. I took a closer look at it when I got off work a minute ago and it is toast. The hex end of it literally looks like someone took a drill bit to it and made it round and shallow...pretty much all rusted out. I tried putting as much pressure as I could on it without feeling like I was going to break something and it still spun. In all reality it is prolly the original factory rod end with well over 150k on it. Thanks for the help here gents, first time doing a build on my own.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info